Page 286 of 535 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 5341

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 286

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Yum! Sadly, since going "no factory meat," chicken will probably be a once or twice a month thing. It's really all mental. A factory chicken on sale can be less than a dollar a pound. Free wheeling, running around chickens who got to live without getting their beaks cut off - between five and seven dollars a pound. Once I get over that, I'm sure I'll add a weekly chicken back into my life. It's a matter of reminding myself that with factory chicken, I throw away the skin and bones and with pastured, I can use everything. And now: because I want to put brie sauce over chicken breasts!

I've never tried GF pasta, and since I allow myself the occasional wheat treat, I eat a pasta called Fiber Gourmet. I don't know how they do it, but it's lower calories (about 33%). The only difference I really notice is cooking time. I allow myself a 3 oz portion when I eat it. I haven't tried to make cauliflower rice yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

Oh, my manners! Good morning everyone! I'm guessing most of you are still asleep since it's about 4am your time tomorrow. LOL. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Sunny and 50F (10degC). After a couple of rainy/cloudy days, it's good to see some sunshine, even for a lazy old layabout like me.
    I'm not sure where in the US you are, but you might want to look up a pasture farmer that does their own meat birds. I know a fella that sells his for @ $2 a lb........

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Morning J! we hardly ever have chicken too for the same reason. and farmed pork. i just cant bring myself to buy either. cauliflower rice is so so. tastes like grated cauliflower. i've never liked rice either so i usually dont bother with making a rice sub for things. instead i will do a stack of steamed veges and have them with whatever it is. or go without.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    good morning all
    J you are not a lazy old whatever - I get that award...................... and you aint knocking me off my pedistal !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Doc what do you do with your chickens ?????? or do they all have names ??????
    Seas the horse was 16 hands, and is an x galloper. I haven't riden much over the years but it had big loping strides. Absolutely lovely lad. DD had bought it for her BF for christmas, but now that they have broken up - he don't want it !!!!!!
    So I am allowed to ride it and call it anything that I want....................... so you lot - names please

Gwamma did not sleep well last night.VERY SORE AND WEARY. As well as horse riding Gwamma went for an up hill walk AND did some skipping. I used to be able to do 100 double skips in a row - yesterday I did 1 !!!!!

...........path.....etttt.....tic.................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Doc, I've asked around, and it's really a chore. There is a very good farmers' market here, but honesttogod, it's only open on Saturday from 9am to noon. Really? On Saturday, I'm lucky if I've run a brush through my hair by noon. *chuckle* Plus, being in a city, there's no free parking. Anyway, I'll keep plugging along until I find a reasonable source. I actually like a weekly chicken. It's sort of comforting.

Sea, that makes me sad. I thought if I ever got it together to visit NZ, I'd have access to all this fresh, happy meat/bird/etc.

Gwamma, Mr. Ed for the horse. If that reference is only American, I apologize. Here's a sample:

"Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Sea, that makes me sad. I thought if I ever got it together to visit NZ, I'd have access to all this fresh, happy meat/bird/etc.
    we do. but all the conventional poultry and pork is caged. free range is more expensive.

i cant skip either atm as my ankle is still swollen and looks like a kankle. it gets marginally better each day but i am getting incredibly annoyed with it and getting very irritated with having to limp everywhere.

does the horse have a name already G? you arent supposed to change horses' names. what does it look like?

yep - loved Mr Ed - best damned talking horse I have EVER come across...............................I have never seen another one like him!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    we do. but all the conventional poultry and pork is caged. free range is more expensive.

i cant skip either atm as my ankle is still swollen and looks like a kankle. it gets marginally better each day but i am getting incredibly annoyed with it and getting very irritated with having to limp everywhere.
    Stop limping anywhere seas! Get off that damn foot and rest it OK? It will do you more good than harm.

I am guilty of buying factory farmed chicken too as I just can't get my head around the cost of free range, although I always buy free range eggs. Our farmers market is itty bitty and for 6 months of the year you can't even get eggs there, no chicken at all but they do have free range, nitrate free bacon every week. Yum! I wonder if our factory farming practices are any better than in the US (or worse possibly)?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Doc what do you do with your chickens ?????? or do they all have names ??????
    Meat birds I eat... roasted, boiled, fried, baked... just about any way you can cook em. Do I name them? yup...the first year I raised them my granddaughter named them.. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Chicken nuggets etc etc etc. She has the right idea!

The layers, I let them lay.... at least for 3-4 years...after that the eggs get too big and they give fewer eggs every year so it costs more to keep them. I also loose a few to predators every now and again... in fact lost one last week A big purty buff Orpington.... I get a new group of 50 layers every year.

LL I agree with you on the "Seas get off that ankle thing" - are you listening SEAS!!!!!!
    Doc - how long have you had your brood ????

Gwamma is feeling decidedly off today. I think that when I mowed over that barkers nest - it went piffffftttt, and I think I breathed some in............ so today my throat is mighty sore and I am picking it was the dried up barkers nest ??????

...small steps....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    LL I agree with you on the "Seas get off that ankle thing" - are you listening SEAS!!!!!!
    Doc - how long have you had your brood ????

Gwamma is feeling decidedly off today. I think that when I mowed over that barkers nest - it went piffffftttt, and I think I breathed some in............ so today my throat is mighty sore and I am picking it was the dried up barkers nest ??????
    I have about 25 birds that are 3 years old, 25 that are 2 years old and 30 that are 1 year old

soak that throat with a little whiskey from Sea's jar, some honey and a splash of lemon(cello).... It may not cure the sore throaat, but it will make it so you don't care you feel bad....
    Last edited by ssn679doc; 03-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.