Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should everyone over 50 take statins? page 2

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ooh, ooh. Can I invent a boogie man and sell a pill to keep him away, too?! Hmm, your chelated copper is high. If you don't take this pill I'm selling, your eyes will start falling out soon. Buy, buy, buy!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Statins are for wimps.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Statins CREATE wimps. I see them rotting in the hospital.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

I can SMELL them rotting in hospital and wish I couldn't.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I take their wimpy BLOOD and it's...actually kind of fun!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Hmmm ... suddenly Phlebotomy is sounding like a lotta fun.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Three years ago I had a heart attack. Stopped taking statins after a month because they and the other drugs I was given were debilitating. I couldn't squat without severe pain, steps were a problem and walking uncomfortable. No such issues before the medication.

Twelve months ago I had a stress-echocardiogram involving the Bruce protocol. I lasted 12.5min, having been at max heart rate for several minutes. If I can do that without the aid of statins, I can't think who could benefit from them if they first got lifestyle in order
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    In my past life I was a research nurse. I wasn't involved in the above study so I can't really comment on it. I was involved in another statin study though. Yes, it was paid for by the drug company. All of the study participants and co-ordinators (nurses and Dr's) had to sign documents every year to say that they had no financial interests/investments with the drug company involved.

In the statin study I was involved in we gave clients with 'normal cholesterol' levels but who had kidney disease (high risk group for heart/vessel disease) a statin. We eventually showed a 7% reduction in heart/vessel disease events.

Immediately all renal Dr's rush out to prescribe statins to all of their patients.

I don't think that we should dismiss a study simply because a drug company funded it, I'm sure there are some studies that are completely flawed because of this, but its generally not the case. Every single medication you take has been researched by the drug company that manufactures it. I don't see us all swearing off Aspirin or Ibuprofen because a drug company researched its safety for human consumption.

I think it would be great to see some studies into the effectiveness of lifestyle/diet change on a normal cholesterol level - but then who's going to fund that? A study of diet and lifestyle change would likely show a vastly more dramatic drop in events than statins ever would, and we all know it. Trying to get most people to make those changes is near on impossible though, whereas most people will take a tablet if their Dr tells them they should.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Medicating the healthy is a stupid and dangerous idea. Studies that show increased longevity from statins take MI and other high-risk patients as their population. Studies on the healthy show slightly fewer deaths from MI but that is offset by increase cancer, suicide, and random seeming deaths. Mark has posts with links if you're interested.
    Selling medicing for the sick to the healthy is a pharma CEOs wet dream.
    Also, newspapers never get anything right about health and research. Best not to read at all.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    The 1 in 10,000 figure for patients experiencing muscle pain is ludicrous. I work in a small pharmacy and have had several patients complain of leg pain after starting statins-- and I suspect that many others may be affected, but it just doesn't occur to them to complain about it, because how could their "cholestrol pill" cause muscle pain?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast