Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetics Blood Sugar Solution page 3

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have seen just the opposite using leangains approach, within 3 months my fasting BS went down into the high 90's. I think you are onto something with the amount of time as a type II. As I was a type II for less than a year before starting primal. My morning BS are now between 79-85.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Thanks for the imput, glad to see your BS is down. Lower protien seems to be the theme from everyone. BTW so it is for Dr. Hyman's book, he recommends that most of your calories come from leafy green veggies. I might have to track protiens for a couple of days to see how much I am eating. Anyone know how to calculate how much you should be eating?

I had been doing the Leangains IF'ing for the last 12 weeks and it seems now, that is when my BS started to climb again. I am eating breakfast again and I am seeing the sugars go the other direction.
    Me too!!!

I remember at first I was trying to get 100 grams of protein a day per the .7-1 gram for lean pounds recommended. Now I am averaging 50 plus but it is working for me. I think my ratios are 40-40-20 fats,proteins,carbs for the most part.

Your a guy so your protein needs will be higher than mine but maybe shoot for the lower end at .7 ?? Just a thought, you can add some back later and see how you do. Thats my plan anyway Best of luck!!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    That's around 171 grams of protein a day for me.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    That's around 171 grams of protein a day for me.
    Oh! Wow, thats at .7 per pound of lean mass? dang thats high~ tappin out cause I got nothingdunno.gif

When you do get all the particulars figured out will you please let us know tho?? I would really be curious how this plays out for you.. And thanks again for bringing this up!!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Too much protein is different for everyone.

My number is 90g. I do great with that- but I have to eat under 30g of carbs. I can eat as much fat as I want.
    I'm a 28 year old sedatary female who's paraplegic. I don't get hardly any exercise. 30 minutes of going up and down the wheelchair ramps at my house. Lifting 10lb dumbbells for about 20 minutes 3x a week.

I found my protein number by using one of those online lean body mass calculators. I then took the advice of .5g - 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. I did have to play with it just a little to find the right amount. The calculator came out to 67.5g(too low!) and 135g(too high!) so, I knocked it back to 100, then 90, which ended up being good - that's .66g of protein per pound.

If your blood sugar numbers are better after the first day of restricted protein, keep going with it. They will not be perfect after 1 day of eating, but they should be steadily going down every day, not climbing.

Checking your numbers pre meal and 1, 2 & 3 hours after eating will tell you if your body is handling the load.
    Last edited by Lily Marie; 08-29-2012 at 04:13 PM.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I started a new thread w/ this before I saw your thread: Hoping to get some ideas. Since going low carb/high fat back in April my blood sugar both fasting and post meal has slowly gone down. It was at the point that there was no difference directly before and one hour after a meal and was below 100. It is now consistently above 100 and raised after a meal (same meals I have had before with no change). i am on metformin and have a goal of getting off of them. My weight loss has also stalled. Ideas, thoughts, please...? I am not on insulin and frustrated that the sugars were going down and then suddenly back up. Particularly because i am eating less carbs than ever, most days under 20 grams. Was this the case w/ you Tor or did they just keep going up?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Paleobird Guest
    I saw Dr. Hyman's presentation on PBS. He is almost perfectly in line with everything Mark says except for the allowing legumes and even some whole grains and he also is still stuck in "lean protein" land.

The formula I have been following for staying in ketosis and controlling my seizures is this:

Determine your *ideal* weight in kilos, your Hot Stuff in Swimwear (HSIS) weight.
    HSIS in kilos +/- 10% is your protein range in grams
    HSIS divided by 2 is max carbs
    the rest is fat HSIS x 2-3.5 range.

What would those numbers look like for you?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the formula PB

I just calculated that out and it seems quite low in protein for me. Maybe it'll be good for me to use when I want to max out on my carbs(only 30g). I have noticed that I don't do well when I'm hitting the max protein and the max carbs at the same time.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Thanks people, a lot of good things to think over. Day 4's Morning BS was 191 a slight rise could be because I ate at 10:30 last night.

According to Paleobird’s calculations here it goes…

HSIS
    240 lbs = 108.9 kg
    Protein range = 98 – 118 grams
    Carbs = 54 grams
    Fats = 216 – 378 range ?

Wow, not sure where I would eat all those fats???????
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I saw Dr. Hyman's presentation on PBS. He is almost perfectly in line with everything Mark says except for the allowing legumes and even some whole grains and he also is still stuck in "lean protein" land.
    He is in the lean protein land because he is trying to work on the idea of 'diabesity' and looks at the large spectrum of studies, and a lot of studies point to the fatty meat consumption leading to the increased weight. Which is perfectly true is you eat processed fatty meats or OD it on a steak.

His use of legumes is also understandable because, again, because of the link between satiety and the rare combination of protein and fibre in the legumes. Not all people process legumes the same way, but I know that for myself, legumes are au par with salmon for satiation. I think that soaked legumes will be a good winter food, just like tubers when swapped for berry consumption in the summer.

I am sorry if it sounds like a heresy, but I think it is a mistake to exclude legumes while embracing nuts. Imo legumes have 2 advantages over nuts: satiation and non-addictive nature of food.

Anyway, my 2 cents, off the soap box.

TM, keeping fingers crossed!

I eat coconut oil & creamed coconut (creamed coconut is pretty cheap and clean in the International food isle unlike the coconut oil or coconut manna, which is touted as a health product!)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast