Thread: Excessive thirst? page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

Excessive thirst?

Primal Fuel
    Around midday and after dinner, despite sufficiently sipping on water throughout the day, I get excessively thirsty and want to drink tons. To my understanding, that's a symptom of elevated insulin - how is that possible if I'm eating cucumbers and chicken fried in ghee?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal?

Slightly less than two weeks. I do have a history of insulin resistance but I don't recall having these symptoms as badly before.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Have you been checked for diabetes insipidus? Or diabetes 1 1/2? Apparently it involves autoimmune antibodies against insulin-producing cells like Type 1, but not as severely, whereas Type 2 is just a reaction to to many carbs over too long a period, and it CAN be overcome w/o insulin.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    I am always much more thirsty went eating very low carb (and have NO insulin issues)- I always figured it was because water is a by-product of carbohydrate metabolism and when you're eating minimal carbs you have a greater need for water. But that could, of course, be my own flawed pseudo-science.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Do you salt your food? Coffee? Exercise? If not maybe you are genuinely thirsty. If you are peeing then I would not worry too much about it. See your doctor if you really are concerned.

I do pee pretty plentifully.
    I have a history of insulin resistance and was tested - I was described as prediabetic, which is more an allusion to developing type II rather than actually having type I.
    My food is sometimes salty.
    I'm interested in what BratKat said. That sounds really interesting.
    I've always loved water like a fish, I just want to make sure it's not anything serious that I'm suddenly thirsty all night.