Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on working out on an empty stomach? page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

What's the verdict on working out on an empty stomach?

Primal Fuel
    For me, the best time to work out is upon waking, when I usually don't have an appetite.
    "Work out" means strength training with free weights/machines, or a long walk.
    Will working out on an empty stomach necessarily aid weight loss?

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Working out on an empty stomach is fine. Calories will aid your weight loss more than anything though some people claim there is fat loss benefits working out on an empty stomach. Personally, I do it all the time
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Though I don't have any sources to back up the claims, supposedly working out before you eat causes your body to mobilize more fat for energy since your glycogen stores are depleted from hours of (sleep) fasting.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Though I don't have any sources to back up the claims, supposedly working out before you eat causes your body to mobilize more fat for energy since your glycogen stores are depleted from hours of (sleep) fasting.
    Yes i have heard this too. To expand on what you are saying, your body in the morning is at a fasted state which you mentioned. It's not so much about fat mobilization it's due to the fact that there is no food readily available to be used for energy. For example, if you have eaten 3 or 4 hrs prior to exercise, your body will burn that first. I have only heard this from a cardio training point. So if you run on a treadmill for 45 min and it approximately burned 300 kcals then you just really burned what you ate. haha, maybe you pretty much said the same thing.

To the OP, calories matter in my opinion in aiding weight loss. If you plateau at some point, I would try switching up your workout routine and check your diet again.

I personally prefer to do cardio on an empty stomach and not because of depleted glycogen stores. I like to do it as soon as a wake up. If I'm a little hungry, I drink coconut water while on the run. As for weight training, I do it when I have the best energy and this normally I do 6 hrs after I eat. I just feel sluggish and maybe it's in my head but I feel like my stomach is still digesting what i ate. I wait till I'm a bit hungry then i drink my post workout shake while I'm working out.
    Last edited by cayla29s; 08-29-2012 at 10:35 PM.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I've been working out fasted the past couple of days as I'm off work, and going to the gym before breakfast as I don't really eat in the morning.

Workouts are stronger than ever!

loganchristopher is offline Junior Member
    I would at least recommend some BCAA before training.

Faster training isn't so recommended because of the potential muscle loss. But no one knows for sure.

Try it and if it works for you than it's fine

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good, thanks everybody
    Today I started my strength training with 10 min stationary bike and 25 min going moderately on the treadmill. This was about three hours after eating - I woke up starved - but it was easy enough to where I plan to start going on an empty stomach.

I love the feeling of working out on an empty stomach. Also, there are benefits to be had in delaying your post-workout meal by an hour, as this allows for optimal growth hormone release and fatty acid mobilisation (apparently). Works for me.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did it for the last couple of years. Recently switched to the evening because it works better with my eating window. Will go back to fasted training if I don't like the results. I really miss knowing that when I get off work, I'm done for the day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast