Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down but not out page

~Rowdy~ is offline Junior Member

Down but not out

Shop Now
    After breaking my back snowboarding I've struggled with weight and fitness since. I got down to a weight I was happy at with exercise alone, but this past year and a half has kicked my @$$ as far as being able to exercise goes. 3 surgeries removing lumps (thankfully all benign) that all had a longer than anticipated recovery time, then topping off my year breaking my ankle snowmobiling.

I've never had to diet and always just maintained my weight working out and being active. I have now since ballooned up just under 160lbs and I am a 27 year old 5'4 female. I hate the idea of a diet but this seems more like a lifestyle change. I am still slightly skeptical however and wondering if this is for me.

But with all that said, I want to be happy when I look in the mirror again. So, starting September 3/12 I will be attempting the 90 day Journal. So here goes nothing.

Farewell pizza and beer. I will miss you.

oh and the biggest reason I wanted to try this way is my brother who has been overweight his whole life dropped 40lbs with NO exercise. But then again, going from eating microwave dinners to eating actual food, who wouldn't drop that weight.

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! I just started as well, a little less than two weeks ago. So far so good, no immediate results for me but I've gotten away from that insulin roller coaster. We have similar stats - I'm 5'5" and weigh 165. I want to get down to around 140. Maybe we'll hear more from each other around the boards

Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    Good luck! I just started as well, a little less than two weeks ago. So far so good, no immediate results for me but I've gotten away from that insulin roller coaster. We have similar stats - I'm 5'5" and weigh 165. I want to get down to around 140. Maybe we'll hear more from each other around the boards
    Sounds good! We'll see what happens. I'm currently amping up my workouts so that I work out every day at lunch for an hour and bike ride for an hour after work. Then comes the diet. It all seems so overwhelming and confusing. I'm also very concerned there's going to be a lack of energy with basically no carbs.

Personally, I didn't really notice low-energy. What was awful for me was this really insatiable drive to just eat the carbs. Cold pasta in the fridge, chocolate milk powder by the spoonfull - I was a woman possessed. What was absolutely indispensable and life-saving was what a forum member mentioned to me about supplements. Basically, a carb craving is a deficit in endorphins, which drove you to get more carbs, which amped your endorphins, much like an addiction.
    He suggested supping with GABA and l-tryptophan, amino acids that heal the neurons in your brain, allowing normal regulation of endorphins and serotonin.
    That has helped me immensely. If I do reach for a carb now, I can easily control myself. It's not a need anymore, it's just a craving that I can ignore.

I don't eat "no carb" I eat around 70g average a day. I'm think of lowering it as I get more comfortable with where I am. However, I guess that would seem very low. In terms of energy, it's to my understanding that if you feel sick or tired, you should eat more fat. Some avocado or almonds. This is supposed to train your body to start using fat for energy, instead of carbs.
    I also know that excessive work outs are discouraged - if you get tired, maybe try to tone down the physical exercise until your carb flu passes? Maybe instead of a work out at lunch, take a long walk. Just my amateur suggestion.

What exactly seems overwhelming to you? I am new, but maybe I can help.

He suggested supping with GABA and l-tryptophan, amino acids that heal the neurons in your brain, allowing normal regulation of endorphins and serotonin. <---that is overwhelming to me. I have no idea what any of that means. Or how the heck I would even go about supporting with GABA and whatchamacallits....So techy, and I just can't seem to grasp it. I like things like. Eat this, don't eat that, eat small amounts of this. Simple and to the point, lol.

Perhaps my workouts are too "intense" but they weren't 2 years ago when I was 30lbs lighter so I'm having a hard time letting go. Lately I've been feeling bloated constantly and just in general kinda gross. Haven't started Paleo yet so maybe this will alleviate that feeling.

I'm not an expert nor was I ever in shape while eating the standard American diet (SAD for short). So I can't chime in there. There's a lot of helpful people around the board and I'm positive you'll get some good advice.

To clarify, when you eat lots of carbs, they raise levels of certain chemicals in your brains. These chemicals give you a good feeling, or a type of high. After these chemicals taper off, you crash, and you crave that high again. It's like a drug, so it puts you in a vicious circle.
    You can help produce these chemicals naturally in your brain so that you don't crash, and don't crave the high anymore. This can be achieved by using supplemental pills with amino acids.

I feel gross and bloaty too, and definitely as if I'm gaining weight. But I'm trying to stick in there as best I can - I still have to give it some time.

I also hear that in the first few weeks of Primal, your body isn't adjusted to large amounts of fat/protein, so digestion can be slow and still bloaty.
    Also, today someone mentioned that to prevent feeling bloated, try to avoid drinking water 30mins before and after meals.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey, welcome. Dont worry about no carbs meaning no energy. Just keep the good fats high and ul be fine. Fat is a more efficient, longer lasting energy source than carbs. There are 9 calories per gram of fat and only 4 calories per gram of carbs. Fat rules.

Sounds like your going to be training alot, aslong as your eating to support all that effort, you'll make your goals no problem.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Rowdy~ View Post
    Farewell pizza and beer. I will miss you.
    I miss them too. But not as much as I like bacon and red wine. When I started my weight loss regime in March, I did no exercise as it tends to make me hungry. I've got used to eating much less volume but better food nutritionally. I calorie count and have dark chocolate every day and red wine three times a week. I have no doubt that you will feel benefits quite soon.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    I'm not an expert nor was I ever in shape while eating the standard American diet (SAD for short). So I can't chime in there. There's a lot of helpful people around the board and I'm positive you'll get some good advice.

To clarify, when you eat lots of carbs, they raise levels of certain chemicals in your brains. These chemicals give you a good feeling, or a type of high. After these chemicals taper off, you crash, and you crave that high again. It's like a drug, so it puts you in a vicious circle.
    You can help produce these chemicals naturally in your brain so that you don't crash, and don't crave the high anymore. This can be achieved by using supplemental pills with amino acids.

I feel gross and bloaty too, and definitely as if I'm gaining weight. But I'm trying to stick in there as best I can - I still have to give it some time.

I also hear that in the first few weeks of Primal, your body isn't adjusted to large amounts of fat/protein, so digestion can be slow and still bloaty.
    Also, today someone mentioned that to prevent feeling bloated, try to avoid drinking water 30mins before and after meals.
    Thanks, that is very helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only "bloaty" person out there, haha. I will keep that in mind for the first few weeks. No water 30min before or after.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey, welcome. Dont worry about no carbs meaning no energy. Just keep the good fats high and ul be fine. Fat is a more efficient, longer lasting energy source than carbs. There are 9 calories per gram of fat and only 4 calories per gram of carbs. Fat rules.

Sounds like your going to be training alot, aslong as your eating to support all that effort, you'll make your goals no problem.

Richard
    Thanks Richard! Yes I'd like to ideally be in wonderful shape for snowmobiling season so I'm trying to amp my routine up. This is my first week of gym every day at lunch and mountain biking after work. I will have to tamper with eating when sledding comes around because man oh man I know I burn a TON doing that. Even more so than kick boxing or mountain biking. People that think sledding is easy have never gone big mountain, haha.

Try rolling over 500lbs by yourself in snow you sink in! haha
    rollover.jpg

Or get stuck on a flat because its snowed 4ft and you have to dig a HUGE pit
    420059_10151369437895111_208839670_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I miss them too. But not as much as I like bacon and red wine. When I started my weight loss regime in March, I did no exercise as it tends to make me hungry. I've got used to eating much less volume but better food nutritionally. I calorie count and have dark chocolate every day and red wine three times a week. I have no doubt that you will feel benefits quite soon.
    Well I do love dark chocolate and wine. But busting out a bottle of wine at the trailhead at the end of the day is a little hard haha. I like vodka water with a splash of real lime juice so I think that will be my apres drink from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast