Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 88

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page 4

  1. #31
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,536
    Shop Now
    I've been eating 2 entire watermelons a week for the past 2 months. If you're skipping out on fruit, I feel sorry for you.

    Fruit > oil.

    Fruit is a real, whole food. Oil is a man-made, processed food with ever-varying degrees of refinement and quality, and often from a questionable source (see: black market olive oil, varying quality of butter and environmental impacts of coconut and palm oil).

    I'm guessing few people have qualms using oil for cooking or salads. Fruit is superior to oil in pretty much every way, shape and form, yet it gets a bad rap. I'll never understand it. A much smarter way to judge your food is to compare nutrition-per-calorie, not carbohydrate content. I challenge you to compare the least nutritious fruits to the most nutritious oils on a calorie-per-calorie basis.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  2. #32
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I am a fat burner, not sugar. And the butter wont be stored as body fat as long as it isn't in the prescience of carbohydrate where as the watermelon is very readily stored as body fat. Very little of the watermelon would be used as fuel, where as 200 calories of butter can all be used as fuel.
    Wtf. If you have a healthy metabolism, a person being either a fat-burner and sugar-burner are moot points. Your body will burn the fat from your body after the fructose or the butter converts to body fat, so what's the big deal?

  3. #33
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Gotta love the Taubesians.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  4. #34
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    The way I look at it, we likely evolved in equatorial Africa which was tropical more often than not, yes when we got meat, we gorged, but there were plenty of times we didn't bother to hunt because it was easier to pick the in season fruit or dig a good stash of tubers.
    Everyone seems to get this idea "why would I hunt a bag of berries when I can hunt a steak at the supermarket, they both cost about the same and come in the same size package."
    Ever tried picking up a stick and chasing a wild goat down to exhaustion and then killing an animal that doesn't want to be killed, it aint all that easy, just because you choose to hunt doesnt mean it's always successful.
    There is too much emphasis on meat, it was important, but it wasn't everything, the reason our bodies are so well adapted to managing glucose is because at certain times of the year it was a significant part of our energy intake other times it would have been meat, fat, organs, bones etc., so it's about "metabolic flexability" as someone wrote elswhere.
    I agree that if we only ate meat we wouldn't be here today. The human body is very versatile and we could live off a number of different things. The point is the majority of the diet was meat, when they had meat they didn't even bother eat fruits and tuber, ect. You have obviously never gone into the wild and tried to source roots and berries, This takes a tremendous amount of time and energy and these things arn't just in season and available ALL THE TIME. Sure you can go into store and buy watermelon year round now, but it doesn't work like that in the wild. It was a rare find. I myself was in the woods yesterday, there was a stream full of trout and I walked right up on a deer. I also noticed some wild muscadines. I found one single muscadine, two more i saw had already been eaten by something else. Hopefully you start to get the picture. Maybe if you actually looked at some of the diet compositions of these people(native american,eskimo, inuit, ect), you would understand that majority of the diet was meat and in some cases exclusively meat. When reading the book "The Fat of the Land", discovered the eskimo diet was in fact exclusively meat. Eskimo actually means eater of raw meat. Berries were available a few weeks during summer, interesting enough they weren't even eating berries untill the white men arrived. We've been eating meat for over 2 million years, we evolved on meat and fat, and it was the preferred food. In the book, Steffanson recalls vegetable matter eaten twice in his 10 year exploration of the Artic. Once in the form of tea leaves, and once in the form of moss. Both times the vegetation was soaked in whale oil. He also noted that one man refused the vegetable and drank his whale oil in a cup. This is a very eye opening book and I would recommend it to everyone. It shows through the medical supervision of a one year examination of Stefanson and his colleague Anderson on an exclusive meat diet, they were in very good health and their health actually improved during the year. Studies of the bone structures of the eskimos also show these people to be free of heart disease and other modern disease we get now for that matter. They had extremely healthy bones even though there was a lack of calcium.

    Sure you can run your body off any kind of junk you put in it, just take a look around you. I personally have two vegetarian roomates who eat loads of grains, fruits, vegetation, nuts, ect. and their health suffers obviously. If your eating 300 grams of carbohydrate a day and you feel it is the optimal the to run your body is on a plant based raw diet, perhaps you should leave the primal movement and join the raw foodist movement. They will welcome you with open arms. All these people want to talk about is living on a plant based diet, they don't want to hear about all of the dangers of glucose. And to get back on the original subject, fruit absolutely slows weight loss if it isn't restricted. I'm not saying it inhibits it, it drastically slows it and you would be better off avoiding it and most other carbohydrates for that matter. Why would I even want to eat something with fiber in it if my body can't even digest it? We don't have the enzymes to break down plant cellulose. We just don't have it, period. These are not personal opinons, these are scientific facts.

    I am talking about the optimal way to run the body, and its by avoiding glucose and glycation through the low carbohydrate diet. This is one of the basics of the primal blueprint, to eat a carbohydrate restricted diet. Mark certainly does not advocate eating 300 grams of carb a day, or 200, or 150 for that matter.


    "The Fat of the land" free ebook
    http://highsteaks.com/the-fat-of-the...stefansson.pdf

    Clinical study of Steffanson and Anderson
    Two Brave Men Who Ate Nothing But Meat for an Entire Year

    Great video on the imprtance of dietart fiber
    Dietary Fiber covered by Dr. Greg Ellis - YouTube

    Video on the dangers of glucose
    Glucose Binds to Your Body Proteins Forming Glycated Proteins - YouTube
    Glycation Causes Most Diseases by Dr. Greg Ellis - YouTube

    Much more information are available through Dr. Ellis's videos, blog, and books. And you'll see as Ellis explains, you may not be have too many problems now but as you age, you will age rapidly with disease. Hope this information helps you guys, I know this was absolutely life changing information for me. I was personally an obese child. Scaled in at 216 pounds at the ripe old age of 15. I now look better, feel better, and am now 18 years old at a healthy health of 165 pounds. I also have gained a fairly significant amount of muscle mass for the amount of time I have been training and eating a carbohydrate restricted diet. I should also note that my first experiment with the paleolithic diet was Loren Cordains extremely flawed version. I too ate around 300 grams of carbohydrate a day on this diet, mostly in the form of fruit and was absolutely terrified by fat. I still lost 20 pounds within 2 months, but then I hit the wall. I finished my weight loss with primal blueprint and Dr. Ellis's recommendations, I lost the weight more rapidly and gained muscle mass while doing it. None of which Loren Cordain could have helped me with because I wasn't told to restrict carbohydrates or calories for that matter. I personally consume about 60- 80 grams of carbohydrate a day in the form of raw milk. The rest of my caloric intake is filled by eggs from my local farmer and plenty of meat and fat!
    Last edited by BennettC; 08-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.

  5. #35
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I've been eating 2 entire watermelons a week for the past 2 months. If you're skipping out on fruit, I feel sorry for you.

    Fruit > oil.

    Fruit is a real, whole food. Oil is a man-made, processed food with ever-varying degrees of refinement and quality, and often from a questionable source (see: black market olive oil, varying quality of butter and environmental impacts of coconut and palm oil).

    I'm guessing few people have qualms using oil for cooking or salads. Fruit is superior to oil in pretty much every way, shape and form, yet it gets a bad rap. I'll never understand it. A much smarter way to judge your food is to compare nutrition-per-calorie, not carbohydrate content. I challenge you to compare the least nutritious fruits to the most nutritious oils on a calorie-per-calorie basis.
    Wow I really can't even begin to address this dumb and ignorant post. I will say that I stick to saturated animal fat. The only vegetable oil I use is coconut and sunflower on my skin. Yet again we have been consuming saturated animal fat for over 2 million years now. It is arguably more natural than the high sugar, genetically modified, "whole fruit" you are praising. I'll tell you like the rest of em, enjoy your glycated proteins.

  6. #36
    Forgotmylastusername's Avatar
    Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    924
    Using Steffason and the inuit as reasoning that an all meat diet is optimal. Lol.

