Page 7 of 534 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 7

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have multiple food intolerances, including FODMAPs, so coconut can be a bit of a disaster for me. I'm also very dairy intolerant, and trying a ketosis experiment - that means increasing fats without increasing protein. I find the textures of oils quite challenging, so the coconut oil/chocolate bark is a useful tool but I don't love it.

It's all a bit of a balancing act at present, between gut health, IBS control and weight loss. It's only in the last month or so that I've had enough knowledge to even attempt deliberate weight loss. Much as I'd love to joyfully embrace eating real food, like so many on the boards have done, for me food is about avoiding pain and achieving health. That is actually very, very cool when it happens!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Sympathy to you, it must be incredibly trying, but you are persevering to find your answers. Absolutely pain relief and good health come ahead of weight loss. I hope you learn to enjoy the coconut oil better

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat coconut oil at all. I will have coconut and coconut milk/cream/water but not just coconut oil. I do use it for oil pulling, skin, hair, etc. But I hate to eat the stuff. DH bakes our "chips" with coconut oil, and that tastes ok to me, so I will eat that.

Also, when he was having digestive issues, he was using fermented coconut oil, so that might help with sensitivity to it. Fermentation generally helps.

Jac
    I love the smell of coconut oil, and eggs cooked in it are divine!

My intolerance is with the fodmap content of the actual coconut, and it's coconut cream/milk that's been a problem (although it's taken a ridiculous amount of time to actually accept that. I just kept trying to eat it! This last episode has finally sunk it into my skull . . .). Fermented anything is a problem for me - I've tried almost everything. I loved making and drinking kombucha, but that's out. So is sauerkraut. Even probiotics will trigger me after a couple of days. As Kurt Harris so helpfully points out - some of us are just 'metabolically deranged'. I have no idea whether I'll get more tolerant over time as I heal, but it's possible that I won't. I don't care in the end, just so long as I can stop the inflammation and feel good. I've had several times like that over the last year - last summer I felt amazing.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, you gotta do your thing.

NZBee is offline Junior Member
    hi everyone, just stumbled upon this thread, great to see so many kiwis here! I have been 99% primal for 3 weeks but mostly grain free for a month before that and gluten free for about 3 months. I have a 12yr old daughter that has been about 80% primal at home (away from home is a different story!) for the last 3 weeks also. The Mr on the other hand is not so keen on the changes, I found his hidden loaf of bread in the top of the pantry the other day haha. We're in auckland and I have no primal friends either so it would be awesome to have a primal network for NZ.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    NZbee, fantastic that you have found this thread. We have quite a gathering on MDA from NZ, so lots of support here.
    So we can be your new primal friends. Actually a few of you are from Auckland, so that is great.
    keep in touch
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    feeling very amped up! someone on here posted a thread about clubbells and how they had helped with their shoulder and rotator cuff issues. so i googled as i have been getting a very very annoying rotator cuff issue which has been hampering alot of my activities. they look very promising. anyways i found some here in NZ at a reasonable price and they are on the courier to me tonight!

Sceptic is offline Member
    Hi all,

I'm a single guy in my thirties, living in Dunedin, and I've been mostly grain free for about ten months. I started eating semi-primal mainly to try to improve my health and energy levels. Not to mention having an excuse for frying bacon and eggs in lots and lots of butter :-D

If any of you are down this way, feel free to drop me a line and we can meet for coffee or something and feel smugly superior to anyone around us eating muffins ;-)
    Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jac
    Well bummer, Sceptic - I was there last week!! We used to live there, and have family there. Won't be back for a while, though.

Seaweed, hope the courier has strong arms with a clubbell package! I read about them a while back, but didn't know you could get them here. The movements seem graceful - I'd love to hear how you get on with them.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 7 of 534 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast