Page 291 of 532 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341391 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 5319

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 291

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ankle is still stuffed. i am still walking on it. i kinda had to today to escape as the exhubby as around and i was going a bit crazy. i was riding the hog too at the weekend and it is my gear change foot. it is better than it was but i wont be running any time this week i dont think. i have been needing to find that bottle of whisky to declutter but it has eluded me so far. i did smoke 3 tailor mades on friday night but it was stress. very nasty indeed. so much so they tasted good and i hate taileys!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    weirdest expeirence in moving to NZ was everyone just giving me a shrug when I complained that there were mice in the house. Landlords' advice: get a cat. Seriously?

So, we filled the holes ourselves -- those we could -- one is *in* the front door of all things, and I can't replace the door no matter how much I want to, even though I know the landlady has to pay for any improvements to her property that we make, by law.

And as such, that's how they come in -- jaunty party hats and all!

So, all of the trash is in impenetrable bins, food is stowed safely away, and basically there is nothing for them to eat. Why they keep coming in and looking is beyond me.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    thanx for the welcome back troups..................... Fantastic time way down in the bowels of the west coast.....
    They have also been affected by the drought as have many areas of NZ - so the rivers were running very low. However this makes for great fun - so all the testosterone welding males in the group portrayed !!!!!!!
    A wee bit of back ground about Jetboats.
    Ours is a Rapid runner, and sadly a two stroke - I say sadly because instead of it sounding like our last one which had a 450 chev in it - its sounds more like a sewing machine !!!!!!!! HOWEVER having said that we get into many more nooks and crannies that our jetboat family don't.
    When we are up on the plane in our boat we draw about 3-4" of water so we can go over some very shallow spots, and because our boat is only about 700kgs it is very light and manoeverable.
    The other thing that we had in out favour was DH. Way WAY back in the day - DH was the navigator on one of our top NZ jetboats. He can read a river like a pro, so even thou we had middle DD with us, and she did most of the driving, DH would point her in the right direction. Our boat travels along nicely at 50km/hour. This doesn't seem fast but I can tell you when you are hurtling down the river on a sunday afternoon (I can feel a song coming on).................. DH is a handy wee thing to have sitting either in the pilots seat - or co-pilots !!!!!!
    As an aside 30years ago when DH was navigating in racing boats - top speed was 120kms on the river................ today our top boyz are travelling at 220km !!!!!!!! scarey stuff

So our only issue was yesterday when we did the Maori lakes. These aren't really lakes at all but a series of channels that go for miles, tight turning backwards and forwards. They are full of weed and hazzards etc......... and yes we sucked up some weed.............................. Luckily after a fair bit of paddling, an expedition or two under the boat to pull out the weed, and many failed attempts to get the boat going again - we managed to get back on the plane, over a few stones, etc etc, and back to the trailers. It is always a good day boating when you make it back to the trailers !!!!!!!
    I have arrived home with sandfly bites everywhere, a laundry full of wet clothes, and I bought me a Thar skin - beautiful !!!!!

.............. so how was your weekend ??????????????
    I missed you all - terribly !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 04-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

sounds like you had awesome fun G. that good bye sandfly stuff worked on the sand flies in the west coast when we went last. much to my surprise. you do need to keep applying it as it is essential oils so it evapourates. i got to go out on a fishing boat over one of the nasty local bars. and i mean sand bar not whisky bar!!! which was the sum total of my excitement on a boat. there were a few too many dramas and the exhubby hanging around being annoying. pretty standard easter weekend LOL going to the hair dresser today and doing a bit of shopping for horse food and looking forward to silence tomorrow when the kids go back to school. how big a thar skins? i have a thar skull one of the men left in my letterbox one day. i reckon it would taste nice too. sorta like wild goat maybe.

Hiya Seas - I will measure the skin when I find a tape. Its really lovely and will go well with my other skins - bullock, possum rug made out of 32 skins, wildebeast, and I have a wall hanging that is made out of little squares - looks amazing........... so I have myself a wee collection !!!!!!!!

The whole way down the west coast we listened to DDs music - goodness gracious me !!!!!!!!! she has an eclectic and interesting arrangement of songs. Most of it was Country and Western, with the feature being Convoy !!!!!! I love that song
    and then lonely planet featured, which got DH smiling............. you know those songs.......... jizz in my pants etc.....

so I need a PM to hear all about your weekend adventures !!!!!!!

...small steps....

oh god i hate country music!!! i have always wanted a possum skin quilt but when i did have enough money, i didnt get one. it would take forever and cost almost as much to tan your own skins and make one i reckon. i have a couple of cow hides i use as rugs. one is black and one is brindle. they are nice and hard wearing. i do love a good animal hide myself.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gwamma, welcome back! Sounds like you had whole bunches of fun. But I think you're probably the kind of person that brings fun wherever she goes.

Sea, sorry to hear your ankle is still giving you problems. And I agree, for the most part C&W music is bubblegum for the brain. Two exceptions for me: Willie Nelson (sexiest 6-time married geezer on the planet with the voice of a seducer) and Johnny Cash (only some stuff).

Easter weekend quiet and uneventful. I slept in so late on Sunday that I would have had to rush around to get ready for the parade, so I just blew it off 'til next year. One thing about N'Orleans is that if you miss one parade, there's probably another scheduled in a few months.

Here's something I've never really experienced before with a local business. I live in a nice mixed interesting area. Three to six blocks in one direction and rents/housing doubles to triples. Six to 10 blocks in the other direction and the neighborhood gets sketchy and rents are cheap, but it's dangerous to walk around too late at night.

Anyway, a half block away from me is a corner store. A potential freakin' gold mine. Freezers, refrigerators, a place to cook things, full deli, and then the shelves for canned and package goods. Since this area is about 4:1 multi-unit to single unit dwellings, this store really could make someone a shit load of money (pardon my French). When I first moved here (coming on two years ago), it wasn't bad. Good sandwiches, shelves always packed, etc.

Enter the demon addiction. Seems like the owner has a bad drug habit. It got really bad after his father died (which I can sympathize with since it took me about two years to swim my way out from the bottom of the bottle after my mother died). This store is just sad now. He has screwed this store up so badly. It's been cash-on-delivery for over a year and a half (very tough to run this kind of store with not even a 15 day line of credit). And I just learned that he didn't pay his employees this week. I keep crossing my fingers that he'll get out of trouble, but I think the only thing that will save him is to throw his ass into rehab and let his brother take over for awhile. Brother has an almost identical store about 20 blocks away that is doing just fine.

There's a lesson in vigilance in there somewhere.

The good news. Costco has posted jobs here in the city. I don't think NZ has a Costco. It's a membership warehouse type store. For years, only having seen Sam's Club (Sam Walton/Walmart mentality), I swore I'd never pay for a membership for the privilege of buying stuff. Then I saw Costco, and the savings are so warranted, that even living here, I kept my membership so I could order from costco.com. At worst, I break even; mostly I save money. Anyway, they are opening a new facility here in August. I've been checking the website every Monday and today I saw jobs posted. I'm so psyched. I just want a little part time retirement type job. It's a good company; it treats its employees like people; quality products, etc. So I've hunted down my resume, and I'll spend tomorrow applying for any job for which I qualify.

Yikes - long post. Gabby guts. See what happens when you go away, Gwamma?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Two exceptions for me: Willie Nelson (sexiest 6-time married geezer on the planet with the voice of a seducer) and Johnny Cash (only some stuff).
    i dont count them as country but ITA. I love some of the covers Johnny Cash did such as hurt and one. he also did a version of personal jesus.

addiction demons are everywhere.

J - good luck for the job................. if you would like a hand with your CV - best not to ask me !!!!!!! LOL
    I did have a rather yabbery post a couple back too J - so thats okay !!!!!!
    Just been for a walk to pick up the dog from the kennels, get the mail and then check the horses. All in all - 40 minutes.
    Only 6 weeks before we head to Canada............. exciting !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Hi JoanieL, nope we don't have anything like costco here in NZ, not that I know about anyway. There are a couple of large commercial/bulk buy retailers that you can get membership with, but you have to be a commercial retailer yourself. One of my friends has a Toops card through her mother who runs a resthome and we've been known to bulk buy flour and butter with that. More hassle than its worth though really. I do like the idea though.

Eeep, I am not a country music fan. My mother is a massive musical addict also so thats out for me too (although I do know all the words to most popular musicals).

Sigh....just had my first argument for the week at work. Stoopid man thinks theres nothing wrong with sticking screws in the walls (the newly painted walls I might add) of our community centre. All I ask is that they get the maintenance man to do it but nooooooooo we are being soooooooooo over the top!!!!! *stomps off in a strop*