Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on working out on an empty stomach?

Shop Now
    I always train in the morning on an empty stomach. That is whether I'm doing weights or HIIT or anything else for that matter. I have found no need to eat anything at all before or during any activity. After weight training I will eat within an hour or two. After HIIT I wait at least two hours. With anything else its when I'm hungry. Today I walked for an hour and had breakfast at around 1:30.

I always work out in a fasted state and prefer it. But not starving. Most of the time when fasting I’m not hungry at all but there have been times when I was really hungry, and working out, and it caused me to have trouble focusing on my lifts because all I could think about was the delicious dinner I was going to prepare and eat once I was done.
    Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 08-30-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: me grammer no good 2day
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

I prefer to work out before eating. Can only do it of a weekend though. Nothing worse than doing intense circuit training just an hr after my evening meal.

anytime i've tried without eating and became nauseated. I have to eat something or my energy level has plummeted.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Verdict: Fasted training is the balls.
    "The balls" is good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    For me, the best time to work out is upon waking, when I usually don't have an appetite.
    "Work out" means strength training with free weights/machines, or a long walk.
    Will working out on an empty stomach necessarily aid weight loss?
    I consistently work out before I eat. Early morning work outs are great as I work up a great appetite.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

I prefer working out on an empty stomach, but I've heard arguments from both sides on whether working out empty or fueled burns more fat, so I can't give a verdict on that. I just do it based on personal preference.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

For me, it depends on which workout I'm doing.
    I do cardio fasted in the morning, and it works well for keeping my fat level low. For resistance (rings) I start out in a fasted state in the morning also, but I'll have a recovery drink with me and sip on it between exercises. For boxing workouts, which I do in the evening, I'll have something 2.5 to 3 hours beforehand. Not a full meal, but just enough to sate my appetite. Protein, carbs, and fat.

Verdict is its GOOD.

Shop Now
    I gathered Nickhammer, THANKS.