Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsure about whether I should be including fruit page 2

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fruits and LC are not mutually exclusive. I eat about half cup of raspberries 3-6g net carbs with some raw coconut every night and still manage to remain in ketosis. You obviously want to go for berries as opposed to bananas and mangoes etc, but even if you were craving bananas or higher glycemic fruit, HAVE IT! As long as you are not guzzling 3-5 of the whole fruit in a sitting in addition to a higher fat diet, you should be fine. Srsly

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As a sugar addict, my response is: If you are not eating it, don't start. Nothing in fruit that veggies can't provide, and sweet flavors have the same effect on me as a whiff of vodka to an alcoholic.

BUT! I am a sugar addict that is border-line pre-diabetic. If I could have one wish granted by some fairy it is to lose my fruit cravings.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I don't crave fruit, but once I eat it, I eat a LOT at the same time. And I'm not just talking like 3 apples in one sitting; I'm talking like 4lbs of fruit in several hours...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I eat sometimes 4-5 servings of fruit a day and continue to lose fat. Today so far I've eaten a banana and a larger orange, and I have about a 2-cup container of cherries on my desk for later. No binge issues, no weight gain. Every person will respond differently, so you might try including some fruit and see how it goes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    I am a 5'6" female and I eat about a pound of berries every night with dinner, post workout. However, I spend almost 2 hours walking/running/lifting at the gym each night and CRAVE fruit and carbs when I finish. I don't worry about the fruit unless my macro breakdown goes too far off
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Its my understanding that fructose is DEADLY! I try to steer clear of fruit since reading how fast fructose converts to body fat. Although down south when walking through the woods I come across the occasional wild muscadine. These suckers are soo sweet and remind me of my childhood so I indulge then since nature gave it to me. Note that these are rare, found in small number and I put in the effort to get it. I think people run into problems by making fruit part of their daily diet, nature only gives you these things ever so often. For instance my brother eats different fruit everyday and at every meal. This is extremely unhealthy!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Who cares if it converts to fat if it'll just get reused after the energy your other food just provided runs out?

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Who cares if it converts to fat if it'll just get reused after the energy your other food just provided runs out?
    Because for most modern, western humans, running out of energy from other foods is never likely to happen. And try teaching folks not interested in the primal lifestyle about fasting.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I think the Fructose thing has been over emphasized with the HFCS issue.
    If you have restricted intake of table sugar, honey, HFCS and other concentrated syrups, you would be hard pressed to overload liver with fructose from fruit, if you chew it and let your body do what it does.
    Juicing on the other hand is another story, once you do that then all fruit becomes high GI and both glucose & fructose load is amplified.
    A glass of orange juice requires about 3 average oranges, there is a big difference between drinking the glass of juice or eating three oranges.
    Good point. Our family had two oranges cut up into slices for 'pudding' last night. Half a glass of orange juice wouldn't have divided into five people nearly so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Because for most modern, western humans, running out of energy from other foods is never likely to happen. And try teaching folks not interested in the primal lifestyle about fasting.
    But is this thread about advice for primal eaters, or about what 'everyone' should do?

I think you are off topic to the OP.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    But is this thread about advice for primal eaters, or about what 'everyone' should do?

I think you are off topic to the OP.
    The OP never said (and it sure sounds like she isn't) fasting at all. So it's unlikely she'll be dipping into stored fat on a regular basis. Oh sure, if she eats a high-fat diet, she'll be burning the dietary fats. Not a problem there. Also if she can get into ketosis on occasion then that could be helpful. But fruit can complicate the ketosis picture for some people. Not everyone of course, but certainly some people find that fruit effects their results.

Again, it's all about each person's goals. She has to decide how "primal" she wants to be, and what her weightloss (or gaining or maintenance) goals are. Fruit can fit perfectly well in the primal lifestyle, but some people struggle with over-consumption and weight gain from the fact that fructose usually stores right to fat.

As I said in my first post... Fruit is primal, but you have to determine for yourself whether it fits whatever your nutritional and weight goals are. For some people, fruit is perfectly fine. Other people find they need to abstain from it. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves.

If low-carb is not necessarily her goal, then she can certainly eat up worry free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast