Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page 6

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Ketosis is not the magic solution for everyone. I've been much more successful with moderate carbs and a bit less fat (not low fat, but not adding extra either). I feel happier and more satisfied with fruit and potatoes in my diet, and my mental and physical performance is better. Ketosis is great for some, but long-term ketosis isn't the ideal for everyone.
    I have had a similar experience as you, Owly. VLC/ketosis, worked well for me for almost two years, and then BAM! Things changed drastically. I am now kicking myself for waiting for so long to slowly INcrease the carbs (and play around with the overall ratios) instead of driving them down further. What I hadn't been considering was that it had worked for me while my body was in a certain specific state, but that state has apparently changed - quite possibly as a result of some healing, thanks to the ketosis itself.

I feel like a new person now after I finally gave the carb reintroduction enough time to make a difference - I forced myself to ride out the initial water retention (which left quickly) and the panic that had ensued during a previous attempt from thinking that it must be a bad sign and that my body wasn't tolerating the increase.

I won't make the mistake of banking on the fact that this will be what works for me forever, though - lesson learned in that regard. If things should change and I'm no longer feeling as great as I do now, I'll start to play again with the variables and tweak things until I get it right....then repeat if and when necessary in the future.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Yet another thread where people neglect to consider that everyone is different. How is this so hard to grasp, and when is this going to stop?

To anyone wondering if fruit will hinder or aid your progress, the only way to find out is to try new things. Try different amounts for good lengths of time and pay attention to how you feel and look. If you're making progress, stick to it until it no longer works. If you stall or start going backwards, CHANGE IT. Simple.
    Last edited by tarek; 08-31-2012 at 05:27 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    We just like to offer our n=1's to demonstrate that point. Is that so hard to accept?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Some of us actually were pretty clear on the "different things for different people" bit. Did you read the thread? I recall saying things like "ketosis is great for some, but long-term ketosis isn't the ideal for everyone."

I saw one person on the thread arguing that fruit is always bad, and a whole lot of other people saying that it can be good depending on your circumstances.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't referring to anyone posting their own personal stories about fruit -- that's what this thread should be about. Instead, there are a bunch of blanket statements about metabolism and a few people trying to crush others who think differently. That's not going to help the OP.
    Last edited by tarek; 08-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    So if you've been primal for 2 years and haven't been eating fruit then maybe you should try eating a bit? Or if you have been eating a bit of fruit try eliminating it completely. See where it takes you.
    I agree with Noctiluca. I say hit the fruit while it's in season! I'm loving both fruit AND starches and I'm hoping they'll continue to work this well for me for a long time.

Let us know what you try and how it works for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 09-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I continue to successfully and comfortably lose on about 100-150g daily, sometimes more, with no limitations on fruit or starchy vegetables, even white rice here and there. I can still fast as needed, and I don't need to eat 3 pounds of meat to feel satiated.
    well if your eating rice then you certainly aren't paleo

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Is this a joke? Human beings have been eating fruit a lot longer than ruminant meat, and oils are a fairly recent man-made creation. It's a foodlike product, not a whole food. Fruit is actual real food. But actually forming an argument would take effort, so I can understand why you chose not to.

Gotta love the extremists.
    everyone watch out for what this guys say. hes possibly the most idiotic and uninformed person ive seen on this forum

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I've decided not to add fruit at this point. When I first started eating this way I did high fat, low carb and lost 20 lbs. Then I increased my carbs and got a little bit less strict and stalled for a year. After reading Paleobird's forum about ketosis and eating moar fat I have gotten back to the basics ...how I started this program and am feeling great. I feel this is what works best for me. I never missed the fruit and can get the nutrients elsewhere. As someone mentioned above fruit isn't what it used to be... most of it is genetically modified, although a lot of our food is. Anyways, no need to be so harsh and defensive. Everyone has their own path. Choco's path is following Ray Peat/Danny Roddy. Mine is following Mark Sisson. No one was even talking about oil or meat - we were discussing fruit. Too much fruit or even any at all can spike blood sugar in those that have an issue with it. Obviously Choco does not and that's great. Some of us do and some of us don't.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    well if your eating rice then you certainly aren't paleo
    Really, because even Mark has stated that white rice appears to be a fairly safe choice for athletic people. As a 20% item for someone who's healthy and active, it's a damn sight better than drinking beer, eating pizza, or a lot of other things people eat as treats. Even Robb Wolf has said that he'll eat it as a treat.

But I'm glad to see I don't meet your paleo purity test. I'll go say 20 Hail Mitochondrial Eves and 5 Our Grokfathers as soon as I log off. Fortunately, the paleo gods have forgiven my fruit and rice eating ways and have seen fit to allow me to be down another pound as of this morning.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast