Page 300 of 534 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 5331

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 300

  1. #2991
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,934
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i always say the reason i go to the gym is to get my full ROM in on all the exercises and some balance. good example. my right leg is alot stronger than my left leg. all the hills i go up, all the obstacles i jump over etc, i lead with my right leg. so when i am at the gym, once a week, i work my left side separately so it has to keep up. i work around things like my slightly dodgy rotator cuff too which shovelling guano would only poss aggravate. but since i can strengthen it, it is getting better. so can you do a proper pull up now from doing CC when you couldnt at the start?
    Thats what I like about bodyweight work is that it promotes balance.... you do just as many pistol squats with your right leg as your do with your left.... etc

    I can do a pull up now, where I couldn't before, even though I haven't gotten through the progression 2 steps before full pull ups.

  2. #2992
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    can you pistol squat as well? i can do them in about a foot of water but my leg wont go the first foot on its own otherwise. and going to the gym does not necessarily promote balance, you have to make it promote balance.

  3. #2993
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    can you pistol squat as well? i can do them in about a foot of water but my leg wont go the first foot on its own otherwise. and going to the gym does not necessarily promote balance, you have to make it promote balance.
    I can do about 1/2 a pistol squat with both legs.... I can go down far enough to sit in a chair, and I can get back up from that position on either leg. I had a hard time doing 2 legged 1/2 quats when I started, so my legs have come a long way.

  4. #2994
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    i can sit on the outside edge of my shower and get up on my right leg. it is 13.5" high. i could almost almost do it on my left leg but that is my dodgy ankle so i cant right now. i can do the ass to grass squats with both legs and i barbarian squat the 6kg dumbbell ass to grass with both legs. also not right now coz of the ankle. ankle flexibility is important with all those so that is worth practising for sure.

  5. #2995
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i can sit on the outside edge of my shower and get up on my right leg. it is 13.5" high. i could almost almost do it on my left leg but that is my dodgy ankle so i cant right now. i can do the ass to grass squats with both legs and i barbarian squat the 6kg dumbbell ass to grass with both legs. also not right now coz of the ankle. ankle flexibility is important with all those so that is worth practising for sure.
    Thats pretty cool.... I can do full squats with my heals together (close squats), 3 sets 30 reps was the last time I did them (about a month ago). I was doing 3 sets of 50 full squats with my feet shoulder width apart before I went to the close squats.

  6. #2996
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    from the strength training anatomy book i have the close squats work the quads more. i have a deep seated irrational fear of getting large quads so i always do feet shoulder width apart or even sumo squats. they are quite a cardio activity once you get into the higher rep range. and i almost prefer body wieght ones to barbell ones as i reckon you are able to think more about how you are using the muscles and move better.

  7. #2997
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    from the strength training anatomy book i have the close squats work the quads more. i have a deep seated irrational fear of getting large quads so i always do feet shoulder width apart or even sumo squats. they are quite a cardio activity once you get into the higher rep range. and i almost prefer body wieght ones to barbell ones as i reckon you are able to think more about how you are using the muscles and move better.
    Yes, the close squats work the quads more. From what I have read in CC, greater strength doesn't mean greter mass necessarily. The example he uses are gymnasts... they don't have huge legs but they are massively strong, and most of what they do are body weight exercises. I could handle looking like a gymnast....

  8. #2998
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    i could handle looking like a gymnast too. but i still have unfounded irrational fears of scarey big legs. even if i dont have them. and i think body weight exercises are better for not becoming big as being big gets in the way of flexibility and mobility.

  9. #2999
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,318
    morning all - did anyone notice that we are up to page 300!!!!!!!!

    Okay youse fullas - I think I need to get me this CC book. Have you worked out any pirating options yet Seas ?????? LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  10. #3000
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    No pirating options yet but i am all ears. i prob cant post a thread asking anyone if they know of a pirate copy. they might get all precious and get me banned. i have starting strength and enter the kettlebell but no CC. i so need a real book so the pirate copy would only be to see if it was any good. G what are you doing up at 4:30 or thereabouts? i am all for getting up and doing stuff but it is still dark!!! you can get alot of the progressions on you-tube and that was what ended up getting me to do a chinup as i was thinking about doing the last progression which is the lower half of the exercise. which i did think was a bit silly as that is the hard bit. i did that and kept going and then nearly fell off the bar and further injured my ankle from shock. and then no one was looking so no one believed me so i had to try to do it again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •