Page 289 of 533 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 5326

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 289

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    when i was rousing before xmas thankfully i had one of those squeedgy broom things and we just swept the maggoty dags off down the chute. there werent very many of them. maybe 3 sheep max out of the 600 odd we did. i did have a very nasty maggot incident last week. my kitchen had been smelling funky and i was wondering. as you do. i had to get something out from the pantry floor and i noticed maggots crawling around. i managed not to panic and shreik and run around. being ya know. tough n all LOL anyways the dratted cat had dragged a rabbit in and stashed it behind my bullet safe which is hidden so i couldnt see it. maggots everywhere. she is a menace some days. and you dont always think to go look in every obscure corner just in case. it is also the reason i keep my bedroom door closed as the last thing i need is that under my bed.

i am out of whisky as it all got drunk and not by me. i am toying with buying a new bottle or some more tobacco. the power bill, the new tyre on my car or the personal trainer or the hair dresser will prob win!

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i had to get something out from the pantry floor and i noticed maggots crawling around. i managed not to panic and shreik and run around. being ya know. tough n all LOL anyways the dratted cat had dragged a rabbit in and stashed it behind my bullet safe which is hidden so i couldnt see it. maggots everywhere.
    Dear god Seas, that is the most revolting story yet! I swear to you I just did a wee dry retch reading your description.

One more day then 5 off. Hope it goes fast....

yes i tried not to be too horrified but what can you do? the cat does an awesome job of rodent control and at least it was dead. on the grand scale of things, i prefer dead rodents and maggots on the floor to rodent droppings all thru my food in my cupboards. i cant lock her outside the house as she is a domestic cat. and the other smaller rodents are in the house so she needs to get them. i am now aware how low she can stoop with stashing her prey so i know another spot to look! currently at least 3 times a day. just in case LOL

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Good morning all.

Maggots. *shudder* I worked for an Emergency Veterinary clinic in my younger days, and when an owner would come in saying, "my (long haired) dog smells funny," we always knew what we'd find. Shave - find old wound festering - maggots. Oh how I wish all dog owners would understand that since long haired dogs can't get naked, you have to run your hands over them, brush them and take notice of any flinching, etc. sigh.

Sea, I think I'd be that "crazy cat lady" if I lived in proximity to as many rodents as you do. When I was a girl, my cat used to bring her catches to my bedroom window. Not wanting to discourage her, I'd always do the "Good girl! Now go eat your mouse/bunny/whatever over there" thing. She was ten times the hunter as the male - the only thing he hunted for was food and belly rubs. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

J it is just certain times of the year we get an influx. autumn when the seed heads are all on the grass in the bush block next door for example. it is also the price you pay for living in the boonies and not having a brand new house. i think mice can fit thru a 10mm gap anyways.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I live a half block away from a small grocery store. All grocery stores have rats. One of the men that used to live in the front of the building told me that in the early morning, he'd watch the rats scurry across the phone lines away from the store. Yuk. I had a problem the first year I was here - winter and the mice were looking for food, no doubt. I screamed until the landlord fixed some of the holes. This last winter (knock on wood) I didn't have any.

Whenever I had to remove one of the spring traps with a dead mouse, I half looked like a HazMat worker. I'd put my boots on and don rubber gloves, grab it with two plastic grocery bags, hold it at arm's length, and take it to the dumpster. LOL - I really hate them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

2 funny. i used to catch them in the spring trap and feed them to the cat while they were still wriggling. the rodents in town are prob far nastier from a germ pov than our country ones. ours are free range and grass fed LOL and there are things in life far nastier than a dead rodent! full moon here this morning. it is just going down over our rather famous iconic hill with a pink sky with a few long wisps of cloud over it. very decorative.

my mission today is going to the gym. and i need to go shopping and work out what flours to get to make the kids some GF hot cross buns. they have written easter eggs on the list too LOL

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    morning girls - I actually don't mind live mice. More than happy to catch a live wild mouse and get bitten etc......., but I can't deal with the dead ones in the trap................ stooopid Gwamma. Wild rats are just nasty !!!!!!! but if I can catch them by the tail - I am fine with that............ however what does one do when one has a wild rat caught by the tail ????????? exactly - throw it outside - cos I can-not kill the damned thing !!!!!!!!
    Stress city here this am.................. so I have best get on
    hippy hoppy happy easter to you all...................... I look forward to catching up next week
    all my love.....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee xxxxxx
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    And happy easter to you too Gwamma - and everyone else.

Just discovered that despite the school being off on Tuesday and my wall planner stating that Tuesday is a public holiday, it is infact not a day off for me. Stink! I was thinking I had 5 whole days off, but 4 just feels a little tight and now I have to find childcare for DS on Tuesday. Thankfully DD's daycare is still open for business. Best go call Granny I think.

Off to lunch with my residents in about 10 mins. Big Jims Garden Cafe - I tell you it glamourous this job!

OMG I DID A CHINUP!!!!!!!!!!! sorry calming down. i nearly died as i wasnt expecting to be able to do it. technically it is a reverse chinup due to the grip. but YAY!!!!!!!!! it could have something to do with the fact i had a seriously bad day yesterday as i was so peeved about not being able to walk properly that i did the 6k block twice and disappeared into the pub for some ouzo and chips. since i had the kids and had to drive i had to remove myself from the pub in a timely fashion so i went home and ate honey chocolate fudge instead of dinner. you boil the honey to fudge it, throw in a spoon of sour cream and a few squares of dark choc when it is done. so yeah, major hummingbird day yesterday. and today, i do a reverse chin up. makes you wonder.

happy easter everyone too. i have to work tuesday LL and get my hair done all with the crew in full attendance. plan A is to send them to the library and give them my eftpos card and send them to starbucks to be grown up.

and G what are you thinking of throwing the live rat out? it got in somehow so you just have to man up and snuff it or get yourself a rodent snuffer like a decent feline.