Page 32 of 536 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 32

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Okay, get over on the ferry and I will pick you up. Goddamn it girl I met my husband hitch-hiking - on my own - from Dunedin to Auckland - way back in the day - so you can damn well get across on that ferry unassisted !!!!!! actually little mister four year old will take very good care of you !!!! LOL
    Then you might have to drive -specially if i have had a red one !!!!
    don't be stuck !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    did you know that the ferry and the airplane cost the same? I'll take the plane and save the time.

seriously. i've done that ferry once. never again. lol

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    hitch a ride across on a fishing boat! i went around half the south island on a fishing boat at the start of the year and it was awesome. they will be heading into tuna season around about xmas so there will be boats going over the cook strait. i had a very funny snippet back from my oldest the other day about the outlaws. i would never let them near my younger 2 kids. they were crazy. when me and the exhubby split, he did the whole PR job on the outlaws and maligned my attitude lol kids go to stay with the mother out law in aux while i was away fishing. mother out law is obviously insane. as in does crazy stuff like yell and shriek and kick cupboards on a regular basis when she doesnt get her way. my middle daughter says to her big sis the other day, something along the lines of..last time i didnt believe mum about someone, she was right and i was wrong lol she also said to me the other day that it took gran 3 days of good behaviour before she started acting up. poor kids tho. it really sluts me that they dont have decent grandparents as we so need good role models of older folk out there. helps with respect for society in general.

back to the deer. OMG one of the neighbours happened to be where we were cutting it up as i didnt do it at home. he used to work at the works and he skinned it. you know how if someone is good at something they make it look easy? well the skin came off easier than i take my wetsuit off lol if you have ever tried to skin anything, that is one mean feat. i have it all in pieces in the boot of my car. and we're gonna seam bone and steak the legs on monday.

hey Jac, can you tell us about carb nites? i had a whisky nite last night. ooops but i do wonder what we are sposed to do with ketosis. can you go in and out or do you get stuck there as it is so good.

Seaweed - sorry about our little stitch up episode, but it could be fun to go to Hong Kong ?????? I'd be a starter. Are you in Jac ?????
    Only problem is I would be in bed early with my false teeth in the glass, curlers in my hair and the twin set slung over the chair - so I wouldn't be that much fun...... oh and I so have to watch Coro Street !!!!!!!
    Is it a plan ???????

and Jac I am interested in this ketosis thing too. Am wondering if one of the reasons I am gwumpy gwamma at the moment is partly because I'm out of Ketosis ??????

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    lol i a trip to hongkong would be like going to outer space so it would definitely be an adventure. i very definitely had almost 3 weeks of nasty tiredness and grumpiness. other than my foray into the neat whisky last night, which is carb free btw, the only carbs i have had have been in non starchy veges, nuts and the incidental amounts in dairy. i feel good now and can still run, lift etc. like i could before. i dont have to go to bed at 8pm anymore but i still have a short fuse. it is the school holidays i guess but i do feel myself getting irritated more than usual and i feel it in my gut. it is that sort of annoyance. i also find having to eat all this fat at the expense of real food quite a trick.

I so agree ! What is your calorie count and breakdown ? ie P/F/C ?

...small steps....

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Count me in - I've hardly been overseas, so it'd be fun. Did you watch any of the hangover movies?? We could do that! Seaweed, you're the star of this show, so you'd better be Bradley Cooper .

About carb nite - it's a diet by a guy called Keifer - google him. His website is called Dangerously Hardcore, lol. He has one programme called Carb Backloading which is for heavy lifters, and one called Carb Nite for people like me - overweight and not doing heavy exercise.

He has 4 rules. First rule of carb nite is that no-one talks about carb nite - no wait, that's Fight Cub. Start again

1. First cycle is 9.5 days of very low carb - less than 30g a day
    2. Carb nite follows - 6 to 8 hours of really high glycemic carbs. No whole grains, lol.
    3. At least 4 days of very low carb, preferably a week
    4. Carb nite no more than once a week, and don't skip it ever

His reckoning is that with VLC you get into fat burning but you also tank your energy, leptin, growth hormone and potentially your thyroid. My reckoning is that VLC is really tedious.

The plan is to do hardcore fat burning for most of the week, then dramatically spike your insulin over a short period which has a positive effect on metabolism, then go back to fat burning. He says the spike from carb nite actually increases the effectiveness of the fat burning process.

You can't get the spike with low GI foods - it's the time to go for sugar, alcohol etc. And one meal isn't enough to get the physiological response you need, so he suggests a snack, then a high carb dinner, then dessert, then supper lol. He's not at all primal!!! He also doesn't emphasise eating lots of fat during the VLC phase, since his goal isn't ketosis, it's just staying away from carbs so insulin stays as low as possible.

I've only done one cycle - carb nite is tonight!! NourishedEm has used it for weight loss, though. I really like being able to literally eat what I want for half a day - it's also a pattern that other people have used, although not quite as scientific as this, to do really serious deprivation all the time except for one day a week. This is less than a day, but I'm liking it so far.

I have his book if you're interested - PM me your email and I'll send it.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    On another topic - do you guys keep chickens?? I'm thinking of it, but don't know the first thing about them (yet)
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Good to see you 3 discussing Hong Kong...Now back to your regularly scheduled programming

BTW, Gwamma, you were not completely honest with me...You can't be old and wrinkly as you are only 3 years older than I am...and I'm not old and wrinkly! Well, at least in my minds eye I am not

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like interesting stuff, Jac.

I'm completely missing the 'boat' on these hong kong/hangover references (though I loved those movies).

The tough thing about my ILs is that it's insidious and not obvious. They seem respectable in every way, but whenever they feel uncomfortable, they get you into a manipulation triangle and/or splinter -- which makes you feel bad and then makes them look good. It *sucks*.

It's hard enough for an adult to recognize when it is happening -- a little kid doesn't have a shot. my ILs are not allowed to be alone with him. DH wanted to give them a shot when DS was an infant (literally within 6 weeks old). I went to sleep and he went to sleep and my ILs had the baby. In our house.

Next thing I know, I wake up with sore breasts -- which means it's time to breastfeed. my ILs are nowhere to be found. I start freaking out (i was afraid they were going to circumcise him, seriously), and DH gets on his cell phone and starts trying to call them and stuff. He's out walking the neighborhood thinking maybe they went for a walk.

He notices that the car is gone (which has the car seat in it), and he's like, ok where the F did they go?

Two hours after this, they rock up with baby formula and bottles. We were exclusively breastfeeding and I had worked diligently for a week with a lactation consultant to get him on the breast. I was also pumping and feeding him breast milk exclusively.

They said he was getting hungry and instead of waking us they got formula (rather than the milk and tube/finger feeding which we'd been doing for a week, milk in the fridge, which we told them before we went to sleep).

MIL says "milk is gross. this is clean." No, it isn't you idiot. It's sludge. It's bad for kids and a last resort food!

I take my baby and go in the house and get to my room and close the door and lock it. I was so mad that I couldn't even look at them. I was FUMING. DH had to take care of it, and they give him this "sob story" about how all of their friends get to feed their grandkids and how selfish I am for wanting to exclusively breastfeed and such.

As it was, we *barely* left him alone with them, and they fed him formula while they were out becuase he got hungry. I was LIVID.

DH usually just kinda "brushes it under the rug" but I told him "no, not anymore." And, no matter how much he thinks his parents are ok around our kid, i say NO -- absolutely NO.

Seriously, not going to happen. Ever. Until he's 16 or greater.