Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetics – Blood Sugar Solution page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

Diabetics – Blood Sugar Solution

Primal Fuel
    All, I have been Primal now for almost 1 year, Sept 5 will be my Primal Birthday, as of today I have dropped 94 lbs. I have gone from 370 to 276. I am a Type two diabetic. Unlike a lot of Type II’s who have gone Primal, I have not been “Cured” of my diabetes, in fact, I have gotten worse. A year ago, I was on insulin. It was the insulin that helped take me up to 370. After reading Mark’s book, I decided to take myself off of insulin, staying on the oral medications that I was taking. My morning fasting blood sugars have been steadily creeping up over the year and lately they have been in the mid 200’s.

I have been considering going back on insulin. Armed with the food knowledge I have gained from being Primal , I am sure I can keep the weight gain at bay. I mentioned going back on insulin two weeks ago on another thread when someone mentioned to me to check out the Blood Sugar Solution book by Dr. Hyman. Dr. Hyman has a six week plan to “cure” you of Type II diabetes. I though what the hay and bought the book on my nook. Dr. Hyman’s Solution is basically Whole 30 with a bunch of supplements. Since it is six weeks, we will call it Whole 42….. He does allow Legumes, but no fruit. His program is pretty much Paleo, but he is not pushing fats.

I decided to follow it, keeping the eating Primal, but no fruit. It is a butt load of supplements, takes three mouthfuls to get em all down. I am tracking the whole N = 1 experiment in my journal (see the link below if you want to follow along).

I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I am on day three, here are my fasting blood sugars.

Day 1 = 264
    Day 2 = 204
    Day 3 = 184

Going the right direction quickly. I really hope this is it…. I don’t remember who told me about the book, but drop me a PM so I can thank you and give you credit.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

loganchristopher is offline Junior Member
    I am also interested in your journal because I have a friend who's mom has type 2 diabetes. Maybe I can give her some recommendations after I see your success. Keep us updated !

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    strange that you haven't increased your insulin sensitivity, just the act of weight-loss alone aids in that.

I've read some stuff about the blood sugar solution, and I came to the same conclusion you did. Pretty much primal, less emphasis on fat. Having been a type II diabetic, I kinda enjoy reading all I can about it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I love Dr. Hyman's books. His Methabolism book cured me from CW sugar hunger in 2 days! I read Blood Sugar Solution as soon as it was available from the library. His recipes are crap, but his approach is spot on (save for all the supplements he is pushing, lol). He is one of the smartest reads I have gone through.

TM, my sugar problems are insignificant compared to yours (I am just fighting to keep pre-diabetic sugar counts at bay), but I hope it helps you to get healthy!!!

And yay for Kettlebells!!!
    Last edited by Leida; 08-29-2012 at 05:56 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Fingers crossed for you!

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    strange that you haven't increased your insulin sensitivity, just the act of weight-loss alone aids in that.

I've read some stuff about the blood sugar solution, and I came to the same conclusion you did. Pretty much primal, less emphasis on fat. Having been a type II diabetic, I kinda enjoy reading all I can about it.
    Hank, that was what was frustrating me the most, you would think with just the weight loss I would have been doing better. Having read Dr. Hyman's book, I think I have worn my pancreas out. I have been type II for 13 years. With insulin sensitivity, your pancreas kicks out more and more insulin to bring down the blood sugars, at some point it poops out and type II's can become type I's. I think I am getting close to that. The good news, one of the herbs that he recommends, gymnema sylvestre has been proven to help the pancreas rebuild. Hoping that I have caught everything in time...

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I love Dr. Hyman's books. His Methabolism book cured me from CW sugar hunger in 2 days! I read Blood Sugar Solution as soon as it was available from the library. His recipes are crap, but his approach is spot on (save for all the supplements he is pushing, lol). He is one of the smartest reads I have gone through.

TM, my sugar problems are insignificant compared to yours (I am just fighting to keep pre-diabetic sugar counts at bay), but I hope it helps you to get healthy!!!

And yay for Kettlebells!!!
    Leida, wasn't it you who recommended the book to me? If so, thank you so very much....

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    Fingers crossed for you!
    Thanks, I appreciate the support.

My Journal
    My Journal

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Tor, have you implemented some form of HIT sprinting? I too have type II and have done a lot of reading. More than one author has stated that some folks to get their insulin sensitivity back need to do HIT and heavy lifting in addition to losing the pounds. I do this on a recumbent cycle and love it, don't pull hammies or injure myself as other form s of HIT can do.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Tor, have you implemented some form of HIT sprinting? I too have type II and have done a lot of reading. More than one author has stated that some folks to get their insulin sensitivity back need to do HIT and heavy lifting in addition to losing the pounds. I do this on a recumbent cycle and love it, don't pull hammies or injure myself as other form s of HIT can do.
    Yes Moochy I do, I do my HIT in the form of Viking Warrior Conditioning. Speed Kettlebell snatches and I LHTs 3 times a week.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast