Page 67 of 533 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 67

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    With all that going on, who needs to kettlebell?

Don't panic, take it one step at a time, and call in all the favours you are owed. All the best for a productive day.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Thanx Annie, the gas man has just been and managed to get the outdoor gas fire going, so that is one wee thing to tick off the list. I actually hate gas fires, and when we bought this house it had 4 of the damn things (3 inside and 1 outside), and an outside wood fire. We had one inside fire changed to a wood fire, and it is magic. Anyway the people who built this house, went totally overboard on just about everything !!!!!!! but I love living here, and am getting used to only having 12 acres.
    Little lamb still has horrendous scours, so I don't hold out much hope for the wee thing. His mum is doting on him and he is now drinking from the udder. It is a very small udder, but it is definately producing milk. So I might just have to let nature take its course. He is drinking, antibiotics have not helped, I am at a loss as to - what to try next?
    DD and DDBF are just about all moved out. DH tells me that he has a meeting tonight, so I will be all on my lonesome......hang on - coronation street - yay !!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    So, we are changing around here.

First, i have a lot of awesome work to do and it's double-happiness! Streamlined X, Y, Z of my business, got started planning on A and B. Yippee!

Second, I'm curating my own life.

In addition to decluttering from stuff again (every quarter!), we are also decluttering some other aspects of our lives.

We're going to cut the internet first. It's $100 per month and we mostly either A. waste time/do nothing on it or B. watch TV shows.

DH and I stopped doing A on Monday as an exercise. We have decided to watch only our favorite shows, which right now are Wildest India, Supernatural, and Master Chef Australia. For the third, the season is over, so we'll finish watching the last two shows to the end of the seasons (4 more weeks), and then we're going to use Fatso (which we have already set up to receive things like Wildest India and the back seasons of Supernatural). We don't mind waiting for future seasons, either. With master chef, we'll just have to buy it on iTunes or similar when it comes out, and then watch it across a season. And that's if we want to.

I also got the free kindle app for my mac for books if I want to buy them (a lot of my friends and I share kindles on DH's computer, but I put it on mine), and we visit the library once a week for DS, so we might as well pick up books for ourselves on various topics of interest. I'm still on the waiting list for the hunger games.

For skype with family, we moved them to Monday here (Sunday there), so we'll do it at the office. I come in at 11 for two classes anyway, usually just saying hi to folks and checkign emails, so I thought we could skype with my family then, and then i teach for two hours so DH and DS can skype with his parents. Then we'll go swimming while DH goes to the gym, and then I'll either teach the evening class or we'll go home early (i changed my teaching schedule around *again*).

Thus, we really don't need it at home anyway! It liberates us to have more family time on the weekends, as well as in the evenings. I'm psyched about that.

Next, we are cutting our cellphone from a regular plan down to a pay-as-you-go. we only receive calls and texts on it, and I rarely text people anyway. We receive far more minutes and texts than we use per month, and so it makes sense to only pay for our usage. Yay!

So, it will save us money AND give us more time to be more primal. yay!

We're also looking at which activities we want to prioritize. DH does his writing 3 days a week; I am going to do 1 parkour training per week and 1 roller derby (casual league starts next week!) training per week. And then DS will have his archery, and we'll do swimming with him throughout the week! And, we'll do family hikes on Sunday morning!

Wow Zoebird - you go girl. That is a huge shake up/decluttering !!!!! Any chance of you coming down to help me declutter before this wedding ??? LOL
    I have started cleaning the garage. OM goodness what a massive job !!!!! At this stage 120 have been invited to the wedding, with 90 confirmed, so we/they are decorating the garage for the meal. I am hoping it will look a wee bit like the inside of a marquee???? not sure.
    Has anyone tried floating candles on a swimming pool ?? I said to the bride to be, that this might look effective, althou we have underwater lights so I should turn them on at some stage and see if that would look as effective ? (It would save a bit of work).
    Part of the deal is that they pay to hire our home as a venue, and I am also a goffer on the day/night. At this stage I have 3 babies to look after, the nibbles and cocktails to hand around, the supper to heat and serve, and what ever else happens on the night. So I am just conscous that this old Gwamma can only be spread so thinly before she throws all her toys (out of the cot!)

anyway you guys might just have to be my sounding board, dumping ground, etc....

thanx in advance !!!!!
    G

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i got captured by aliens today lol so no stress going on here. have you tried probiotics on the lamb gwamma?

Hey Seaweed, one does wonder about these sorts of '2 above' statements !!!!! LOL
    I haven't tried probiotics, but certainly gastroade type stuff for lambs. No change, and thats what makes me think it might be a hairy shaker....but its still alive, its still drinking from its mother.....so we shall see.
    Well I am beat....absolutely entirely utterly buggared. I will sleep well tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Wow Zoe I am very impressed with your de cluttering efforts. You have taken it to new levels for me! I have done a fair bit of reading about de cluttering and it's larger effects on lifestyle and health. However I do find it somewhat difficult to achieve in real life. My main problem is getting my husband on board - he just doesn't get it and can't see why we would need to do this as its not like we're hoarders. I've started a bi annual de clutter as routine, and I've gotten into some good habits with the kids toys (we seldom buy any and I try to chuck out as soon as they break or the kids grow out of them), but still I have a few 'hot spots' that really bug me and I need to deal with.

My main 'hot spot' is the two cloth nappy hire kits and my daughters old modern cloth nappies, that are now not used but I can't quite find the right home for. Three big boxes of them. I would love to give them to someone who'll use them but everyone I know goes soft and ends up using sposies so I don't want to gift them if they won't be loved and used. I tried selling the kits (they have paid for themselves so don't owe me anything) but didn't get any bites. Maybe I just need to list them for $1 reserve on tm and get over it. The hospice shop won't take the homemade nappies, besides they'd probably end up in the scrap bin where I've seen them before. I know it's so stupid to have this silly attachment to nappies of all things, but I'm keen to get rid of them, it just needs to be right!

Gwamma- you can get floaters for those wee tea lights, I think you could get them from the warehouse or some such. I've only seen them used in bowls of water on tables at weddings though, never in a pool. But I would think the pool would be great, maybe with some other stuff floating in there like some flowers or petals maybe? Too much?

LL, when you say two cloth nappies, what does that mean ????? I have had many dozens of old school nappies, over the years, and am down to my last few now. they make the best rags, cleaning cloths, window cleaning rags ever, but you might mean the ones that are actually sewn like a nappy???? they wouldn't be so good as a rag - me is thinking !!!!! LOL
    Husbands ay ????? you can't live with them - can't live without them !!!!!! but sometimes they just don't GET IT !!!!!!!
    Mine is a horder, from way back.....and I so cannot throw anything away. I found an old pair of farm pants the other day, no fly, holes all over, stains like you wouldn't believe...... so I threw them in the big illegal open hole, that is burned every other month. Guess what I found a couple of days later ????? Not only had he retrieved said pants from the smelly rat infested hole, but was wearing them again....larger than life !!!!!!!!!! LOFL. MEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i'm pretty sure my crt had some type of probiotics for lambs last time we were in there getting horse stuff?
    gwamma are people gonna want to swim in the pool? it sounds like it will look beautiful.

LL cloth nappies are interesting. i got some of those fitted ones for my middle child. but ended up going back to the old school flat ones as they dry so much quicker. half an hour on the line and you are good as new. they aired better and if you do the right fold. they arent really anymore bulky than a aio. they also didnt cost silly money to buy. check out these Dazzling Diaper Art Gallery, a Fuzbaby retrospective they are almost art forms and cost as much as one week's mortgage! i dont know if i would buy a nappy second hand and i am not even vaguely stuck up. maybe coz i have always brought all clothing except underwear second hand? but then if someone i knew gave me some nappies i would use them and i have no idea why i would but wouldnt proactively go out and buy them second hand.

rinsed today. one cup of caffeine coffee yesterday so i was asleep almost before the kids. i am too scared to look at the weather but if it is ok, i will ride my motorcycle and also go get some pingao to weave with as i have the kids all weekend.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the nappies I have are lots of different types of modern cloth nappies. I sew so I've made plenty of them like this: - The Nappy Network Forum - • View topic - Photos of Wee Weka Ka pai! Pockets (small or large) and various other styles that I have come across on the internet or made up myself. I used lots of old school flats as the absorbant 'stuffing' inside the waterproof outer pocket nappies, so I have at least 3 dozen of those (agree with you seaweed, they wash and dry the best) along with a collection of fitted nappies and others that were commercially made. I had two hire kits that I used to lend out to people who wanted to try different styles on their newborns before they purchased their own. They were quite popular and had regular hirers, but I kind of ran out of energy to market them and all the postage and pre-washing was just too time consuming. I bought plenty of second hand nappies - it never bothered me much, just gave them a good wash in hot water with disinfectant. I get so torn up over friends/family who plan to use cloth and then decide that once the baby has arrived that they are faaaaaar to busy to go down to the local stream and beat the nappies on a rock, then stand about watching them dry...............seriously its like one or two extra loads of washing in the machine a week, and you don't even need to soak them anymore (like our mothers did) because our washing machines are so efficient. Grumble grumble......bloody wasting the environment.......grumble grumble.....