Page 3 of 524 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 3

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    primal since november 2010, !
    hey Zoebird, nice to meet someone who has been following eating primal for more than just a few weeks. Hope to learn lots, I too have been reading some of your posts. Best wishes.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Hi all, I'm a Mum of 3 kids, aged 46 and come from Hamilton although I call Motueka home. (near Nelson). We all moved to Perth in February of this year as we found the lack of work opportunities a struggle. I'm missing green grass and my own freshly laid eggs from our lovely chooks.

I am about 15 kilos overweight and have been eating mostly primally for about a year. I am seeing a naturopath for my hypothyroidsm and have come to the conclusion that if I want to be well I have to give up gluten but also grains for good.

I have been 100% primal now for a couple of weeks, and have lost a couple of kilos. Grains make me hungry, grains make me overeat, grains cause a huge appetite, so why do I feel sometimes I have to have that crusty french bread roll with chicken, avocado and salad?

Nice to see the Kiwis on the forum - and we are so lucky with the quality of our fresh produce and grass fed meat. I haven't been able to buy a decent apple since I moved to Perth - there was a story on the news the other day that tested the apples in Coles Supermarkets. They were up to 18 months old!!

Bonus though - strawberries are now in season at $2 per punnet!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Rueben, Hi. I know exactly what you mean about the grains. I don't crave them anymore but that fresh bread sure smells good !!!!!
    Enjoy the Australian strawberry season, best fruit ever !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    there was a story on the news the other day that tested the apples in Coles Supermarkets. They were up to 18 months old!!
    Oh that is disgusting! Did anyone catch the item on telly last night (TVOne) about the young NZ'ers moving to Aus, and one of the reasons they quoted was because Australia was healthier?! WTF? Its only going to be as healthy as you make it! The add for the programme showed them walking through the fruit and vege isles in the supermarked saying 'look at all the vitamins and minerals we can get' (or something like that). I'll be betting there weren't any vitamins lefts in those 18 month old apples. Ewwww....I must see if I can find the programme on demand.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    We had a friend from new zealand staying with us a few weeks ago and she asked if she could have one of my "Kumuras". I just stared at her blankly until she explained that's what they call sweet potatoes in NZ.

Mmmmmm.....kumara! I think they are a slightly different variety, but yep, sweet potato. We also have Maori potato's which come in a variety of interesting shapes and colours (think very dark purple) - anyone know if they are primal or not? I've got a great variety that just self seed in my garden and I'm not willing to give them up in a hurry. We only get enough for several meals each year though.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Mmmmmm.....kumara! I think they are a slightly different variety, but yep, sweet potato. We also have Maori potato's which come in a variety of interesting shapes and colours (think very dark purple) - anyone know if they are primal or not? I've got a great variety that just self seed in my garden and I'm not willing to give them up in a hurry. We only get enough for several meals each year though.
    Lol, of course they're primal . Nothing manufactured or processed, no grains or seed oils in sight . . . and they taste fabulous with some primal mayo or butter!

We still have kumara in the garden from last season - now that I'm trying a ketosis experiment I'm not eating them.

I've been using some raw cacao nibs (bought off TradeMe) for my chocolate fix, but does anyone know if we can get Crio Bru here??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

I know kumara are alright, but generally potatoes are not considered Primal. But Maori potatoes (not Kumara) like these Select a Vegetable potatoes_maori vegetables.co.nz don't really fit into the normal potato category.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post

I've been using some raw cacao nibs (bought off TradeMe) for my chocolate fix, but does anyone know if we can get Crio Bru here??
    Jac, what is this stuff ? I have read a bit about it in yours and others posts and I totally have no idea what it is ?????
    Lizzie Lou didn't see lasts nights article, so can't comment but sounds dodgy !
    Hope all is well with our Gorgeous Kiwi girls....and boys....if there are any of you out there !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes are generally considered primal, but not ideal if you're trying to lose weight or are doing the auto-immune protocol. I think Mark did a post on them a while ago. I find that if I eat standard white potatoes I get joint problems, and also start down the slippery slope of wanting more and more . . . and then sugar. But Maori potatoes that haven't been bred/altered to be bigger, sweeter, smoother skinned etc don't have that effect on me at all.

Did you notice that some kumara are losing their weird shapes and becoming smoother?? Apparently that's about cross-pollination!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus