Page 224 of 532 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 5319

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 224

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    LOL well i would never wear a yellow bathing suit so i am totally safe from sharks now! depends on what sorta beef it is. fillet is about $39/kg whereas down the other end of the spectrum real cheap steak can be as little as $12/kg or maybe even $9/kg but you are talking cross cut blade bulk. post the recipe if you can remember it or describe it if it has sea urchin in. i make sea urchin mousse from a US recipe. i still much prefer zucchini noodles with scrambled egg and kina.

OMG i just found this Great White Shark Pictures - National Geographic freaky or what!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That one with the open mouth is like something out of Jaws. lol My grandmother was so repulsed by sharks that she wouldn't even eat them. And I don't come from a family of fussy eaters by a long shot.

They faked me out - the secret ingredient was shrimp. One dish had urchin roe and apparently it was a fail as I've never seen all three judges tell Batali that they hated one of his dishes! I thought a shrimp and uni "parfait" would be luscious, but apparently not. Not sure if you get the original Iron Chef or the American version by you all. I love to watch the chefs take one ingredient and make five dishes each out of it.

Sea, I've never had croc, and alligator is a little bland, but it's a good accompaniment to a spicy sausage in a broth or sauce over rice - again, down here, Cajun influence. Sorta French, but influenced by what foods they could find in the swamps and then spiced up a little.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

again, down here, Cajun influence. Sorta French, but influenced by what foods they could find in the swamps and then spiced up a little.
    which is also why i try to eat local foods not coz i am some up myself foodie LOL we would be doing rabbit gumbo with spicy wild pork or venison sausage. in fact we do do rabbit gumbo and butter rabbit but the kids dont know which i guess is as bad as the horse debarcle in europe. shrimp and prawn are interesting to cook with. i do tend to keep them where they are not overcooked and have their own obvious flavour. i wouldnt combine prawns and kina. i wouldnt combine anything with kina unless i had someone drop me off 50 of them and i got bored and had room to experiment.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    wow Seas those Sharks are absolutely awesome.
    and Joanie - I have never heard of Iron chef ?????
    I don't watch much TV but love beauty and the geek !!!! Its an aussi show. I am really over all the cooking shows. They are on over here all the time.
    anyway I have just woken up from a nana nap !!!!!!! Sad really. These Tongan boyz are tiring me out !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sea, I know where you're coming from. There are some foods that I just want that food - no fancy stuff - because the food itself is just so perfect on it's own. Slurping oysters from a shell is an example. (Though I will often try roasted oysters because just about every seafood restaurant here has its own version and it's fun to see their take.) I can do shrimp just boiled with the heads on. Dipped in melted butter. And I like 'diablo' or 'diavolo' in a spicy marinara sauce. Dang, I'm so walking over to the market tomorrow for some seafood. You've got me lusting for some primal shell peeling food.

Gwamma, I'm pretty much down to two cooking shows. Iron Chef which is a very campy competition where two chefs are given a main ingredient and access to a fabulous pantry of amazing ingredients to create five dishes each where the main ingredient is the center of the dish. The other is Good Eats which is more instructional. Tells you why and how certain foods should be prepared a given way. It's done very tongue in cheek, even though it's very common sense. IOW neither show takes itself too seriously.

A nap? Those Tonga boys are tiring our Gwamma out. I never thought I'd see the day. lol
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

oysters are so expensive here that i have never brought them. i know where to find them and i usually just eat them raw. i think too coz i dont overly spice food. i got out of practise as exhubby used to yell alot about it and the kids dont like it, i tend to eat food plain. so raw oysters, straight pan fried steak, roasts, even funky sea food like kina and the like, i dont do too much to. things like kina and paua have a very subtle mild flavour so you do not need to over complicate it or you could pretty much have screamed spicy mushrooms instead of paua. or who knows what curried instead of kina.

what exactly are those tongan boys doing to tire you out we have to ask G?

Good morning all - well more and more of our pacific island boyz here today.
    DH is up country all day - so you do the math !!!!!!!!!!!

I think that it might end up being a computer day of huge proportions. My kitchen is covered in plastic from one end t'other - so won't be much cooked in there today.

I might have to survive on air and sunshine .............

...small steps....

smoked salmon, coffee and water G. or just plain raw steak!!! been to the gym. killed myself as usual. but 2 random people told me how good i am looking so that cheered me up. one was hot too. had to survive on air and sunshine till i got home about 30 mins ago.

Seas I admire your commitment. Can you buy commitment in a bottle ???? LOL

...small steps....