Page 76 of 532 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 76

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Where is Seaweed when you need her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    on my way up a certain famous hill with a monument on the top on the way to school camp lol first parent up by miles and i would have been the first person up but it wasnt good form to leave the kids behind when you are sposed to be looking after them. seriously tho. it was awesome fun. you almost had to climb on all fours in places but not quite. going back down was an exercise in balance. what i really noticed was how, if you have barefeet, different parts of your feet grip. so much better than normal shoes.

tikunga for harekeke is relatively simple as it is all common sense. AB - Gathering flax we were also taught to always do karakia before we weave but that is also obvious. it is simply a prayer or meditation to centre your intentions. we also were taught that way back, in the olden days you could put the harakeke back under the bush to rot but now, since alot of the ground dwelling birds have gone which used to clean up the insects, we would burn it to stop the spread of plant diseases by accident and then put the ash back in the harakeke. or we compost it away from the growing harakeke bushes and then put the rotted down compost back in the pa harakeke.

re: seafood chowder. you need broth of some kind. chicken or fish. there was an awesome recipe in a cook book i got out of the library which i never wrote down unfortunately. generally they have flour in so you will need to thicken it with something else like potatoes or i use tapioca. all it is is a roux. fry the butter with some veges ( onion, garlic, carrot, fennel etc. ) add some tapioca flour, throw in the stock. then the kai moana. cook it all. put in some cream and i have put grated cheese in too and some herbs. salt and pepper. just wing it as you go. there are stacks of recipes on line. some use more of a tomato sauce. eg fleurs one which is very nice too
    Fleur Sullivan try a few variations and see what you reckon.

butter fish curry using THE recipe works very well. you just need a firm fish like rig or monk fish which isnt going to fall to pieces and you can add shell fish too.

i love shellfish lol i can eat them raw. toroi for example. or just a pot of steamed cockles or mussels with some vinegar and i am happy.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Zoe, you don't know what you are missing- it is the best stuff !!!!!As a kid, when we were sailing round the Bay of Islands, we would sometimes dive for scallops, straight up, shelled, into the pan !!!! If we caught fish they were often marinated in onion, wine and lemon juice. Wow. mussels, oysters.......... I can feel a 30 day seafood fast coming on !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Thanx Seaweed, fantastic. I will try some recipes, and get creative with the flax too.
    Sounds like fun - walking up your mountain, and well done for letting the kids up first !!!! LOL. Sometimes I have to remember at 49 that I am not a kid anymore !!!!!!

okay off to find and try some chowder recipes !!

...small steps....

well done for letting the kids up first !!!! LOL. Sometimes I have to remember at 49 that I am not a kid anymore !!!!!!
    i dont feel any different than when i was a kid so i forget too. i am a bit smarter about injury prevention and i flounce the long blonde hair when i want to wimp out. i think too i enjoy doing the things i do way more now as i dont do stuff i dont enjoy. like road running. actual no, i did today. i took my 11 yr old to the pub for tea and we had half an hour spare so we ran to the jetty and back. she decided i couldnt catch her it's a floating wharf which are real cool to go stand on. kinda like being on a boat if you pretend.

gwamma if you are going to do some flax cards, look at the info on prepping the harakeke on the web site i linked to. if you boil it, it wont shrink which will make a much better end product. i can weave kete with green harakeke and not have gaps but it took me prob 3 years of solid practise and i would struggle i think with something like clothes for cards as you have nothing to tension it against. you need to boil it to dye it too. i use rit dyes that you can get in sewing shops. not sure if you can see this, but it is a kete i wove. i used to paua dive with it till it started to come loose at the top so i retired it and made another one.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...raranga045.jpg

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I've tried it all over the years. It's still terrible to me. LOL I just can't get a taste for it. Since moving here, I've tried it over and over. it's still yucky. I don't get it. LOL

do you go collect them yourself? kai moana needs to be fresh or you are comparing apples with oranges.

wow Seaweed - that is absolutely amazing. You are a very clever girl. I am very very envious !!! When we were in Fiji we watched some older tribeswoman weaving kete, and rugs. It was awesome to watch. I hope you are passing that skill onto your tamariki and mokopuna !

I also have blondish hair - but its out of a bottle !!!!!!! Not very good at flouncing ! LOL but I can still flick it back like we used to do in the 80s LOVL

...small steps....

I also have blondish hair - but its out of a bottle !!!!!!! Not very good at flouncing ! LOL but I can still flick it back like we used to do in the 80s LOVL
    i actually had auburn hair when i was born but it has sorta blonded out over the years in the sun and thru the bottle. i'm not a ginga and i have brown eyes so only 2 people have ever picked it in over 10 years. i did have to teach myself to flounce but in this life you have to use all the advantages you get!

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I have had fresh (plucked out) of the sea seafood, and it was still nasty. Honestly, I do not get the allure.

there is a harley t-shirt which i need to get. it says something like " for those who ride, no explanation is needed. for those who don't, no explanation is possible". you will be prising my kai moana out of my cold dead hands and since the fishing industry is a tad unsustainable in its practises, it is prob better we dont try to convert you too hard.