  7. #37
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Wow I really can't even begin to address this dumb and ignorant post. I will say that I stick to saturated animal fat. The only vegetable oil I use is coconut and sunflower on my skin. Yet again we have been consuming saturated animal fat for over 2 million years now. It is arguably more natural than the high sugar, genetically modified, "whole fruit" you are praising. I'll tell you like the rest of em, enjoy your glycated proteins.
    Easy there, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but there is a lot more to it.
    There are definately cultures who existed wholly on animal products for sustenance, but that doesnt mean it's what we actually evolved on, Australopithicas was 4 million years of our evolution and they were just little fella's and they were most likely gatherers and scavangers, one step away from chimps, the meat eating didn't really come seriously until we got to Homo Habilis, the tool maker, at about 2.4 mya, and then we progressed through stages to homosapiens. which is only the last 200,000 years and we oly left Africa somewhere between 100,000-70,000 ya.
    During most of this time our environment was mostly semi tropical, so it is likely that plant foods would have formed a significant part of our diet.
    The other factor you need to consider is we are genetically lazy, to conserve energy for when it is really required, so if fruits were available, then picking fruit was easier than chasing an antelope.
    Human gut flora is capable of digesting 98% of solouble fibre and up to 50% of insolouble fibre and contrary to what Dr Ellis says, they do not just form gas & toxic byproducts, they actually release Short Chain fatty acids which are absorbed by our intestine and provide a valuable contribution to our energy needs. There is an entire spectrum of diet choices, Vegan & Carnivore are the two extremes of human diet, but the healthiest position is likely somewhere in the middle.
    You have obviously come a long way in your process and found a good place for yourself, but don't fall into the trap of knowing everything, there will always be more to learn.

  8. #38
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Explain what is so funny about this? what information or studies to you have to offer?

  9. #39
    BennettC's Avatar
    BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beaufot, SC
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Easy there, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but there is a lot more to it.
    There are definately cultures who existed wholly on animal products for sustenance, but that doesnt mean it's what we actually evolved on, Australopithicas was 4 million years of our evolution and they were just little fella's and they were most likely gatherers and scavangers, one step away from chimps, the meat eating didn't really come seriously until we got to Homo Habilis, the tool maker, at about 2.4 mya, and then we progressed through stages to homosapiens. which is only the last 200,000 years and we oly left Africa somewhere between 100,000-70,000 ya.
    During most of this time our environment was mostly semi tropical, so it is likely that plant foods would have formed a significant part of our diet.
    The other factor you need to consider is we are genetically lazy, to conserve energy for when it is really required, so if fruits were available, then picking fruit was easier than chasing an antelope.
    Human gut flora is capable of digesting 98% of solouble fibre and up to 50% of insolouble fibre and contrary to what Dr Ellis says, they do not just form gas & toxic byproducts, they actually release Short Chain fatty acids which are absorbed by our intestine and provide a valuable contribution to our energy needs. There is an entire spectrum of diet choices, Vegan & Carnivore are the two extremes of human diet, but the healthiest position is likely somewhere in the middle.
    You have obviously come a long way in your process and found a good place for yourself, but don't fall into the trap of knowing everything, there will always be more to learn.
    Thanks, I have thoroughly enjoy the educated debate. I myself am not a full out carnivore like say Charles Washington and his followers over at zero carb. I tried that diet and it simply just didnt work for me, not to mention it is much more expensive. I find I just do really well on dairy, and yes I had been off of it for a 3 month period and went back on with absolutely no problems. I also enjoy things that are available right now such as the muscadines and local tomatoes. These things are comfort foods that remind me of my childhood. My mimi had me eating tomatoes at a very early age lol. I eat these things only when they are in season and strive to base my diet around meat and fat. I also was very interested in improving my exercise performance this way and have had great results. I also would like to apologize if I came off as a know it all. I feel extremely passionate about this information and am trying to make sure other people hear these things. I also agree that in the early stages our diet including a higher percentage of vegetation and the adaption to eating a meat based diet had to have been very rough on our ancestors. As climates got colder and less vegetation was available they had no choice but to adapt.

  10. #40
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    Thanks, I have thoroughly enjoy the educated debate. I myself am not a full out carnivore like say Charles Washington and his followers over at zero carb. I tried that diet and it simply just didnt work for me, not to mention it is much more expensive. I find I just do really well on dairy, and yes I had been off of it for a 3 month period and went back on with absolutely no problems. I also enjoy things that are available right now such as the muscadines and local tomatoes. These things are comfort foods that remind me of my childhood. My mimi had me eating tomatoes at a very early age lol. I eat these things only when they are in season and strive to base my diet around meat and fat. I also was very interested in improving my exercise performance this way and have had great results. I also would like to apologize if I came off as a know it all. I feel extremely passionate about this information and am trying to make sure other people hear these things. I also agree that in the early stages our diet including a higher percentage of vegetation and the adaption to eating a meat based diet had to have been very rough on our ancestors. As climates got colder and less vegetation was available they had no choice but to adapt.
    I've been digging at this topic for quite a while and the deeper I go the more questions I unearth, it's all good fun.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •