Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetics Blood Sugar Solution page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Leida, wasn't it you who recommended the book to me? If so, thank you so very much....
    Could be, I remember talking about it in a couple of threads, but it doesn't matter, as long as your health improves. I am following the less stringent of his plans now, but am waiting to include legumes till the winter time.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Yes Moochy I do, I do my HIT in the form of Viking Warrior Conditioning. Speed Kettlebell snatches and I LHTs 3 times a week.
    Puff Puff Puff

Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    You need to start measuring out your food and recording your macros (carbs, protein, fat) - just to see where you're at. After knowing about how much you're usually taking in, you need to start playing with amounts. It's possible you're eating way too much protein.

Exercise and weight lifting will get you nowhere as a diabetic unless you fix your intake.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Puff Puff Puff

Yep, that the Viking Warrior. My cadence is 8 in 15 seconds, I don't put the bell down between sets. Also, he said the 80 sets takes 20 minutes, he is wrong, it takes 40 minutes and I have not gotten there yet. You get two 15 second sets per minute....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    You need to start measuring out your food and recording your macros (carbs, protein, fat) - just to see where you're at. After knowing about how much you're usually taking in, you need to start playing with amounts. It's possible you're eating way too much protein.

Exercise and weight lifting will get you nowhere as a diabetic unless you fix your intake.
    Define too much protien..

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post

I have just realized this also in the last month. As a diabetic go easy on the protein, the body can use only so much and then the rest spikes your blood sugar. Read this in a few places and they made sense. We diabetics are messed up.

http://lowcarb4u.blogspot.com/2009/0...ein-raise.html

I read in a few places also that for some diabetics when we very low carb, the liver thinks that it needs to turn up it's abilities to produce sugars and raises our blood sugars. That's what they refer to as the dawn phenomenon. Metformin is usually used to correct that.
    Last edited by Moochy; 08-29-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Tor, have you implemented some form of HIT sprinting? I too have type II and have done a lot of reading. More than one author has stated that some folks to get their insulin sensitivity back need to do HIT and heavy lifting in addition to losing the pounds. I do this on a recumbent cycle and love it, don't pull hammies or injure myself as other form s of HIT can do.
    Moochy, thanks for that link. How many days a week are you doing those sprints on the bike etc?

Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    Moochy, thanks for that link. How many days a week are you doing those sprints on the bike etc?
    Twice a week with a third day (Sunday) of 30 minutes of just riding, not sprinting.

This is my current workout.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    First off I am happy for you that things are looking better!
    I found this thread interesting because of a personal issue with this..
    I started having head-aches a while back and suspected my blood sugars so I began tracking and was alarmed to find my morning 'fasting' BS well over 130 (Higher than normal) and couldn't seem to get them to go lower than 110 no matter what I did. For example before a meal 110, 2 hours later 140, 3 hours later 136, 5 hours later 120~ I was getting a little panicky as I had gained inches in my stomach and could not lose a single inch even when I fasted. I remembered a time when I was around the age of 41 and was at one of the healthiest stages ever in my life. I decided to recreate that time as far as exercise and diet. I have only been doing it for 10 days and these are my current readings~

Before bed 82
    Am Fasting 101
    2 hours post meal 85
    -3 inches from stomach(whew)

Not perfect yet But I am optimistic

Simple day is this:
    Rise at 7, quick cup of coffee, walk for 1-1.5 hour~ I have to do it early for it to work for me, when I was exercising in the latter day I couldn't get the BS down (?)~ Lift heavy every other day~boogie board, bike ride or more walking alternate days.
    Breakfast~Free range boiled eggs, coffee
    Lunch~Salad with low GI vegetables and fried egg on top, sm amount of avocado(same every day)
    Dinner~3-5 oz grass-fed beef or lamb or wild seafood,2 different low-GI cooked vegetables, small amount grass-fed butter

I am seriously working on the premise of "If I want to be smaller, I must eat smaller" and having diabetes is seriously one of my worst fears! I am willing to do anything to prevent it. Even though my feet are killing me from all the walking(ice-bags right now!) and I go to bed hungry most nights!

Here's crossed fingers for us Both and anyone else with this issue!

PS~I did find that less protein seemed to make a difference. I was eating meat at lunch and dinner and also eating dairy. I eliminated all but grass-fed butter (small amounts) and a little cream occasionally and meat only at dinner. I also found that if'ing caused my BS to be all over the board. Just my own personal experience. I actually hate breakfast which is why it is only boiled eggs and coffee. Thats my compromise

Thanks for the imput, glad to see your BS is down. Lower protien seems to be the theme from everyone. BTW so it is for Dr. Hyman's book, he recommends that most of your calories come from leafy green veggies. I might have to track protiens for a couple of days to see how much I am eating. Anyone know how to calculate how much you should be eating?

I had been doing the Leangains IF'ing for the last 12 weeks and it seems now, that is when my BS started to climb again. I am eating breakfast again and I am seeing the sugars go the other direction.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast