Page 40 of 534 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 40

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    well thankfully i dont have a hand brake. the ex handbrake does still try to comment on my shopping abilities tho.

tell me which butter chicken recipe is this? i am still pesco game meating so i may have to ghee fish or ghee venison but i am sure i could do something. what do you have it with too? i've been doing steamed cauliflower and veges with curry of recent. never did like rice anyways.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Ok so I just throw it all in the slow cooker, todays version didn't have yoghurt, I added some potatoes for DH, and we will have it with salad.

Butter chicken

Ingredients:

 4 pounds chicken thighs, chopped into 1-inch cubes
     6 garlic cloves, crushed
     2 teaspoons garam masala
     3 teaspoons ground coriander
     3 teaspoons ground cumin
     1 teaspoon chilli powder
     1 teaspoon paprika
     3/4 cup Greek-style (thick) yogurt
     7 tablespoons butter, chopped1 tablespoon white vinegar
     3 tablespoons tomato paste
     4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
     6 cardamom pods (crush pods slightly to release seeds and more flavor)
     1 cinnamon stick
     1 1/2 cup cream or coconut milk
     1/2 cup fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
    Instructions:
    Combine chicken, garlic, spices and yogurt in a covered container. Refrigerate for an hour or two.

Melt butter in a deep pan. Add vinegar, tomato paste, tomatoes, cardamom and cinnamon. Boil rapidly, stirring until sauce is thick (approximately 20 minutes).
    Reduce heat to a simmer and add chicken. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through. Add cream or coconut milk, simmer a few minutes more, and garnish with chopped cilantro.

I am sure that if I actually did it to the recipe it would be great, but my slow cooker version is also brilliant. I hate HOT things, but I added a little more chilly or something today. It ended up with a bit of a bite, but it was great.

so good luck. I might do a potato day or six ?????? still in two minds, and tomorrow will not be a good day to start this !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

i cant stand modern potatoes so if everyone gets skinny lol i will try it when my nice maori potatoes are ready in the late summer. obviously if i stumble across a sack of taewa before then i may give it a whirl. i do know of a man i could txt to ask lol potatoes for that long is quite daunting but then one branch of the ancestors used to live on them. 15 lbs a day on average no less. so i could class it as an ethnic experiment. for the curry do you literally just throw it all in the slow cooker or marinate the chook first, then chuck it all in and for how long? i dont have fresh coriander. the kids dad reckoned it tasted like dishwashing liquid. i am told it is a genetic thing about hw you taste coriander so i wouldnt risk it with them in a curry. i dont think i have garam marsala but i have everything else to make it with some fish instead. i could steal the dog's chicken drumsticks but he needs to eat too till i go shopping.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Ooooh gwamma that recipe looks good. Think I'll tuck that one away, we had curry yesterday so I'll give it a few days before I drop that one on my family.

Seaweed, I made fish cakes this evening that would fit your current pesco thing I think? Just chuck half a purple onion, 500g fish (I used red cod), 2 tsp thai red curry paste, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 carrot, handful of coriander in a food processor and chop until it forms a rough paste. Form into small rounds and fry in coconut oil. Make a sauce for these with lime juice, fish sauce and red chilli. Very simple, but lots of good flavours.

yumm they sound good. how important is fish sauce? i keep not buying any but i can make the effort on thursday if i remember. i always have this vision of it tasting like fermented cod liver oil for some reason lol i dont have carrots i dont think and i only have white onions, no coriander but maybe parsley. i have the rest so i could do them for lunch tomorrow. you could prob even do them as meatballs in a sorta thai curry soup with fish stock, coconut milk, lime and the chilli from the sauce?

japanese curries i am sure i have said are awesome too.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    You could probably get away subbing the fish sauce with salt, but it does have a lovely flavour, smells like arse though

i will be brave and get some fish sauce. you need to do something which scares you every day lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    smells like arse though
    LizzieLou this so conjures up some really "embarassing bodies" thoughts !!!!! Have you seen that programme ???? anyways wot do you mean ??????? Cos its not something that I have done - ?????

Seaweed what are Maori potatoes ????? Are they not kumara/sweet potato ???

and guys I just throw whatever into my dinners. If it works - yay, if it doesn't- nine times out of ten - its edible !!!!!!

so if you do not have an ingredient or you don't want to put it in - just go with the flow !!!!!

I am just polishing off a whole bunch of fresh asparagus, slightly cooked, drizzled in salt and butter .....yum !!!!!

...small steps....

maori potatoes are the older varieties the maori grew and still grow. there are the famous little purple ones but then there are a raft of others which are waxy or floury. all predate the 20th C. google graham harris i think as he did a paper on them. or even google maori potatoes. ETA here: Nga riwai: Maori potatoes. he did a paper about the potato blight we had in 1916 which effected the maori in the north island very badly too which you can find on line.

i saw some asapargus today but i was illegally parked and had literally $10 to spend on food so i had to run right past. my plan is to try duck fat hollandaise with it
    Duck Fat hollandaise Recipe - A Recipe for Hollandaise Sauce | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

i also have been cutting up one of the deer legs with my able bodied red nosed assitant lol he has the scraps and i keep cutting. i decided it must be doable on my own so i googled and found a you-tube
    Butchering the hind leg of a deer - YouTube hers is a red deer as mine has different shaped muscles but the principle is the same.

i work on the art of permaculture cooking too. and it is always edible. still cursing that freaking GF flour in the paua as i still want to stuff my face. if i keep my head down in a raw deer leg with a very sharp knife, i am suitably distracted tho.

Good girl Seaweed ! I have a small bite of a salada cracker yesterday, first grains in 6 months !!!! and woke in the night with horrendous bloating and gut pains. It was only one small bite. one small swallow, so I can't think what else it could have been ??????

anyway I will eat some grains one day to really see if it causes that much pain and inflamation.

Alrighty peoples - am off to Culverden for the day - to get my hair done !!!!!!

have a grand day and I will pop in when I get home.
    G X

...small steps....