Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Skipping Meat Okay? page

5kfunrun is offline Junior Member

Question Is Skipping Meat Okay?

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I'm really new to this whole Primal Eating lifestyle. Prior to changing up my diet, I was almost Vegetarian. I'm finding that if I eat meat all week, I start feeling a little overwhelmed by all of the animal protein. Is it okay to skip eating meat for a meal or two? For example, this morning I didn't quite feel like I could handle bacon and eggs today, so I drank a glass of raw milk (yeah, yeah, I know it's not totally primal and had some fruit.

Thanks so much!

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    It's totally OK.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Who says raw milk isn't primal? It's in a "grey area", as Mark says, but it's fine if you can tolerate dairy. The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

You don't have to eat meat for every meal if you don't want to... unless someone has a gun at your head, which I doubt is the case! I only eat two meals a day, but today I'm eating 3 for a reason that's not important. For breakfast I made a smoothie out of coconut milk, macadamia nuts, water, ice, and some spices and seasonings. No meat, but good amount of protein and fat to hold me over to my actual lunch.

Just listen to your body, which is what it seems like you're doing already. But if you find that you are not consuming enough protein and too many carbs, you may need to find a meat you enjoy. Do you like seafood? Many times I enjoy a can of tuna with home-made mayo and veggies for my "first meal"!

Also, on a side-note, I was basically vegan before I started living a paleo/primal/whatever-you-wanna-call-it lifestyle. Talk about shock! I know what you're going through when it comes to re-introducing animal products, and so do these folks:

Sweetly Raw: Coming Out - My World Upside Down, To Right Side Up
    A Former Vegan confesses how Veganism was destroying her health

(They're not necessarily primal, but they talk about benefits of reintroducing meat.)
    Last edited by MissJecka; 08-29-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

5kfunrun is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Who says raw milk isn't primal? It's in a "grey area", as Mark says, but it's fine if you can tolerate dairy. The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

You don't have to eat meat for every meal if you don't want to... unless someone has a gun at your head, which I doubt is the case! I only eat two meals a day, but today I'm eating 3 for a reason that's not important. For breakfast I made a smoothie out of coconut milk, macadamia nuts, water, ice, and some spices and seasonings. No meat, but good amount of protein and fat to hold me over to my actual lunch.

Just listen to your body, which is what it seems like you're doing already. But if you find that you are not consuming enough protein and too many carbs, you may need to find a meat you enjoy. Do you like seafood? Many times I enjoy a can of tuna with home-made mayo and veggies for my "first meal"!

Also, on a side-note, I was basically vegan before I started living a paleo/primal/whatever-you-wanna-call-it lifestyle. Talk about shock! I know what you're going through when it comes to re-introducing animal products, and so do these folks:

Sweetly Raw: Coming Out - My World Upside Down, To Right Side Up
    A Former Vegan confesses how Veganism was destroying her health

(They're not necessarily primal, but they talk about benefits of reintroducing meat.)
    Thanks for the link. I have to say, I'm reading what this girl went through and I'm so pissed that I was duped into that for so long! I'm so frustrated I could cry - but instead I think I will go for a run with my friend tonight - after I walk my dog. (Don't think my Frenchie can keep up with me anymore )

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I think its ok, I just wouldn't try to avoid it. For instance in the morning, my breakfast is usually a quart of raw milk and couple raw eggs, This is a little lighter on the stomach. Lunch for me is usually meat, and dinner is always really calorie dense with meat and eggs.
    Last edited by BennettC; 08-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's fine. You don't have to eat tons of meat every day and you definitely don't need to eat bacon and eggs every day!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

primal me is offline Member
    Before going primal I would often have meat-free days and since I made the switch I have had those days where I just don't feel like eating meat. As long as you aren't stuffing your face with bread or other non-primal grains then it is probably fine.

What I like most about Mark's plan is that there is no one right way to do this. If I wasn't trying to lose weight I would have more veggie only or fruit only meals since it is summer and that is what is in season. Also Grok wouldn't have always been a successful hunter and probably ate whatever could be gathered many times. I try to keep this in mind when planning meals. Not every meal has to have a meat, a veggie, a safe starch, a fruit and a dairy etc. As long as it is balanced throughout the day/week then I am probably on track.

I do try to eat more protein in the morning because I tend to drop to low blood glucose more often if I start the day with a fruit, but lunch or dinner could just as easily be protein free if I don't want meat. I think it really depends on what your body is telling you, as long as it is not screaming for bagels you are probably going to do all right.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Skipping meat is fine.

As Mark has said countless times, you can do the Primal Blueprint as a vegetarian just fine. You would be utilizing eggs, low-sugar yogurt like Greek, and other sources of dairy, like raw cheese and whole milk and kefir (all three in small doses of course, they pack on calories fast), as your primary sources of protein.

Be wary of too much milk or kefir as they do usually pack a potent amount of sugars, but if you tolerate the dairy, small amounts may prove harmless and even beneficial to you.

This, plus a healthy dose of veggies and you've got the basis for a solid primal-type diet. I say you try it out and see how you do. You can consider bringing meat back in if this doesn't seem to be working out, but at least you know that a vegitarian primal diet is possible.

Vegan primal might be a bit harder, but that's not what we're talking about here, so have at it!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    You can do whatever you want. Be more precise. "Is it OK?" is a vague question.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    describe how one can be overwhelmed by all this animal protein?
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast