Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page 9

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    got a mug of fall fresh apple cider here
    Nice. I was drinking some homemade apple moonshine last weekend. Freaking awesome
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is great, only reason its vilified is because of carb and fructose phobes.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    As someone mentioned above fruit isn't what it used to be... most of it is genetically modified, although a lot of our food is.
    The bold part is important, none of our foods are the same as 500 years ago, let alone 20,000. What is this implication that fruit was better in the past? Its more or less the same, and unless the U.S. is a special case, GM crops are marked/illegal. If you don't want GM fruits, don't buy them! Or buy organic.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 11-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Unsure about whether I should be including fruit

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    The bold part is important, none of our foods are the same as 500 years ago, let alone 20,000. What is this implication that fruit was better in the past? Its more or less the same, and unless the U.S. is a special case, GM crops are marked/illegal. If you don't want GM fruits, don't buy them! Or buy organic.
    GMO/non-gmo (genetically modified or not) and non-organic/organic (pesticides used are not natural vs pesticides used are "natural") aren't the same thing lol! This is why there is still a big fight to push a GMO labeling bill through congress. Also... GM crops are totally NOT illegal. XD I am assuming you are from the EU? We don't have such stringent protection here.

"None of our foods are the same from..." : Genetically modification vs selective breeding are both changing the population's gene pool but they aren't the same thing. GM foods could be introducing a whole new gene to the plant species to confer a new characteristic upon it. The GM-phobes are worried about the unknown consequences of Introducing a new gene.

At first I thought the GM-phobes were just being big whiners as I made GMO's myself before in the lab and it's not that bad. Then I read an article about how knocking out one gene creates a selection pressure for several other genes to be altered as well. This means adding a gene might or might not have the same effect. If the people in the lab cannot control the interdependent genes from being altered... Well maybe I am a bit scared of GM crops. Are GMO's good or bad as a whole for society? I have no clue as there are so many factors to consider. Are GMO's good for me?... Uh I don't want to find out if they aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-11-2013 at 05:00 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    At first I thought the GM-phobes were just being big whiners as I made GMO's myself before in the lab and it's not that bad. Then I read an article about how knocking out one gene creates a selection pressure for several other genes to be altered as well. This means adding a gene might or might not have the same effect. If the people in the lab cannot control the interdependent genes from being altered... Well maybe I am a bit scared of GM crops. Are GMO's good or bad as a whole for society? I have no clue as there are so many factors to consider. Are GMO's good for me?... Uh I don't want to find out if they aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally, I think that GM crops could be highly beneficial. I mean, right now we have wheat that was hybridized with brute force methods that don't actually qualify as GM, so even if labeling comes out it won't be labeled. Actual GM almost seems like an improvement. :P But also I think that GM could be great IF we actually start testing things properly on animals, rather than using humans as the test subjects. And avoid GM changes that will spread into the environment easy, like roundup ready genes. Golden rice is a prime example of something I like... it just fixes more vitamins in it than regular rice. Other plants won't pick up that gene, it confers no survival advantage. It just makes the plant better for us.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I just eat fruit seasonally. In summer, I will have berries and cherries a few times when they're plentiful and cheap (and local!) That's when I crave them anyway. In fall, a few apples. That sort of thing. I would say fruit is less than 1% of my diet. There are 5-6 months of the year where I eat no fruit at all, and then when I am eating fruit, maybe 1-2 times a week for a few weeks... If that. It doesn't have to be a black and white issue.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I've been eating 2 entire watermelons a week for the past 2 months. If you're skipping out on fruit, I feel sorry for you.

Fruit > oil.

Fruit is a real, whole food. Oil is a man-made, processed food with ever-varying degrees of refinement and quality, and often from a questionable source (see: black market olive oil, varying quality of butter and environmental impacts of coconut and palm oil).

I'm guessing few people have qualms using oil for cooking or salads. Fruit is superior to oil in pretty much every way, shape and form, yet it gets a bad rap. I'll never understand it. A much smarter way to judge your food is to compare nutrition-per-calorie, not carbohydrate content. I challenge you to compare the least nutritious fruits to the most nutritious oils on a calorie-per-calorie basis.
    No offense, but a year or so ago Choco, thought you were a moron who didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Since then, I agree with you more. Still don't eat as many carbs as you do, just not for me, but I don't fear it. Few sweat potatoes a weak. Fruit when available. Etc. weight is still coming off easily and steadily.

Meats and sea food still make up the bulk of my diet, but that's just preference and what works for me (currently).

Also agree with you on oils. I buy the highest quality I can and I do still use them, but sparingly. Rely more on high quality butter or cooking methods that don't require added fats...along with fattier cuts. But, still, shrimps fried in high-quality coconut oil?? Droooooool

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Just an observation -- there are a hella lot of "I wanna eat a ton of fruit" threads on this forum recently.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Fruit is great, only reason its vilified is because of carb and fructose phobes.

Oh yes..... we are that very special case by the way . No labeling laws here. Its like the wild west!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-14-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Milicoqui is offline Member
    Contemplating doing this! Occasional berry but mostly green and meats! RAWR!

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    Few sweat potatoes a weak.
    Those are my favorite types of potatoes.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast