Page 24 of 535 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124524 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 24

Kiwichick is offline Junior Member
    Just reading the above comments about husbands and Primal - my husband does a "loose" version of Primal, still eats wheetbix and has cakes when we are out for coffee, but has to eat what i cook at home!
    My sister and her husband are now Primal and are losing weight, i think its going to catch on!
    Does anyone make Kombucha or Kefir?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    My husband refuses to do primal, he thinks I'm a freak and following some fad
    funny tho that they still expect you to look like you do primal lol one thing i do think the media has done is give people a total false view of appearance vs lifestyle.

whole 30 is just hard core paleo for 30 days. i think the idea is you have a milestone and it is only for that amount of time. google whole 30 and you should find it. from my pov, it is no different to what i am doing already except the no dairy is a challenge and i dont get to cheat at all.

dilmah do a lemon grass and lemon green tea which isnt too bad but it's not a cup of coffee. i am also finding coconut cream in my coffee a bit of a mission. the first cup is ok in the morning but then the rest arent so i find i am drinking more coffee as i am not feeling like i have had a cup of coffee. i did really want to see how i feel dairy free so i am dithering about this. i need to calculate how much ghee i need to make a cup of BP coffee equivalent to how much cream i used to have. i do feel ghee is cheating so meh. i will see.

the thought of both cereal and vogels is quite daunting. thankfully i never did like sliced bread of any kind and only really porridge. now if we lived in europe and i had to deal with not having proper french bread there could be tears lol

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    hello to all - sorry I have been a little preoccupied, but welcome to all the newbies. Its great to have you on board.
    Seaweed I am willing to do 30 days without dairy, but not sure if I can drop the wine ????? but am willing to give it a go. I also drink coffee, but if that makes a difference we could go 30 without coffee and cream ??!!!! and leave the red for another time - or only have wine on a night that ends in DAY ? LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Does anyone make Kombucha or Kefir?
    in reply to this. i used to make kombucha back in the day but i find it like a fizzy drink. water kefir is the same. i have never liked fizzy so i didnt really enjoy it and i worried i was givng my kids a fizzy habit. i can so see how it would fit in if you are one of those people who like coke and drink it regularly. kefir i could never keep up with making. i dont like yoghurt on its own. i dont do cereal and i found it too sour to cook with, plus once you heat it up there is no point, so i dont bother. i prob should just drink it but i prefer coffee, just dont tell anyone lol

Seaweed I am willing to do 30 days without dairy, but not sure if I can drop the wine ????? but am willing to give it a go. I also drink coffee, but if that makes a difference we could go 30 without coffee and cream ??!!!! and leave the red for another time - or only have wine on a night that ends in DAY ? LOL
    lmao maybe i can have a whisky at night too. i can cope without all other dairy other than the coffee thing. i am going to experiment with the next cup and a tsp of ghee or maybe 2. i need to work it out. i dodged the hail of bullets yesterday and had 2 flat whites and 2 long blacks with cream and a handful of brazil nuts and felt oh so queasy lol i do put that down to having to sit on my ass for over 2 hrs in chipmunks tho. i do have to say, if you can dodge the junk food there for kids, it is a good high intensity work out. my youngest went absolute beetroot red from all the running around. i am unfortunately over 12 so i wasnt allowed to join in lol thinking about starting a journal thread for my whole 30.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Seaweed - I can't stand chipmunks! I try to avoid it like the plague, ours is so over crowded and the cafe is just nasty, and my little girl is only 3yrs old and not very confident physically so I'd have to get into the playground with her. No thanks! Yep, a trip to chipmunks would make me queasy too.

I've not made keffir or kombucha, but have tried a friends. I don't do sugary drinks at all (my dad was a dentist - what can I say...) and even though there is only a small amount added to these for fermentation and it is supposedly 'pre-digested' I still can't quite bring myself over to it. My kids have a love for soda water though, a wee trick we picked up in Italy when my son was small. We found that eating in restuarants in Italy the standard was a caraffe of red wine and a bottle of sparkling water on the table. So now we have a soda stream machine which we use without any syrup at all.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Dh and I were snappy at each other this morning (over sylvia plath of all things -- mostly, he wasn't paying attention to what I was saying) due to the fasting. It might take a bit to get used to getting enough food in during the window, and in particular, enough fat. We eat until we are stuffed, but it's 10:15 now and I'm getting the old hunger signals. And we were cranky with each other. DS was like "what are you upset about?" lol

Essentially, I was sharing with DH a story that my friend posted from her Smith Uni alumnae magazine which described a special friendship between "marty" (marcia) and sylvia plath. I told DH "Oh, I read this interesting article about Sylvia Plath." And I explain how we are uncertain about her overall sexuality, but she had a special relationship with a friend at Smith, whom she notes in many poems and books." And DH goes "our friend Sylvia? she's bi?" And I'm like "Sylvia PLATH!" literally, it was, like, two seconds before he asked about our friend slyvia. I was mad because he wasnt' paying attention. He's weird like that. And he even likes Sylvia Plath. That's why I thought to share it with him. DUH. Men sometimes.

Anyway, he freaked out and was like "why do you ahve to be mean like that?!" and I wasn't mean, I was like exasperated. It's about the 5th or 6th time that morning that he asks me a question, then I start to answer, and he doesn't hear it or he asks me to repeat myself or whatever. It's like DUDE.

And it's not like it's that hard to stay focused anyway. But, yeah, so there is an adjustment period.

In terms of doing Whole30s, my friends often just do a one thing at a time process. Ie, if you want to let go of dairy, just do 30 days without dairy and see how it goes. Then, you might want to move on to wine.

I don't get people's preoccupation with wine, honestly. But then, I don't drink any alcohol and never have, so I really don't get any of it. LOL

i do like sparkling mineral water but it is a hot day sort of a drink. most of my non caffeine liquid consumption is either exercise based or heat relevant. first time i have been to chipmunks. i had no control over the destination so had to go. i did try to bunk out to elite fitness which is just down the road to see how much it would cost to hire a flash treadmill but they were shut.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I looked into a treadmill last year at elite - I think they have a sale on just now? I decided it was a preferable option to a gym, because with the kids it would be impossible for me to get to the gym most of the time. But I think it was about $120 a month for a treadmill suitable for running on (they have lots that only do walking that are much cheaper), which is quite a bit more than a gym membership. You have to take the treadmill for a minimum of 3 months, but after that you can just send it back at any time which is better than most gym memberships. Anyway I procrastinated so much that it never happened.

Zoebird- men just don't listen do they? Then they act like it was all your fault (because they didn't listen). The other night I asked my husband to help our son with his reading homework while I was cooking tea. He left it until the last possible moment, Angus started whining and trying to get out of it, and my husband turns to me and says 'look what you've done now'! Like it was MY problem..........

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i dont think there is any point walking on a treadmill unless you really have severe health issues which make it beneficial. my plan had been to hire a flash treadmill for the summer holidays. i can go to the gym once a week if i go see the personal trainer and bring the kids and i am getting a copy of convict conditioning but i so want to make sure i never ever get that 6 weeks of having my feet nailed to the floor again. i also would be able to get that space once a day exercising if i could go for a swift run in the mornings and that is quite priceless during the school hols!

i am gonna be caffeined off my face today. i have run out of decaff and am just making cup#3 to experiment with ghee. you see there are some downsides to giving up dairy lol