Page 100 of 272 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2716

Thread: Primal Journal **Greensprout** page 100

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Up far too late last night, for no particular reason aside from the fact that I could...made myself get up after only about 7 hours sleeping, since I wanted to throw a big old pork shoulder in the slowcooker for garlic pulled pork for dinner. Done, and already smelling lovely. Presently feeling rather tired, maybe I'll nap later, haha. Either that, or get my usual second wind and just make myself get to bed earlier. Most days since I've been off, I'm up until at least 1am...so completely not a great idea...

Today is cooler...the past few days it is already feeling like the height of summer is done and gone...still nice and mid to high 20s during the day, but cooling off a lot more quickly in the evenings, and even the hottest part of the day doesn't quite feel so hot anymore. Too bad, I was really liking the heat. Soon enough it will be back to the -20s and worse...

Nicely crampy and bloated...and just loving that extra 5 lbs of fluid retained over the past 2 days (NOT)...and I'm not kidding about the amount. At least I know it's transient...still a PITA.

Black coffee with steak & 2 eggs for a late breakfast. Felt the need for sweet, so topped it off with a cup of cherries.

No specific plan for today yet...

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    He even let me rub his head a couple of times .
    Lucky you!
    Rubbing freshly buzzed heads is fun

(That was really nice of the hairdresser)

Soon enough it will be back to the -20s and worse...
    Nooooooo!!!!!!

No specific plan for today yet...
    Those are great days
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Nothing particularly productive or exciting today, but that's fine. The afternoon it seemed to be back to Mom's taxi service: take one kid to work, pick up other kid from friend's house, take both along with 2 other boys to the gym, pick up one from the gym, pick the other up half an hour later and drop off the other boys, take both to the dentist...think I'm done now. Kid #1 was picked up by a buddy, and #2 is staying home tonight.

It's raining, that along with cramps leads to no walk today. That's okay too.

Mid afternoon had a bit of beef jerky, some pecans (more of a mouth hungry thing) and a couple squares of dark chocolate.
    Dinner was garlic pulled pork piled on top of mixed greens and slaw mix, topped with organic salsa, 1/4 of a large avocado, and sour cream. Nomnom.

Hubby was doing the cleanup...can't believe he tossed all the drippings in the slow cooker...must have been over 3 cups...and not oversalted like the last time I made this pork...was expecting to use it for something...he didn't even consider that I'd want it...WTH?? Seriously?? How can he not realize that by now?? When I realized what was up and expressed my dismay, he managed to turn it to my fault (in his mind, anyway) since I could hear him cleaning and should have spoken up...really??? All after over a year of saving all sorts of weird food leftover bits?? Whatever. He got a bit pissy about it for some reason, but seems to have gotten over it. Men.

Another thing...I read in other people's journals about making roasts or a whole chicken or whatever, while commenting "I get 3 or 4 meals out of that"...Of course, all homes differ. My pork shoulder was 2.2 kg (4.8 lb) going into the slow cooker. Sounds like lots, right? Well, primal me and hubby, and 2 nearly 6 foot teenage boys post heavy lifting jumped in, and I'd be surprised if the meat left was even 8 ounces. So much for leftovers. No wonder I typically spend a good $250 per week (or more) on groceries for the 4 of us. It's really feeding 4 adults with big appetites.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Mom taxi days...tons of fun...

With five of us here this summer (the "kids" are 22, 19 & 16) we rarely have leftovers...unless I cook TONS of food...Last night we cooked a 10 lb chicken, we had chicken soup tonight and there might be enough chicken for my lunch tomorrow...The other night we cooked 9 thick pork loin chops for 5 of us...I had 1 1/2 left over...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I hear that! And of course, 16 year old son is back into a "bulking" phase with his workouts, so leftover meat really doesn't last very long at all. Now that the other one is starting to workout too, I'm scared...

Suse is offline Senior Member
    whenever we have leftovers there isnt much because we tend not to cook big meals. I think sometimes we should increase the size of what we cook though so that there are enough leftovers for both of us for lunch. More often than not, theres' enough for one, and if the fireman is working I give it to him and end up buying my lunch. It would be so much better, financially as well as health primal wise, if we cooked more... but i think if we have a bigger pot of something then the fireman tends to eat more of it at dinner. hmmm its a balancing act really. Me, I know when I've had enough so have never had a tendency to overeat (welllll except for lollies I suppose )

Enjoy those hot sunny days... as you say it will be over before you know it, and you'll be listening to me talk about how lovely and warm it is, and I'll be listening to you telling me stories about shovelling snow

Let's see...yesterday...puttered around home doing odds and ends. Grumbled a bit that son #1 worked an hour later than expected, so I spent said hour and a bit waiting around to pick him up, then ended up not being able to pick up the CSA box until the traffic was thick. And didn't leave time to make my planned dinner before we were going out.

