Page 407 of 536 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 5355

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 407

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We're doing ok. The food supply is strange here -- it's inexpensive, of course, but going to a restaurant is weird. Portion sizes are out of control. Even so, i just eat the portion that I want/need.

DS is hilarious. He commented "The Americas are really luxurious" recently after coming out of a bathroom. His assessment of how luxurious it is here is based on his visiting of toilets at various locations: "even the gas stations have fancy toilets!" We thought it was pretty funny.

He's having a great time with his grandparents.

Dh and I are still looking for work. I've set up some interviews and meetings for myself and DH has several interviews, too. So, things will shake out shortly, I'm sure.

DS got into the local steiner school, as well. He was pushed to the front of the line since he has been a steiner student for the last 3 years really. Great news for us, and they're willing to "scholarship" him until we are on our feet. I'm very happy about that, and DH and I will volunteer at the school until we are working and things get established. So that's helpful. I told them I'd take charge of establishing a garden at the school, too, since they don't already have one (it's pretty integral to the curriculum, so it seems weird to me that they don't have that already done, but okies. Gives me something to do!).

Also, can I tell you guys that I hate TV? The amount of advertising is overwhelming.
    that is very funny about your ds judging the place by its toilets. Also, very glad you got him into the steiner school it sounds great and your contribution with the garden is evidently exactly what is needed, you must be in the right place Good luck to both of you with the job hunting.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that you need to adapt at all Seas. You are a well adapted cave girl, who anyone would be proud to have on their team......keep at it
    G x
    no what i meant was i have a phycological need to get out on my own and get some space so i "exercise". if i am stuck at home throwing big dumbbells around with shreiking kids and the dog bouncing all over me, i go insaner LOL so i need to mix it up. stick the weight vest on and run around the back yard up and down hills with the dog. which is a major obstacle course as he is such a freaking tripping hazard. the first scuff on the new i-phone before i ran it with the hog was from the dog under my feet when we were running. i need to be able to hula hoop with the kids for half an hour to stop them screaming. that sorta diversify. rather than a blanket get out and run for the hills for a while.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    BBY = Bring Booze Yourself

Sounds like everyone's kept busy this weekend.

I've had some long days and late nights (well late for me at least). The lounge is almost finished and the contractors have worked all weekend fencing the back section and building a new deck.

Can't wait for the fencing to be finished so we can just let the dogs out to run around the back. Having said that, old bossy boots managed to jump out of an open window and take herself of around the paddocks this evening. Surprisingly she was very well behaved and didn't even chase the pukekos (3 pairs all with chicks, but I think that was just because she was trying to work out if she could get through the boundary fence to chase the neighbours alpacas but she came straight back as soon as I called her.

G'night all
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Okay guys. I'm thinking of moving to New Zealand on a work holiday pass. I can get 12-23 months as a UK citizen. I've been googling but is there any particular advice or information you think I should know? I've been looking at the northern island, specifically Auckland.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would highly recommend doing it, as New Zealand is great.

Once there, if you want to stay, the easiest way to go would be to fall in love with someone who has permanent residence. Get residence that way, and then you can stay.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Morning all. A monkey, please don't bypass the South Island on your travels to our beautiful country. Come and stay.
    Re residency. I am led to believe that it is easier to gain residency if you have a vocation that New Zealand wants. We have an Indonesian girl living with us, and she is a top chef, as in has won awards, was head hunted by one of our finest yadda yadda ya............. Anyway she is still waiting to hear, and it has been over six months since she applied. Apparently chefs are sort after here.
    It was sad that Zoe and her family have had to leave, and I suppose one never knows if it will swing positively in your favour or not. You will never know if you don't give it a go. I am hoping for a positive outcome for our wee boarder.
    Good luck

On a chillier note.......... Major frost going on here this morning. I am so pleased that I still have the wee tomato plants under the eaves of the house.
    Middle DD competed in the barrel racing at the rodeo this weekend. Not a brilliant outcome althou she did it and the horse will be getting better with the noise, and people, and other horses etc..... She is still limping from when the horse fell back on top of her, so I am hoping that she hasn't done too much damage to those ligaments.

Suns out and it's looking like its gonna be a beauty day. Here's hoping the wind stays away
    G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    LOL i always tell people to go to auckland so i keep the beach to myself!!! the only downside of where we live is it isnt really that warm. not warm enough to grow tomatoes outside even so no worries on me accidentally getting any seedlings frosted here. awesome day today. sunny and warm ( LOL ) with stuff all wind. me and the dog just went to the beach - on our own even. just us and about 5 sea lions and a few seagulls and black oystercatchers. very peaceful. i agree with G, it helps to have a vocation NZ needs. we have to import IT developers at work for example as we cant get them here.

found a very interesting cake recipe here. How To Make An Allergy-Friendly Birthday Cake | Stuff.co.nz i am thinking of doing skull cupcakes or something like a 2 tiered cake covered in chocolate spiders webs with a big spider on top for halloween. 16 eggs is a bit OTT so i will poss halve it. or i may just be boring and do a simple GF cake as the kids will eat it all anyways.

Misabi is offline Senior Member

Re: Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Auckland is a good jump off point for travellers to make some cash while being able to do some nice weekend/sorry break type trips to cool places within an hour or 4s drive, but probably not the most picturesque part of the country itself. Depends what your after really.

When I first came here for a six week holiday I spent most of it in the North Island and did a 2 week whistle stop trip hitch hiking around the South Island and for scenery South wins hands down! It's absolutely stunning. That's not to say the North has nothing to offer, but not as dramatic as the Souththat's for sure.

12 years later and I've still never made it further south again than Wellington
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-28-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    That is just wrong Misabi. You need to come on down here for a wee caveman conference. In the combi of course.........
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

voyaging is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yay the wind has died down enough for me to get some vitamin d in! I also dragged the kids up mount kaukau yesterday, even the 3 year old! Great wellington winds shoved in their faces

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app