Page 5 of 524 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 5

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hi trishmas.

cheese is so expensive here, I can't imagine eating it regularly. LOL i also don't drink wine (never have) so it's not at issue for me. neither is coffee and stuff. perhaps tea is at issue for me? LOL

you'll be ok. you'll figure out what is what soon enough, get on a rhythm, and see things start to sort themselves.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trishmas View Post
    I was so excited to see this thread!!!
    I thought I was a lonesome lil primal kiwi!
    I'm 27, grew up in Dargaville, been an Aucklander now for a while, recently primal (nearly 2 months!) and I have no primal mates!! Everyone thinks I'm a bit crazy, but I absolutely love this lifestyle! I've struggled to lose weight for all of my adult life, and have been on every diet under the sun. Have had difficulties with energy levels & gut issues, but I think I'm finally getting on top of these. The primal lifestyle really suits me, & I think it'll actually work, I just need to be a bit stricter. My biggest issues are eating cheese (loove it!) & drinking red wine (loove it more). Not too much difficulty giving up grains, although I reeeeallly miss vogels toast with vegemite!

Good luck to all of you, I'm so glad I found this
    Hi Trishmas, great to meet yet another primal kiwi. I started less than three months ago also and I have been surprised how easy it was to give up grains, and how much better that has made me feel. I'm sure you're right, this lifestyle does work, and I wish you success. It certainly is not easy explaining this way of eating to others, but it is remarkably simple to do - basically just eat real food : meat, veggies, eggs and some of the other goodies like fruit, cheese and nuts. And of course, butter, cream and fat. Yum, it's the best.

CrystalRain is offline Junior Member
    Hi I'm in Auckland and started primal about a month ago. I love it, and also found it easy to give up the grains, except the vogels, I still crave that sometimes with avocado. But I'm feeling really good. Trishmas where abouts in Aucks are you? I don't have any primal friends either. I have 2 kids 6 & 9yrs and slowly trying to change their diet aswell, they do love their grains!
    I came back in January after 3 years in Perth, those living there I found a few great places for quality meat and veg in my area if your interested, I was living in Midland/hills area. Great thread for kiwis!

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    OMG, everyone stop talking about Vogels! I'm having a wicked craving today and I'm literally salivating at the thought of buttery toasted vogels with marmite..................................

Anyone tried that Crio Bru stuff yet? I found the aussie website, but I'm too tight fisted to pay for postage to NZ on something I'm not really all that sure about. Yesturday I got myself some Ceres cacao nibs and ground them up then popped them in my coffee plunger, drank this with some coconut cream and stevia. Not all that impressed to be honest, give me a milo any day! It just felt a little thin and watery IYKWIM?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Another kiwi here. been at it since about jan 2010. have cheated lots on and off tho. Lizzielou 2 funny about the cacao nibs. i got some raw cacao beans and roasted them in the gas oven with the kids gf tangelo polenta cake. i figured i needed some excitement so if they caught on fire it wouldnt be too much of a drama. they didnt so it was a bit of a let down. then when they were cold, i turfed them into my juicer which also will grind coffee beans and is supposed to make nut butters. i have no instructions for it so it was an experiment. what came out the other end was a dark cocoa butter. useful for 100% chocolate and now i know how to make nut butters too with it! i brewed it up. tasted like watery cocoa.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Hi Seaweed
    So we both think it tasted watery huh? Still, its probably way healthier than a milo and it certainly made for a good chocolate fix. That is interesting about the 'cocoa butter', I'm thinking about all the inventive recipes you could use it for. I have a big bag of macadamia's at home that I've been meaning to make into butter for ages now. I only have a blender though so I'm not sure how successful it'll be.

well apparently you can make coconut butter in a blender so it should work with something oily like macs. i have tried with coconut but it never worked. never tried with any other nuts. we have been away skiing so i am broke for the next week or two lol but after that i am going to experiment with my juicer now i know how it works as i have an addiction for that creamed coconut stuff. you could always make pesto with your macadamias once they've been in the blender if they dont turn to butter. or one of those flourless chocolate nut cakes. i use the 85% lindt chocolate and leave the sugar out.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I havn't been in here for a bit. We have liitle kiwis scurrying out from all over the place....fan-bloody-tas-tic !
    I so knew that you were all out there - just waiting for the right moment. WE might just have to organise our own little Kiwi conference.
    Sorry guys - gotta go....a wee lamb needs tube feeding.
    x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I got some raw cacao nibs off TradeMe - they're not great on their own (too fibrous and bitter) but I put them into a mix of 85% Lindt and almost a whole jar of coconut oil to make crunchy coconut bark. I heat it all up over some hot water, then spoon it into muffin paper cups. It's not the most delicious thing in the world, but it makes increasing coconut oil intake heaps more palatable, and gives a chocolate fix at the same time! I've been wondering about what they'd be like if I roasted them. I could use a new oven, so a fire wouldn't be a complete disaster .

I live in Pirongia, just south of Hamilton, and work in Auckland sometimes. I think a paleo conference here would be great! Do you follow Julianne Taylor and Jamie Scott's blogs?? Both of them are internationally recognised paleo peeps! There's also some interesting paleo people on the trademe health and beauty forum (and some really aggressive trolls, too!)
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

i dont read the tm forums. i wasnt even aware they were anything other than trading sorta discussions. i like the creamed coconut coz it makes getting more coconut oil in easier but it is hell expensive. we did used to get it in blocks when i was in london so i am going to try my local indian shop that sells all the spices etc to see if they have any. creamed coconut and lindt 85% chocolate would be very yummy indeed. cacao nibs ITA not so sure what all the fuss was about. def the most exciting thing about raw cacao would be a theatrical oven fire lol i do occasionally get some on a whim, in case i was wrong, and make one of those chocolate paleo mug cakes when i've been training and throw them in there. but i always wish i'd used flaked almonds instead or not bothered.

Page 5 of 524 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast