Page 41 of 534 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 41

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    we had maori potatoes (not kumara) for the first time this year. OMG -- *in love* -- they have the most delicious, normal potato flavor/exture, but are somehow richer and. . . since they are DARK purple, i suspect they are *way* more nutritious. We bought a bunch each week.

school holidays are hard. it's difficult to get my work done.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    anyway I will eat some grains one day to really see if it causes that much pain and inflamation
    i wouldnt bother. it is just not worth it. i am still dealing with the eating monster from sunday. i do know if the kids get spiked gluten it takes them about 10 days to get better and the gnarly behaviour peaks at about a week. have fun getting your hair done. i am going to tail sheep!

we had maori potatoes (not kumara) for the first time this year. OMG -- *in love* -- they have the most delicious, normal potato flavor/exture, but are somehow richer and. . . since they are DARK purple, i suspect they are *way* more nutritious. We bought a bunch each week.

school holidays are hard. it's difficult to get my work done
    these are just one variety and the most boring one! try to find some of the others as they are even better. if you have a garden, you can grow them too. it will be the kiss of death tho as you will never be able to eat a supermarket potato again. i hear you about school holidays. it is a double edged sword as not only is it harder to get work done but you have to spend more money amusing everyone.

we haven't spent more money amusing everyone -- ds is quite capable on his own, really -- but it's still stressful because my work load doesn't decrease just because of school holidays! lol

we don't have a garden, though I've talked to the community garden about growing maori potatoes. I just get what I can.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I love my maori potatoes! I think I asked a question about these way back on like page 3 or something.......anyway I have got them in my garden so I do plan on eating them whenever they are ready. I have the knobbly dark purple ones, smooth round pinky ones with purple streaks inside and white ones with purple/pink eyes. I have long since forgotten their names so I have to go with discriptions now. My kids love the dark purple and we have named them 'pootatoes' cause they look like you've just dug up a turd in the garden LOL. They make a lovely addition to pootato salad, great at a dinner party to get everyone talking. I planted some in my vege patch about 3 or 4 years ago and they keep me readily supplied each year, last year I had a fantastic crop so I added a couple more from the garden centre this spring to top them up.

Have fun getting your hair done Gwamma, there is nothing nicer than getting pampered with a new do.

Yum asparagus season! Unfortunately our local farm that sold at the farmers market closed up after last season, so I'll be forced to buy from the supermarket this year. I had my first spear diced in my breakfast omelete this morning.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Oh yum - Maori potatoes! We've just been talking about what to plant this year. I love growing tomatoes and beetroot for bottling. I usually make some great zucchini pickle, too - but now I'm finding it a bit too sweet, so I'll find/create a better recipe this summer. Last year we planted kumara for the first time - not a great success, since the vines took over the garden and we still didn't get a great crop.

We shelved the idea of keeping chickens. For one thing, it'd drive the dogs insane , but also we really want to expand our horizons and do some travelling now that the kids have left home - we never did the big OE thing as kids, so we want to try it out now! So getting more animals doesn't really sit well that that dream. However, Tony works in the private sector and he's a bit worried about his job security. So if it came to having to manage on one income we would revisit the chicken/garden idea to get more sustainable. Gotta plan for the worst and hope for the best!

I gave up completely on the low carb thing last night. I've been getting more and more stressed about it, culminating in a sugar binge while driving yesterday! Today I have the stomach ache to prove it. So I had potato with my dinner last night, and will reintroduce the safe starches, PHD style. It worked for me before - keeps my IBS under control, my weight stable, and my sleep/mood in good shape. I'll destress on it for a bit - but I still have lots of weight to lose, so will have to keep trying somehow. Simple calorie restriction doesn't do it . I'm what's known as a 'hard loser' - probably because I have a high level of metabolic damage. Most of the gurus say that low carb and/or fasting is the only way I'll be able to lose weight, so I'll probably revisit them again once things are settled again.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    OH Jac, that is a bit rough, but I really do think you are doing the right thing by listening to what your body is telling you. I've had an IBS flair up after my not so fantastic diet over the weekend away. At the most random times I suddenly find myself in the grips of a stomach cramp followed by 'you know what' - its good to get a wee reminder now and then as to why grain free is so important! I let myself have at least two kumara a week and the odd handful of dried fruit and fresh fruit every day, and I have still improved my health and managed to ssssllllloooooowwwwwlllllyyy loose weight too. Just be patient with that body of yours.

Riddle me this: how come in NZ, when you say "leave the room the way that you found it" that equals "leave the room a freakin' mess and then blink at the person when they say "hey, you didn't leave the room the way that you found it."

I even left detailed instructions on how to properly fold the blankets so that they fit on the shelves properly.

I think it's ok to have more carbs if that's what works for you. I make sure I don't VLC.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    we haven't spent more money amusing everyone -- ds is quite capable on his own, really -- but it's still stressful because my work load doesn't decrease just because of school holidays! lol
    it is the gas to get places to amuse everyone that costs $s as we live rural. i had to go to town every day last week which is a 50+k round trip each time. usually i go once or twice at the outside. swimming pools, the dreaded chipmunks, having to stop for a coffee etc all swiftly adds up.

in terms of not having a garden, i have done spud in a bucket with a few schools. we also use PB40 planter bags to put potatoes in.

Jac - zucchini flowers fried are a total delicacy. super yummy. you can stuff them with garlic and herb cheese or you could prob use that cauliflower and hazelnut breadless stuffing as you cant have dairy. cant remember if nuts are out too for you. i am in love with zucchini noodles as well. i so am getting a few plants this year

tailing was cancelled so i am home for now cutting up another deer leg. gonna have to google to work out the plan for the front ones later on. i have worked out too that i can happily eat fat on meat now. i have been rendering the tallow off the fatty bits, of which there are stuff all and i find that if you take them out when the meaty bits are crisp but the fatty bits are kinda halfway they are heavenly!

I think if you live rurally you just send them outside. LOL