Page 58 of 534 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 58

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hey gwamma, one more thing while you are confessing. the potato diet. now i have always read in the alternative gardening literature around the place that modern potatoes have fast releasing sugars vs the old ones which have slow releasing sugars. personally i reckon they did something to potatoes around about when they did the red king which was something like 1916. so unless i cant avoid it, i dont eat any potato post dating that. i know people who have nasty reactions to potatoes but who can eat maori potatoes fine. and i am talking nasty 2+2=4 sorta reactions which just arent there with the maori potatoes. since a potato isnt just a potato and there is far more too it, my plan had been, if i still felt like it, to try potatoing when i harvest my potato crop. i am not sure i could cope with that amount of time with just black coffee and to be honest, i would almost prefer to do a BP coffee fast instead. but one branch of the ancestors survived and thrived even on soley potatoes. till they had a potato blight at any rate but we were smart enough to have gotten out by then. which is another piece in the puzzle of weight loss. i have also read that if your genes have gone thru a major famine, you are far more likely to have weight problems as the obesity gene is more likely to be switched on.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Okay so time for me to fess up !!!!
    I have had the worst fortnight in living history. Nearly divorced, grumpy, cant lose weight, stressed, want to totally crawl under a wee rock and just chill......... so me thought that possibly what I needed was a carb refeed. So quietly without advertising the fact - I roasted pounds of the things, and ate.... and ate...... and ate these bloody potatoes. Trouble was I suddenly started craving sugar !!!!! and I was sooooo hungry..... so for the first time since starting this lifestyle I reached for some lollies, and they went down a treat, then more lollies, I was eating crackers and cheese....all sorts of SH-T !!!!!
    For two whole days this went on and then ..... wham.... not sleeping, bloating like you wouldn't believe, my mouth is FULL to over flowing with ulcers, hungry like you wouldn't believe !!!!!!
    so yesterday I went back to totally paleo....... fat, meat, vegs
    slept last night - like a log, feel full again, tummy has de-stended........
    back on track....phew....but how path-et-ic am I ????????
    No, no, no. Please don't run yourself down, Gwamma. I'm truly sorry you've had such a horrid time, but when you think about it, all you did was eat potatoes and lollies for two days. It could have been much much worse, many people's diets consistently are. I am sorry for the revolting consequences too, as I'm sure you are, but isn't it a great thing that just one day of totally paleo eating has restored you? That's almost miraculous. I do think it's wonderful that having tried this way of eating we now know what actually works and how to take care of ourselves. So, take care and have a great day.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Thanx Guys, I suppose we all have ups and downs, and I am very bad, when feeling down, at looking at the negatives - but good point Annie, yes one day of decent eating has got me back on track - so a massive positive, and Seaweed, maybe I too shouldn't eat many carbs - and to be truthful i haven't over the last few months. I would possibly have 2 x cups of veges per day(max) - so maybe I am not a carber ????
    anyways I shall continue to monitor, get back on a weight loss trend, and get me out in the fresh air.
    thank you
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

i am better with carbs from non starchy veges and the carbs incidentally in dairy or nuts. i dont really do any fruit. the occasional berry but that may change once we get stone fruit back in season. every now and then i make a paleo mug cake which uses a banana. i may have the odd roasted yam. i've run out of maori potatoes and i occasionally have pumpkin. i did get some parsnips today which i do like. but they are more sunday dinner fare.

Gwamma I hope you are starting to bounce back again, good food along with some fresh air are sure to help. Not that they alone can solve every problem, but when things look grim it's nice to be kind to yourself.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    This thread makes me want to swim the Tasman so I can join in.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Just finished planting my deck (with the help of little miss) we now have a lemon, two blueberries, one Chilean Guava, a cucumber (hoping to trail that along the deck edge but we'll see), lots of strawberries and lettuce. Looking good for a summer crop. I'm trying to work up the courage for some cherry tomatoes, but they require a bit of hassle (spraying and tying up etc) so not sure if I'm up for it.
    Oh that's such an inspiration, Lizzielou. I so love the IDEA of eating my own produce, so I really need to get round to planting it in the first place. I have seed potatoes sprouting in the shed, surely they will be ready to go in by now, I must venture out there to check on them.

Garden maintenance often defeats me too, but I will endeavour to be better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Gwamma I hope you are starting to bounce back again, good food along with some fresh air are sure to help. Not that they alone can solve every problem, but when things look grim it's nice to be kind to yourself.
    Thank you Annie, yes am feeling a wee bit more positive - lets see what tomorrow brings !

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    This thread makes me want to swim the Tasman so I can join in.
    Badgergirl - just do it, althou its a bloody long way !!!!!!

...small steps....

how is everyone this morning? i am sore after the gym. i never know whether to just rest till it stops hurting or ignore the pain and get back into my clubbells and the like at home. i still walk but i look on that as dynamic stretching altho it was more like base jumping this morning the wind is so strong here.

made kina mousse for breakfast today. OMG it was good. other than some cream, it was all good paleo stuff. i could have subbed with coconut milk or coconut cream but i wanted to keep the flavour subtle.

recipe i stole is here Sea Urchin Mousse with Ginger Vinaigrette Recipe at Epicurious.com
    i used chicken broth, no cayenne or lemon juice. i forgot about the cayenne and didnt want to cut up another lemon. i didnt cook it either. just stuck the broth and gelatin in a mug on the fire to melt. dumped everything in the blender and then put it in a rammekin in the fridge. i didnt do the ginger vinagrette as i just had it for breakfast but i do reckon some mace maybe in the mousse would be nice but it would need to be subtle.

Seaweed - I will so NOT be trying that one !!!!! however if I sub the sea urchin with something else, that might work ??????
    Am feeling a whole lot more positive today - yay......
    off into town (chch) to spend my birthday vouchers, one is at a jewellery store..... double yay
    then get more clear turps based polyuri-something, food shop, briscoes for a cast iron wok etc....
    Terrible story.....friend doing some poly urithaning for us earlier this week, large 5 ltr container of said poly U sitting on table....huge gust of wind comes along and dumps full tin of PU all over table, concrete, air compressor, extension cord etc... You get the picture.
    How does one soak up 5 ltr of PU before it starts to soak into concrete, garden, schist.....
    It was panic station there for a moment, but thank fully this old Gwamma has a huge cupboard of rags, so that and a whole lot of hot sunlight soapy water later.......we have a wedding here in a couple of weeks, so it could have been a disaster !!!
    Dear oh dear, wasn't the best day - I can tell you !!!!!

Sadly middle daughter and her boyfriend move out over the next few days, and excitedly DH and I will have our home back !!! so I am looking forward to it, but will miss the two of them like crazy. DDBF (darling daughters boy friend) will often make dinner, or do the washing etc.... so he has been very handy to have around. DD is also great at drenching, vaccinating, crutching, climbing onto the roof to do stuff, bringing me wild game etc.....

so sadly I will excitedly say goodbye to my two wee things......

...small steps....