Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Skipping Meat Okay? page 2

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, to respond to your "overwhelmed by all this animal protein" comment, dairy and eggs contain animal proteins.

So, you were not really changing the fact that you were consuming animal proteins simply by switching from meat to milk.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I often have days where I don't eat any meat at all. Those days I am typically eating eggs and cheese instead and quite a bit of them. Nothing wrong with it at all.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

sezzajezza84 is offline Junior Member
    I was vegetarian/pescatarian for 12 years until 6 months ago, and still only feel like meat a few times a week - almost exclusively lamb and beef (pork and chicken just don't do it for me). I also eat fish a few times a week though.

I eat eggs and yoghurt (either sheep's or greek) almost daily though, and love fetta cheese, so I do like animal protein. That being said - I wouldn't call myself primal just yet (or ever - I'm personally wary of applying labels to my diet, except for the vegetarian thing) but I definitely eat significantly less sugar and grains than I did 2 years ago, and I'm enjoying being creative and finding ways to replace those things (mashed cauliflower is a great new discovery! as is raw dark chocolate - honestly don't know how I enjoyed cadbury's and other trash).
    So I think as long as you're taking steps to eat a variety of more nutrient dense whole-foods and less overly processed stuff, you're probably doing yourself a world of good. Besides, isn't Mark's wife pescatarian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

5kfunrun is offline Junior Member
    Sorry about being vague. By "Ok" I meant not eating something that has wings or 4 legs at every meal. I spent the past several years eating meat maybe once a week, and am still getting used to animal protein.

However, since I've been eating this way for about 2.5 weeks now, I feel amazing and can barely sit still!!!

Just don't want to screw up the good thing I've got going on right now

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Animal protein is really healthy though and is probably a big part of why you feel so amazing. I feel at my very best after a meal of really good steak, cooked simply, and not too much else. Maybe some nice wine to go with it.
    Never understood the "too much meat - blah" feeling that some people talk about. That said, there is no particular reason you've got to eat meat every meal or even every day.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i don't eat meat everyday. yesterday i had eggs for breakfast and salmon for dinner. i'm a small woman so my servings of protein are not usually all that big anyway. even at that, red meat is so much more filling than white meat i often can't even finish my portion.

you might want to try different cuts and different kinds of meat too. offal can be a whole new world of flavor and texture, is inexpensive and super super good for you. not all birds are chickens either.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5kfunrun View Post
    By "Ok" I meant not eating something that has wings or 4 legs at every meal.
    Good god, of course it's okay not to eat meat at every meal! It's even okay if you have some meals without eggs and dairy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    People -

Animals are meat.

Birds, fish, cows, sheep, goats, frogs and crocodiles - all meat. Don't tell me you don't eat meat, then say you had trout for breakfast.

Don't use "Meat" as a confining term for cow, pig & chicken flesh. It is any muscle from any thing that has muscles and guts.

The agreement here is that everyone thinks you should be eating some sort of animal protein. It doesn't have to be muscle meat and it doesn't have to be from a cow/pig/chicken. It can be from marine life, insects or any other animal protein source. If you don't like a specific animal - don't eat it. But, eat some kind of animal.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Animals are meat.

>>snip

It is any muscle from any thing that has muscles and guts
    you''re going all word-nerd, but not including offal as meat?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    you''re going all word-nerd, but not including offal as meat?
    Haha - oops!
    I didn't proof read that sentence before posting. There's "Guts", but I forgot to take out the first "Muscle".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast