Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Unsure about whether I should be including fruit

Shop Now
    Hello...

I just can't seem to decide whether I should be including fruit as a part of my primal diet. I am female and have a little bit more weight to lose (about 15 lbs.) Not sure what info you might want to help me decide. I haven't included it as a part of my primal diet in the almost 2 yrs I've been primal. I just read so much conflicting advice about it that I just can't seem to decide and I have wanted to stay low carb and I read about staying away from fruit if you want to lose, but then I read about adding it and you will see your belly disappear. So... what to do? Females? Fruit? No Fruit? How much? Anyone gone from pretty much no fruit to having it regularly with positive results? I tried to do a search without any results. I wish Mark would do a post about fruit. I tried to search that, too, with no results.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Hello...

I just can't seem to decide whether I should be including fruit as a part of my primal diet. ... I haven't included it as a part of my primal diet in the almost 2 yrs I've been primal....
    So if you've been primal for 2 years and haven't been eating fruit then maybe you should try eating a bit? Or if you have been eating a bit of fruit try eliminating it completely. See where it takes you.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Fruit is a healthy and fairly safe source of carbs. Just beware, if you're trying to keep it to LC primal, then you might want to restrict your friut to small, occasional amounts of berries. Fruit can get to be a little carb heavy and that's really the only concern.

If low-carb is not your goal as much as simply eating clean, then don't worry and eat lots of it!

Drumroll is online now Senior Member

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    I have a hard time believing Grok would pass up a banana, some blackberries or a kiwi given the opportunity. Just use it judiciously and you will be fine. Fruit is natures candy!
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I thought the reason to moderate fruit intake was to keep fructose under control.

Bananas are my starchy limit, and also the fruit I eat the mostest.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I am actually not sure why fruit gets such a bad rap. I mean, a half cup of blueberries has 9 g carbs. That's a lot of blueberries and hardly any carbs. My experience has been when I try to restrict fruit/carbs, then I end up with cuh-razy cravings and eat a lot. When I eat fruit, I feel more satisfied and can eat less. I am sure the fact that it's summer and fruit is in season has something to do with it as well. Add some fruit, and see what happens!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I thought the reason to moderate fruit intake was to keep fructose under control.

Bananas are my starchy limit, and also the fruit I eat the mostest.
    I think the Fructose thing has been over emphasized with the HFCS issue.
    If you have restricted intake of table sugar, honey, HFCS and other concentrated syrups, you would be hard pressed to overload liver with fructose from fruit, if you chew it and let your body do what it does.
    Juicing on the other hand is another story, once you do that then all fruit becomes high GI and both glucose & fructose load is amplified.
    A glass of orange juice requires about 3 average oranges, there is a big difference between drinking the glass of juice or eating three oranges.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 5'4, 33 year old woman. I started eating low-fat paleo to deal with a neurological issue. I ate a TON of fruit daily - my typical breakfast was a huge bowl of fruit, basically as much as I could eat in a sitting. I also ate a lot of lean protein, cooked with no oil. Over a few months, I went from 120lbs to 106lbs eating so much fruit (but no grains or starches).

As soon as I cut out the fruit. lowered protein, and upped my fat content, I started packing on fat. It didn't take long to get right back to where I'd started out, which on paper seems okay, but since I'm a pear-shape, my belly and thighs really didn't look good.

Now, I may be a freak of nature, but I've never been able to lose more than a few pounds (likely water weight) using low carb. Low fat, for me, is the only thing that works.

So personally, I'd say add some fruit, and lower the fat a bit to compensate and see what happens. If what you're currently doing isn't working anymore, you've got nothing to lose by changing things up a bit - you can always go back if you want.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Do you want to enjoy fruit? Are you like "damn a banana would be good"? Or are you "geez, maybe I should eat fruit, but I don't feel like it.". If you want to eat fruit, eat it. If not don't. Fruit, either way, seems to make no difference for me.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast