Page 73 of 525 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 73

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    here they are. they are not caveman yet, but I have some hessian, and am trying to make them a wee bit more caveman/woman
    not having much luck as yet. I can do the bone in her hair, and I can make a wee loin cloth for him, but its not coming together !!!

I tried to sell these wee cards on trademe, but no-one was interested, so I just use them myself....and thats ok

so any ideas would be brilliant ! (big smiles in anticipation of brilliant ideas coming my way soonest !!!!!)
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We outsource crafting here. Our friends are artists, and so many will do art with him. He also does it at school. At home, he mostly wants to run around and play blocks, so crafting isn't that popular for him. If that changes as he gets older, we'll figure it out.
    this is brilliant Zoebird. Great to be able to delegate LOL
    and your wee DS is still being very creative with all his blocks and run around play.

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    lol Gwamma, you are a scream. I would love to see you, I hope you have fun with the kids.
    Hi Annie, it was hillarious last night. I snuck up on them in the dark, put the torch under my chin and made all sorts of noises. The mother was more frightened than anyone !!!!!!I made them each a wee take home bag full of goodies but before that I gave them 3 unwrap the parcels. The first had 3 old coathangers, that I didn't want. You should have seen their faces drop. The next had three little jotter pads and pens, and then the last was three rolls of toilet paper. By that stage they knew that it was gonna be a naughty one. We had such a great laugh !!!!!
    Anyway they loved their little goodie bags, my dear friend enjoyed her wine, and they headed off into the black night at about 10.30pm !!!!
    so lots of fun. How is everything at yours ??

...small steps....

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Outsourcing is vital for minimalists.

I have several opportunities for DS: the community art space (about a 10 minute walk from the office), the artists who will do an hour with him once or twice a week, and school. They are all free, too, and supplies included, so it's easy on the wallet as well.

DH's "writing space" is the coffee shop between 9 am and 11 am 4x week. It's perfect for him -- quite, bright, lots of space, and he has his coffee too. He loves it. Rental: $2.40 per 2 hrs (cost of the coffee). Not too shabby.

I mostly practice yoga at the studio -- more space, no need to have equipment at home, etc. Parkour, swimming -- outdoors and away. Swing set, sand box, etc -- outside in the public spaces. We're even looking at seeing if we can start a community garden in our neighborhood, so then I'm not solely responsible for a garden that doesn't work. LOL And, the local community gardens mostly focus on seed sharing and saving, so it ends up low cost to growers like myself. It's mostly in the start-up labor.

Pretty much if I can out-source it to decrease costs in terms of buying materials, storing materials, etc -- I'm gonna.

well done you Zoebird... you sound very organised

If you are like me, and enjoy making your christmas gifts, I have a nice idea for anyone into cooking, especially younger/teenagers.
    I have made several cook books over the years, and they make a really nice personal heirloom type of gift. Anyway if anyone wants the lowdown, am happy to impart !!

...small steps....

That's cool.

We actually buy gifts because I'm not crafty nor do I have the time to make a lot of gifts for people. So, we buy things that are simple, local, hand made, etc. Best we can anyway.

We ask for no-gifts or specific gifts (ie, certain shoes/clothes as needed), and this year we're looking at iTunes cards so that we can move our DVD collection to download, and then let go of the DVDs that we have in the US. CDs will be released as well, and then. . . well, that's it really.

I am from a huge family, so every year the host draws names out of a hat, and you buy for one couple, on behalf of all the family. Everyone is meant to spend x $, so it works really well. I have been knitting queen sized blankets for each of my siblings over the years, so only 2 siblings to go, and Mum and Dad. I knit them on a huge circular needle, and then crochet around the edge. Once I have made them all a knitted blanket....not sure what I will make next ????????? (but have two more christmases up my sleeve LOL

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    hey gwamma. i reckon leopard spots on the cards. flintstone them. my youngest liked them. coming from a family with more issues than woman's day, i try to avoid xmas as much as possible. i havent even processed it might be happening yet so i will prob keep up the denial till maybe the second week in december. i have however been trying to organise a kennel for the hound to stay in if we go somewhere unhound friendly. it is a mighty hard mission when you have an unvaccinated dog so he may still have to come with us. on the subject of the dog, i had to drench him today. i got him some chewable tablets for large dogs. having fond memories of apple flavoured horse drench lol i was prepared. plan B was to put a liver thru the mincer with the pill crunched up to get him to eat it. plan C was well, some major devious stealth but he is such a blood hound if we got to plan C i could imagine giving up and seeing if the vet has injectable drench. Plan A worked without any drama at all. I nearly fell over. i gave him a few pieces of creamed coconut, gave him the chew, and then more creamed coconut and he ate it all. he didnt even do the huge sulk about 30 mins later that the horse does as she works out we drenched her. horses are so smart but she still hasnt sussed why we give her oats and molasses only every 3 months until it is too late.

I understand christmas denial. It's really how I feel about it. Being a person who doesn't care for objects in general, christmas is serious "overwhelm." I also don't have a lot of money, really (living in a cash-only way, no credit cards, etc), it's tough to go out and stay in budget all the time. Budget is small. Then people get cranky because our budget is small. But I'm not going into debt for christmas gifts so people won't be offended.

I'd rather go into debt to pay for immigration (stupid price hike!). Luckily, I don't have to do that either.

Still, it's a funny thing, christmas. My preference (and this is how DH and I play it with DS) is to go and have a lot of nice parties and fun times with friends -- sharing food and perhaps giving cards (home made). That's about the extent of it.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I love giving Christmas gifts to everyone in the family, it does add up even though I keep to a fairly low budget per gift. It's not the money that counts, some years when money has been tight our gifts have been extra economical. But I would feel sad only being allowed to give to one person.