This time we went to the Brazil pavilion. Didn't eat there, but did have a caipirinha, a drink made with Brazilian cachaca spirit made from sugar cane, with lime juice. Tasty, but a bit sweet for me. The entertainment was fantastic, mainly drum performers and capoeira. Wow. Frigging amazing. The strength, power, agility, speed and grace of these men was amazing. And many of them were not young men, either, so very cool.

Home before 8, made 'zuchetti', grass fed beef meatballs with a from scratch marinara sauce, topped with fresh parmesan. Had a few glasses of red as well. I suppose I should start 'weaning' off holiday levels anytime...Monday back to work is creeping up quickly.

Sleeps: yesterday 7 1/2 hours, today 8 1/2. Still staying up too late. Reality check on the way after the weekend.

Planning to walk today, cramps less as things have started moving along. Is it wrong to be looking forward to menopause??

I should add that the late dinner didn't fill me up...so ended up throwing in later on some beef jerky, 2 pepperoni sticks, and 3 dark chocolate caramel squares, and some pecans. Then I felt too stuffed. Not being up so late would curb this issue. Must remember that.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 08-10-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: late night foods

That thought that the cramps were less today...let's just say that I was quite wrong. Merely a teasing brief hiatus. Tomorrow should be better.

Went for a walk with hubby for about 45 min. He's having a few muscle issues and wasn't prepared to go longer. Some errands including a trip to Costco, where I scored some lovely wild coho salmon.

Decided on an unplanned IF, but included a couple of tsp of coconut oil. Broke the fast after about 17 hours with a vodka soda with lots of lime while making dinner. Yes, I'm still on holiday . We decided to stay in tonight, still have tickets for 2 more pavilions between now and Saturday.

Eats:
    black coffee
    vodka soda
    Wild salmon cooked in butter & thyme with lemon (I congratulate myself on an excellent job at proper doneness ), salad of arugula/spinach/red onion/cucumber/garden grape tomatoes/blueberries & pistachios with a vinaigrette of raspberry balsamic/macadamia oil/touch of avocado oil & evoo/dijon/garlic/shallot/garden lemon thyme. Really good. I also had a second piece of the salmon.

I've been reading through my journal and making some interesting observations. Here's my thoughts from last Sept after eating wedding cake and a bit of other non-primal fare at MIL's wedding...no wonder I've stayed off the grain stuff:

As for me, there was a decent amount of wine consumed, and for the wedding day and yesterday, I did choose to have a few things I haven't in a very long time. A few little potato skins with cheese, a few lemon squares, small piece of wedding cake both days (with extra added fondant frosting...holy crap that was pure sugar, but I grabbed more...surprised myself there), and I'm pretty sure the beef bourguignon had flour added. No doubt non primal oils throughout. And believe me, despite the quantities being not bad at all (well, maybe except for the extra frosting I went back for...more than once), I ended up with the past 2 days with gassiness and belly cramps. Not really cramps, but sort of like my entire gi tract has been scraped up by ingested sharp bits of gravel, or something similar. I'm guessing it's more from the grains than the oils and sugar, but who knows. Sure as hell will make me think twice next time.
    I didn't remember it feeling that bad, but the thought must have stayed in there somewhere.

Last night's dinner kept me full till bedtime, which was 1230 (earliest in 2 weeks), though I was still awake at 1. Did have some wine, but no snacking. Up at 8 to get son #1 off to work for 9.

Pretty much felt crappy all day, this period has been the worst in recent memory. WTF?? It was lighter, but 3 days of horrid cramps despite regular naprosyn?? That is not on. Bloaty, and with rumbly belly with some gas to boot. Yes, TMI, I apologize. Actually, I don't...it sucked. Ate breakfast, then had to go lie down in bed again, close to 90 min, but wasn't able to sleep. The breakfast kept me full through the day, ate bits of bacon while prepping for dinner (maybe equivalent to 3 slices?).

We went to the Africa/Caribbean pavilion tonight. The show was okay, not spectacular. Hubby had a Caribe beer and I had water.

Eats:
    black coffee
    945: 3 egg omelet with salmon, cream cheese & scallions
    bottle of kombucha mid afternoon, lots of herbal iced tea (hibiscus, lemon & mint)
    430: bacon while cooking, handful of pecans (bad, but they were right beside me...well the pantry was beside me...)
    630: caesar salad (homemade dressing) topped with tiny bit of fresh bacon bits and a few slices of flank steak (marinated in evoo/balsamic/fresh thyme & rosemary, then grilled). Not a big dinner at all, still feeling sort of off and crampy at the time.

A glass of wine at the moment. Feeling almost human.
    Last edited by Greensprout; 08-11-2011 at 08:53 PM.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Wine will do that.