Page 99 of 532 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 99

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    All I did was heat some cream in a pot and cook till it got thicker, then add the cheese. It was simply amazing, it even had my dh asking for more broccoli, lol.
    i make cheese sauces like that too. the kids like it with asparagus. i also make blue cheese sauce in a similar way in the pan with steak. when the steak is cooked, shove it to the side of the pan or take it out to rest. then add in the blue cheese and cream or cultured cream and cook till you have a sauce. season etc. sometimes i make it with mushrooms so i will cook the mushrooms with the steak but leave them in when i make the sauce. i have done this with camembert instead of blue cheese with chicken. the possibilities are endless once you've got the basic method going.

gwamma, not gonna get married again any time soon. well not unless JJ is really hot lol i did get asked if i would marry again by a man the other day and it made me incredibly twitchy. it is not so much marriage, but joint property i need to avoid. never again!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i make cheese sauces like that too. the kids like it with asparagus. i also make blue cheese sauce in a similar way in the pan with steak. when the steak is cooked, shove it to the side of the pan or take it out to rest. then add in the blue cheese and cream or cultured cream and cook till you have a sauce. season etc. sometimes i make it with mushrooms so i will cook the mushrooms with the steak but leave them in when i make the sauce. i have done this with camembert instead of blue cheese with chicken. the possibilities are endless once you've got the basic method going.
    Oh yum seaweed, that sounds fabulous. I have only just stumbled onto this technique but I am starting to see more possibilities. Thanks heaps.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    That's what i've done for a long time because I haven't had flour int he house since 2001.

The reason for this is because I had flour, but got moths of some kind that spread through the whole house and lived mostly in the flour. Got rid of that, then it took a while to get rid of the moths entirely, and just never went back to using it. Since I didn't bake/etc, it was never necessary.

I also learned the reduction technique as a vegan, as well as using veg broth in sustitution for everything. Veg broth has a lot more flavor, imo, and so when we make our chicken stock here, I add all the veggie odds and ends to it. It's really quite tasty.

DH got into the habit, too, of putting a bit of curry paste (thai green curry with coconut oil rather than canola/etc) on the chicken while it roasts, which imparts a nice, subtle curry flavor to the meat (not too spicy for the kiddo), and then it's basically been cooked off by the time we boil the bones, and adding veggies and water. . . it imparts a really, really subtle depth of flavor there, too.

Which makes a great base for veggie soups (such as my favorite pumpkin and cavolo nero), as well as sauces (you only need a little bit, though, or it reduces down too spicy and salty).

Today is immigration paperwork day. woot! Should be done with the main form today, then medical later this week, then waiting on the FBI.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member

gwamma, not gonna get married again any time soon. well not unless JJ is really hot lol i did get asked if i would marry again by a man the other day and it made me incredibly twitchy. it is not so much marriage, but joint property i need to avoid. never again!
    He very well might be !!!!! but being hot is only one small part of it - as we all know !!!!! LOL
    you do your homework Seaweed, and then let us know the outcome. Jac and I are still happy to be your wingmen - as it were !!!!
    I was propositioned at this wedding. here am I flying around handing out drinks, and food, and checking toilets... and all the stuff that a host would do....and this big burly security guard guest sashays on over, and suggests that when I get fed up with mine....he would happily take me on board !!!! WTF ? It was very very funny at the time........and yes he was H-O-T

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful support over this wedding buisness. It has been so great being able to dump my shit here, whilst you all suffer....so thank you - hugs to everyone !!!!

thanx also for this latest sauce discussion. I am getting to the bored stage, so need to ramp up my food ingreds. I am also gonna start a whole 30 of exersize - so watch this space !!!! My Dad just won his age group in an ocean swim up north, and wants to do the Akaroa one in february....so stupid stupid me said - yea Dad I'll do it with you !!!!!!!
    You gotta wonder about me sometimes LOL
    so I have a 14 mtr pool..... to swim 1 km every morning would be 71 lengths.... I hope that I have got that right....so the Akaroa swim is 2 or 3 kms......... hmmmmmm I had best get training.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

the problem with training in a small anything is the boredom factor. i can walk for miles and miles, all day up and down hills, but if i had to walk on a treadmill, i would be done after an hour. even with my mp3 player as i have better things to do. are there any lakes or rivers near you that you could swim in? any harbours? way to go with the hot security guard. being hot is only one small part what i really mean when i say that is i have to find them hot and i do have very eclectic tastes in men.

just been for a long walk with the dog in the wind and the rain. winter again. and now. lol. i am sitting at home with my cup of green tea. had a seriously stressful weekend so i am avoiding too much coffee. on the sauce front. gravy is good with things too. you just put stock and some wine in the pan once the meat is cooked and reduce. you dont really need the wine either. you can throw herbs in too. i do have to keep my food simple as the kids wont eat too much herby or spicy food. i dont need to get stuck having to eat it so we tend to stick more with meat and veges. since the pork backstraps were so much like free range pork, i am gonna roast one of the legs tomorrow. i do apple sauce with it and that is just apples cooked in butter and honey with some cinnamon and lemon. grate the lemon rind in and squeeze the juice and cover the apples while they are cooking. you get sorta caramelised apples at the end which go very well with roast pork.

Seaweed you don't have to explain !!!! I am playing with ya....we all have our own idea of HOT !!!! LOL Why don't we just get him to fly on over, and then you can decide !!!! sorted !!!! LOL

Thanx for the advice on sauces etc.... I really have to ramp it up and get with the programme, and I will !

No lakes or harbours near me, so I will have to do the boring thing, however DD number 3 left a great big getto blaster thingy when she went to the States.....so she won't even know if I crank that up poolside !!!!
    Togs, now thats another story.....don't look good in togs, althou I would possibly have to wear a wetsuit ? in the harbour ???

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    ah yes the exercise boredom factor - this is something I suffer from! One of the reasons I gave up running was that it was so dull, pound pound pound.......on and on and on, even with my I-pod I nearly died of boredom.

When I was a student we used to make a cheese sauce out of those nasty processed cheese slices and milk, heated in the microwave. It was actually really yummy and very smooth and creamy.

I think I've come down with another cold overnight! I was planning on coming on here this morning to gloat about how quickly I recovered from my last cold, I felt absolutely fine last night before bed. Then bam....I wake up at 1am with a totally blocked nose that required me to take decongestants before I respiratory arrested and this morning I woke up with a sore head, no voice and green boogers (as the kids call them). Stink! And I really needed to come to work this morning too, think I'll call it quits at lunchtime though.

Little miss seems to be OK today thankfully, so I've sent her off to daycare. No idea what the weekends fevers were all about, she definately didn't have a bunged up nose or anything.

oh LL I really feel for you. Drink lots and lots of water....and flush that little buggar out of your system...... I hope that you have a restful afternoon at home !

...small steps....

i almost always wear a wet suit when i swim in the sea in the winter. i do have some serious reservations about swimming around in a known shark infested area dressed up like a seal tho lol and i hate hate hate having to shimmy out of the wetsuit when i get out of the water as it is so cold i can usually hardly move my hands to undo the zips. you can swim naked if it is your own pool. i sure would as i dont like wet fabric at all against my skin. my nasty cold which only was ever an incredibly unpleasant sore throat seems to have finally gone which i am very pleased about.

i need rescuing from the current man so you get JJ over to stay at your place and check him out lol if you approve i will come up and see what i think!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    i do apple sauce with it and that is just apples cooked in butter and honey with some cinnamon and lemon. grate the lemon rind in and squeeze the juice and cover the apples while they are cooking. you get sorta caramelised apples at the end which go very well with roast pork.
    Fancy! My apple sauce tends to be...wait for it...apples. lol. I just stew them down and blend them if necessary. But I think I will try your way next time, sounds delish!