Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page 5

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Wow I really can't even begin to address this dumb and ignorant post. I will say that I stick to saturated animal fat. The only vegetable oil I use is coconut and sunflower on my skin. Yet again we have been consuming saturated animal fat for over 2 million years now. It is arguably more natural than the high sugar, genetically modified, "whole fruit" you are praising. I'll tell you like the rest of em, enjoy your glycated proteins.
    Is this a joke? Human beings have been eating fruit a lot longer than ruminant meat, and oils are a fairly recent man-made creation. It's a foodlike product, not a whole food. Fruit is actual real food. But actually forming an argument would take effort, so I can understand why you chose not to.

Gotta love the extremists.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'm a 5'4, 33 year old woman. I started eating low-fat paleo to deal with a neurological issue. I ate a TON of fruit daily - my typical breakfast was a huge bowl of fruit, basically as much as I could eat in a sitting. I also ate a lot of lean protein, cooked with no oil. Over a few months, I went from 120lbs to 106lbs eating so much fruit (but no grains or starches).

As soon as I cut out the fruit. lowered protein, and upped my fat content, I started packing on fat. It didn't take long to get right back to where I'd started out, which on paper seems okay, but since I'm a pear-shape, my belly and thighs really didn't look good.

Now, I may be a freak of nature, but I've never been able to lose more than a few pounds (likely water weight) using low carb. Low fat, for me, is the only thing that works.

So personally, I'd say add some fruit, and lower the fat a bit to compensate and see what happens. If what you're currently doing isn't working anymore, you've got nothing to lose by changing things up a bit - you can always go back if you want.

This is exactly what is happening to me. Why does this happen??? They say hit ketosis and the weight melts off!!! Not for me!!!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    This is exactly what is happening to me. Why does this happen??? They say hit ketosis and the weight melts off!!! Not for me!!!
    calories control everything. fat is much more calorie dense

counterpuncher is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Some of us can quite comfortably lose fat and eat fruit. It's not an either/or proposition for everyone.
    Agreed.
    I eat a lot of fruit also, and have been able to lose weight pretty easily.
    But my activity level is quite high, and I don't know if I would be able to lose weight while eating fruit if I were sedentary.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Agreed.
    I eat a lot of fruit also, and have been able to lose weight pretty easily.
    But my activity level is quite high, and I don't know if I would be able to lose weight while eating fruit if I were sedentary.
    Sure you would if your calorie intake decreases in kind with your activity level. You can only lose weight if you take in less energy than you expend - you need a calorie deficit. Generally, exercise makes you hungrier and you eat more. If your hunger mechanism is reliable and you eat with your stomach and not your eyes, your food intake should decrease. The problem is people get used to making a certain quantity of food for themselves, then something happens and we become less active but we still serve ourselves the same portion because we're just used to doing it. We eat with our eyes - you probably bring a container of food to work every day for lunch. If your activity level drops, will you decrease the container size? Most won't out of habit. When I take time off from the gym I have to make a conscious effort to put less food into my stomach. I'm so used to eating the same things over and over again it takes real effort to break the habit of scooping the same portions on my plate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post

Ketosis is not the magic solution for everyone. I've been much more successful with moderate carbs and a bit less fat (not low fat, but not adding extra either). I feel happier and more satisfied with fruit and potatoes in my diet, and my mental and physical performance is better. Ketosis is great for some, but long-term ketosis isn't the ideal for everyone.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The human body is very versatile and we could live off a number of different things. The point is the majority of the diet was meat, when they had meat they didn't even bother eat fruits and tuber, ect.
    Why is it ALWAYS and either/or, black and white situation? Who is to say that the women didn't find a bunch of fruit and tubers, which were regularly eaten WITH or WITHOUT meat, depending on how the hunt went?

The fact is, you don't know what humans all over the globe did thousands of years ago.I don't either, and ultimately who cares what they did - isn't eating real food that was grown, picked or hunted in a sustainable, quality way really the point?

And to get back on the original subject, fruit absolutely slows weight loss if it isn't restricted.
    Not for me.

Or for me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Ketosis is not the magic solution for everyone. I've been much more successful with moderate carbs and a bit less fat (not low fat, but not adding extra either). I feel happier and more satisfied with fruit and potatoes in my diet, and my mental and physical performance is better. Ketosis is great for some, but long-term ketosis isn't the ideal for everyone.
    I agree but emphasis on moderate. No more than 100 grams and less is better. When I went zero carb I could honestly eat a whole 3 pound chuck roast in one sitting lol

PrimalCon New York
    I agree but emphasis on moderate. No more than 100 grams and less is better. When I went zero carb I could honestly eat a whole 3 pound chuck roast in one sitting lol
    I continue to successfully and comfortably lose on about 100-150g daily, sometimes more, with no limitations on fruit or starchy vegetables, even white rice here and there. I can still fast as needed, and I don't need to eat 3 pounds of meat to feel satiated.

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast