Page 70 of 535 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 70

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow Zoebird, that is one decluttered house. We used to live 1.5 hours from Christchurch, so absolutely everything was bought in bulk. And I can-not for the life of me ditch this mindset. It is now a 50 min round trip to get into Christchurch, but thats still quite a way if you run out of meat, milk for DH, toilet paper etc....
    so i just cannot do it, but well done you. I am envious - to a point, and then when I run out of towels, or teatowels, or whatever, I know that I have another 20 in the draw to use LOL. We also have alot of dinner parties etc.... so I need plenty of plates etc... but i could cut down quite a bit - I am sure. You might need to come and oversee it for me Lol
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It's all really about what you do use. Thats' the real trick about minimalism.

Right now, I'm looking at replacement situations for clothes and shoes.

For shoes, I'm talking to Soul Shoes about making something to our specifications. Ideally, I would have a pair of hard-wearing ballet flats, a pair of shoes to hike in which would have a simple design (I'm looking at a pair of the mushrooms or the moccas), and then a pair of waterproof ankle boots (perhaps the desert boots? or maybe one they make for me). From the looks of the web site, it already appears that they have an ample toe box and the like for better foot health. The only issue, then, is whether or not they have a zero-drop sole (or can make one). It looks like they can make the various shapes that I like, just peering around the site, so I might be good-to-go.

For clothing, I'm having a much tougher time. I'd prefer everything to be local -- sourced and manufactured locally. Icebreaker looked like a great option, but I discovered they now manufacture in China, and I prefer not to use things manufactured in China (i didn't realize this until after I'd bought my Apple computers. Hard call!). So, I'm looking at going to blue canoe which manufactures in the US and utilizes organic bamboo and cotton in their clothing. When it's time to replace jeans, I'm going with Kuyuchi jeans.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading your thread for about a week now, and I'm just amazed at how grounded and upbeat you all are. I know this is a stupid question, but is it a cultural thing? Or has our darling Gwamma set the tone? Or?

Anyway, sorry to intrude, but you've given me some happy reading this last week.

Peace.

It's nice living in NZ. We pretty much live in paradise.

Seriously. DH was talking to his parents today and they are 10,000 stories of suffering.

Whereas, DH and I are like "really, nothing to complain about." Love work, love lifestyle, love the land, love our friends, etc. Great life up over here.

Moving to NZ was the best thing we ever did.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Joanie, hi...nah this old Gwamma is a gwumpy, gwowly, pain in the derierre !!!! The old Kiwi attitude does go a long way... and one really does have to enjoy life. I am actually finding that being able to 'dump' my stuff here is very therapeutic. sad for the fellow threaders, but great for me !!!!!!
    have just had the phone call from the neighbour. The kids have got halloween all wrong, but are coming down to scare me when it gets dark. Unbeknown to them I have donned the war paint, black lipstick, teased hair, put the witches outfit on, am gonna turn all the lights off and give them a wee fright outside in the dark
    Should be fun !!!! althou I would hate someone to do this to me !!!! LOL
    I wish I knew how to take a picture and post it on here. I look terrible !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Halloween in spring is weird.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Joanie, hi...nah this old Gwamma is a gwumpy, gwowly, pain in the derierre !!!! The old Kiwi attitude does go a long way... and one really does have to enjoy life. I am actually finding that being able to 'dump' my stuff here is very therapeutic. sad for the fellow threaders, but great for me !!!!!!
    have just had the phone call from the neighbour. The kids have got halloween all wrong, but are coming down to scare me when it gets dark. Unbeknown to them I have donned the war paint, black lipstick, teased hair, put the witches outfit on, am gonna turn all the lights off and give them a wee fright outside in the dark
    Should be fun !!!! althou I would hate someone to do this to me !!!! LOL
    I wish I knew how to take a picture and post it on here. I look terrible !!!!!!
    lol Gwamma, you are a scream. I would love to see you, I hope you have fun with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

It's nice living in NZ. We pretty much live in paradise.

Seriously.
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My capsule wardrobe is based on what works for me:

5 sets yoga pants/tanks;
    2 skirts;
    2 sweaters;
    4 t-shirts;
    4 dresses;
    2 jeans.

Undergarments:

1 silks;
    2 lingerie sets;
    3 socks

PJs:

Old yoga pants and old t-shirt plus fleece

outerwear:

Denim jacket
    fleece and vest
    winter coat
    4 pashmina scarves

Shoes:

One heels,
    2 vibrams,
    1 gum boots.

It's just great to let go and have so little. Honestly.
    So, just on the clothes for now, because the rest is a bit overwhelming (but very interesting, so thanks), with your say two skirts would that be one for winter and one for summer, one short/one long, one dressy/one casual or the same two all year forever, or two that will be replaced each season by a fresh two...

I guess I'm wondering how often you clothes shop, only as things need replacing? Three pairs of socks will wear out pretty fast, I imagine. Or do you shop when you would just like something new? then I expect something else would have to go.

A strategy I am trying to adopt is to let something go every time I bring something new into the house, it helps but additional decluttering is always needed as well.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only shop when I need to replace. I'm not interested in shopping, really, so this takes a load off on that end.

My first order of business in figuring out my wardrobe was determining how *I* live. What I wear isn't necessarily appropriate for everyone's lifestyle, nor is it necessarily someone else's fashion sense.

In an office setting, it would work for "business casual" -- particularly if you switched the vibrams for ballet flats or similar. But, if yuo had to be "business professional" -- then it would be too casual.

I have a general very basic, classic style. It looks more "european" than US, really, and it's definitely not NZ (which to me looks frumpy, btw). I don't knwo what it is about you kiwi women and you're weird drape-y, sack-shaped clothing.

I then just took that basic and made it work for my work. It's easy enough to have yoga clothes under a skirt/cardigan -- and it meets the basic brief of my style while also being functional for my work and. . . I don't have to take my clothes on and off all day long. I actually just leave the skirt on, because now so many yoga clothes come with the skirts sewn onto the pants! That's why I started wearing my dresses more often too -- I just don't take them off and teach anyway.

It suits.