Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diabetics Blood Sugar Solution page 5

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My N=1 is my bs was creeping higher and higher doing only one meal per day (dinner). As soon as I added the 8 AM boiled egg and noontime salad to my routine which lowered my total dinner amount of food at 4:30 my bs started to stabilize. Doing dinner only my fasting early AM bs was up in the 140's (now ranging 101-105) and my before dinner was 111-120 with 2-3 hr past dinner around 140. Now I am in the 80-90's at three hours past meals and 80's before bed as long as I do not eat after dinner. I did have to lover my protein from 90 plus grams per day down to between 50-60. I also have to walk a minimum of 1-2 hour every single day to keep the numbers low!! When ever I miss a day they creep slightly regardless of food scenerio.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Time of day is a factor for me. I can eat 1x a day and do really well - if it's morning or noon that I eat. When evening hits (4pm and later) and I eat then, my blood sugar numbers start creeping up.

11am is my prime meal time.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    According to Paleobird’s calculations here it goes…

HSIS
    240 lbs = 108.9 kg
    Protein range = 98 – 118 grams
    Carbs = 54 grams
    Fats = 216 – 378 range ?

Wow, not sure where I would eat all those fats???????
    I figure my protein on the high end of the range and my fat on the low end. Also your idea of HSIS may be a bit high. You're quite tall IIRC but still maybe 220 instead of 240? Not talking about your reasonable mature target weight here. Talking about the weight at which agents would be beating on your door to get you to sign an underwear modeling contract with Calvin Klein.

You might be right, my memory is coming back to me. How I got to the Blood Sugar Solution was on a different thread I had posted where I saw an article on the LA Times website where they talked about an English study that showed where Fasting for 30 days had cured diabetes.

Type 2 diabetes cure, extreme diet - Los Angeles Times
    Interesting. There have been studies with similar extreme fasts which have cured epilepsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    I just tried the formula PaleoBird posted yesterday. My 1 hour post meal number is 178! So high!
    Cutting down the protein to 67g and raising the carbs to almost 30 is not good for me.

I had 340g ground beef, 120g raw carrot, 1.5 cups of canned coconut milk.

Looks like it's back to more protein and less carbs until I'm truly stable. I've noticed I can handle a day of max carbs if my blood sugar level has been steady for a few weeks(it hasn't).
    Wait, wait, wait. Maybe I didn't make that clear. That carb number was meant to be a max limit, not a target to aim for. No need to raise your carbs if you can comfortably keep them lower. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Based on that formula I am eating way too much protein. Guess I need to change up my N=1.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Hank, that was what was frustrating me the most, you would think with just the weight loss I would have been doing better. Having read Dr. Hyman's book, I think I have worn my pancreas out. I have been type II for 13 years. With insulin sensitivity, your pancreas kicks out more and more insulin to bring down the blood sugars, at some point it poops out and type II's can become type I's. I think I am getting close to that. The good news, one of the herbs that he recommends, gymnema sylvestre has been proven to help the pancreas rebuild. Hoping that I have caught everything in time...
    Type 2 Diabetics may indeed damage their pancreas beyond repair and will always be diabetic, but recovery is possible. Type 1 diabetics have antibodies to their pancreatic cells that utterly destroy their pancreas and cannot be cured, only controlled, and with insulin. But there's an interim Type 1.5 diabetes (diabetes insipidus) that shares characteristics with Type 1 in that antibodies may develop much later than usual, thus confounding the diagnosis. D.I. is marked by huge thirst and liquid intake, but often can be controlled enough by diet to avoid insulin for months or maybe years. Eventually, as far as currently known, insulin is on the horizon. My mate has a diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, but so far can manage with very strict (most times) carb control. But it is accompanied by a great intake of water, and bathroom visits. Still wondering.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    My mate has a diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, but so far can manage with very strict (most times) carb control. But it is accompanied by a great intake of water, and bathroom visits. Still wondering.
    Lots of water and frequent bathroom breaks are huge signs of raised blood sugars, I don't think he is managing at all. Just an opinion from a Type II.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    Lots of water and frequent bathroom breaks are huge signs of raised blood sugars, I don't think he is managing at all. Just an opinion from a Type II.
    + 1
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

NextSteps is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with your modifications!! I've read that all oral diabetes II drugs encourage weight gain except metformin. My husband is on a combo of metformin, Victoza (very expensive but also seems to promote weight loss), and mostly paleo/low carb eating. Atkins Diabetes Revolution says that Atkins only prescribed metformin &, as needed, insulin, but that was before the Victoza class of drugs came out. My husband was in the 300 fbs range when diagnosed and now is consistently below 120. But like I say, Victoza is really pricey at sticker $400 per month for the top dosing. We've gotten a lot of samples from the doctor and that helps cut the cost. The drug, if you can tolerate or don't have significant gastrointestinal issues with it, has a terrific track record. I know this is a bit off topic from the 'lifestyle as medicine' flavor of the forum but I wanted to share our success in case it will be helpful. Also from my reading I believe that if it takes insulin to get your blood sugars under control, do it and don't look back.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    That is why we question the Type 2 diagnosis. All of our kids have been hearty drinkers since birth, just like their parent. The blood sugars are fine, says doc a week ago. I don't agree. Metformin has a zombifying effect; insulin not warranted. Glucose monitors used frequently show any deviations from strictness; and work to keep us honest.;-)

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Type 2 Diabetics may indeed damage their pancreas beyond repair and will always be diabetic, but recovery is possible. Type 1 diabetics have antibodies to their pancreatic cells that utterly destroy their pancreas and cannot be cured, only controlled, and with insulin. But there's an interim Type 1.5 diabetes (diabetes insipidus) that shares characteristics with Type 1 in that antibodies may develop much later than usual, thus confounding the diagnosis. D.I. is marked by huge thirst and liquid intake, but often can be controlled enough by diet to avoid insulin for months or maybe years. Eventually, as far as currently known, insulin is on the horizon. My mate has a diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, but so far can manage with very strict (most times) carb control. But it is accompanied by a great intake of water, and bathroom visits. Still wondering.
    I don't think this is correct, actually. Diabetes insipidus is the inabilitiy of the kidneys to retain water, but it has nothing to do with blood glucose control. The only thing the two have in common is the name diabetes but they are very different diseases.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast