Page 254 of 534 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 5331

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 254

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jdnz View Post
    I feel so alert and alive compared to what I did before. I have lost a little bit of weight, still a lot more to lose. However, I have very quickly come to realise this is not just about the weight but the entire lifestyle.
    Welcome JD, thanks for sharing your story. What a scary experience. I'm so glad you have found primal and it's helping you so much. I totally agree this is not just about the weight management. That's what many of us come looking for, and then find so much more. All the best.

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    there is nothing like feeling alive and alert, you must feel so happy that you have a way now. and yeah, ITA, it is not just about weight management. it is about being able to live your life and enjoy it. on that subject, a weekend swimming across seas and climbing mountains. well a minor snorkel in a bay and a climb up a 408m mountain. the way down is the most fun as it is almost vertical so real good on the core and the ankles. low impact if you dont trip over LOL there is some unreal bush there too which is low growing as it is so exposed and as it has been grazed for 150+ yrs, it is mainly horopito so it is this speckled peppery red and all twisty. very very pretty.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the welcome gwamma!

I had always been on the stocky-side of normal but never really hugely overweight.

Last year I had a freak out-of-the blue allergic reaction to Ibuprofen which lead to acute kidney failure and a month in hospital. Fortunately, my kidney function has improved somewhat - classified as having early stage 4 chronic kidney disease but still not ideal at all! I was put onto a renal specific-diet by my nephrologist and the dietitian. It mainly comprised of very high carb, low fat and low protein, my weight skyrocketed by 24kg in about 4 months - simply horrifying!

I had awful migranes almost on a daily basis and my fasting blood sugar went from 4.6 up to 11.3, very scary for a 22y/o. I went in search of different diets that may help that would fit in with my renal requirements. I went Atkins style low carb and lost weight but still had migranes and felt that all the processed food was not good for me and then I came across the Primal Blueprint.

What a life-changer to say the least; I feel so alert and alive compared to what I did before. I have lost a little bit of weight, still a lot more to lose. However, I have very quickly come to realise this is not just about the weight but the entire lifestyle. I can't wait to continue on this journey, I really feel like I have a new lease on life!
    Oh sweet, I'm an ex renal nurse and I've been *itching* to see what would happen to CKD on Primal! Go on, tell us your bloods?

And welcome to our wee kiwi thread.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    welcome, jd.

i'm in wellington, too. I'm so glad that you're feeling better!

----

One of my favorite things about primal is not having any symptoms of PMS. I woke up last night because I'd started menses -- literaly *just as* I was starting it. Got the old diva cup in and went back to bed. slept great.

Woke up this morning -- no bloating, no excess water weight, no cramps, nothing. I mean, I never really had difficult periods before but now I *seriously* do not have difficult periods. They are so . . . mundane and easy now!

I do feel a bit of low energy, but otherwise. . . nothing. It could be from waking up in the middle of th enight. And also staying up late to watch Hunger Games, which was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    ----

One of my favorite things about primal is not having any symptoms of PMS. I woke up last night because I'd started menses -- literaly *just as* I was starting it. Got the old diva cup in and went back to bed. slept great.

Woke up this morning -- no bloating, no excess water weight, no cramps, nothing. I mean, I never really had difficult periods before but now I *seriously* do not have difficult periods. They are so . . . mundane and easy now!
    So envious! Not so lucky here unfortunately, went to bed last night thinking ouch my boobs hurt (which often happens around ov) then woke this morning at 6am with terrible cramps feeling totally rubbish. I think I'm about a week early which is even more unfair! I've also been watching hungry for change this morning, which reminded me that I should have clear skin - well try telling my zits that! I guess what I'm trying to say is that Primal won't fix everything for everyone, but I'd still rather be primal than anything else.

jdnz is offline Junior Member
    Hi Lizzylou!

The following values were done 15 days after I began my primal journey.

I have only just moved to welly and seen the doc once but my latest eGFR was 27 (my last test prior to beginning primal was 26) Serum Creatinine was 213, Sodium 139 (down from 144), Potassium 4.2 (down from 4.8) Phosphorus 4.9 (up from 4.4).

Dr wants me to have another 24hr clearance test which should happen shortly - I will be interested in the results of that one.

For me the hardest thing to eliminate from my diet was dairy. I am not 100% dairy free I do have the occasional bit of cream or low sodium cheese for a treat. Also, I really miss pumpkin, kumara and spinach! I am sticking to capsicum, cauli, broccoli, onion, carrots as my basic veges; this has helped to keep my potassium in the normal range.

Protein is the other big issue, thus far I have been eating a lot more eggs instead of meat but my phosphorus levels have increased. I found this when I first started researching primal and found it a really good starting point: Chronic Kidney Disease Diet — Paleo Family Doc

My dietitian was not happy with me to say the least when I went primal but the difference in how I feel is worth it, even if it is going quite a bit of trial and error!

When I first saw mum she was shocked at how less puffy my face looked, so I take that as a good sign!

Thanks for that link jdnz, that is really interesting. I'm not surprised that your dietician balked at paleo! It really does defy all convention in the CKD world, but interesting that link even tried to attempt it. However she should be delighted that you are taking such a proactive step, most renal patients don't do squat and only have themselves to blame for ending up on dialysis. I'm not kidding when I tell you probably 90% of them got themselves into that dialysis chair! It should be doable if you keep your eye on those protein levels, which might prove to be a very difficult task. I'm imagining lots of vege filled meals with small portions of meat - like stir fry which would be perfect, but obviously a bit dull 3 meals a day! I'll keep my eye out for suitable meals for you.

I wonder where coconut flour fits in? The nutritional panel on my packet doesn't have potassium......

jdnz is offline Junior Member
    I checked the coconut flour and it has no potassium! I have made a couple of bread / loafs with it since I have been on primal to bulk up the calories when I have my vege soup.

I usually have a coffee with tbsp coconut cream for breakfast, eggs at lunch usually with salad and a small amount of protein at dinner with more veges. I am also using cooking everything in coconut oil.

Everyone has been pretty optimistic about my long-term health if I maintain a healthy diet etc as the damage was done from the acute glomerulonephritis should not worsen. I was also told that if I don't take care and be proactive I will end up on dialysis and waiting for a kidney... definitely enough to scare me into staying healthy!

Everyone has been pretty optimistic about my long-term health if I maintain a healthy diet etc as the damage was done from the acute glomerulonephritis should not worsen. I was also told that if I don't take care and be proactive I will end up on dialysis and waiting for a kidney... definitely enough to scare me into staying healthy!
    That is great news. I don't need to tell you that an eGFR of 27 ain't flash, but if there is hope to improve it then you'll be sweet (and then maybe you can ditch the CKD diet too?). I wish more people were 'scared into staying healthy', but so many tend to be self destructive.

Good news about coconut too. That really does open up lots more options for you.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    good morning all - well DHs cousin who is high up in our NZ Police has arrived and settled into his little corner of the cave.
    The wee Indonesian 'flatmate' is really really sweet. The old saying - its a small world comes to mind because her brother (Dentist) knows one of my brothers - sort of !!!!!!!
    These people are from Indonesia for goodness sake..................

............ and today I am off to Timaru to 'be there' for my DD and her wee fella. he was meant to have a wee op last friday, but due to power cuts etc.... they were sent home - so today is the day !!!!!!!
    He was born with a wee deformed ear, and also one side of his face is just slightly different. You would never know about the face unless it was pointed out, but his ear looks like a cauliflour ear - you know tha ones our rugby boys get after years in the scrum !!!!!
    anyhoo todays op is a tongue tie that was never picked up. He breastfed like a trouper and I believe that is often when it is picked up because they cannot suck very well ????? But this wasn't picked up because he was feeding fine. Its a wee bit more than a cut apparently. The Surgeon thinks about 20 minutes under the knife - so should be an interesting day.
    I am really just a support, but this particular daughter doesn't cope well with blood and guts etc.... so Gwamma is in !!!!!
    I could have opted to look after the big grand baby - but his Dad has a day off the farm - so done !!!!!!

so have the bestest day everyone - NO naughty nonsense - and if any of you do decide to push some huge boundaries......... just wait till Gwamma get home..................... I will sort you lot out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bye bye bye bye bye bye