Page 21 of 536 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 21

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Seaweed - of course it is
    DUH !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Wow am I really ditzy or what. I replied to your post twice. I so need to eat some eggs and BAS !!!!!!!

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    first day of the school hols and i am already fading fast myself lol i always have to work mondays and tuesdays so we get stuck at home. i prob should be giving the kids the BAS and eggs!

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Its the daylight savings Seaweed. I feel shattered, its amazing what a difference an hour makes. My kids normally wake at 6am, so today's 7am start was a little better but it still throws you. Wonder how long it'll take the kids to start waking up at our 'new' 6am?

i am trying not to even consider that. i had to get up at 6:15 to start work before they got up and i am rinsed. i am ecoguiding this afternoon too so i have to deal with the general public and be presented, convincing and onto it lol

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say that the issues around IF/whole30 and the like have everything to do with whatever your specific goals are.

To understand, observe our history:

2000: Zoebird-- vegan; DH -- WAPF.

2007: Zoebird -- vegetarian; DH "dave diet" which was primal/paleo.

2008: baby! Zoebird -- vegetarian; DH "dave diet" with some grains.

2010: move to NZ! Zoebird -- vegetarian; DH -- a few more grains.

Nov 2010 -- DH having major health/gut issues, sees naturopath who removes grains, acupuncturist removes dairy. Zoebird looks up barefoot running, finds her way to paleo. TWo weeks later, family goes primal.

Primal was chosen because of the flexibility. DS still consumes dairy and we use butter (pretty sparingly, actually), and this gave a good community to learn stuff. I still used the 20% pretty hard in terms of occasionally having cookies, cakes, and ice cream.

I ahven't eaten dairy since going primal (other than butter and the occasional ice cream), so cheese and the like has no temptation for me. I don't drink milk or want yogurt or anything like that.

April 2011: DH started to heal his gut with a combination paleo-GAPS. Zoebird continues with primal. Zoebird begins to notice that she doesnt' eat breakfast until late, and due to schedule, doesn't eat dinner until late. Discovers it's an 8 hour eating window. Notices that she's naturally IFing.

Nov 2011: Zoebird notices that emotional eating has run amok. Continues to run amok but with more primal foods and fewer grains. Gains a bit of stress weight. Takes up roller derby. Sucks at it. DH continues GAPS/paleo.

April 2012: Zoebird goes under major work-related stress. Emotional eating under control, goes back to normal paleo eating, doing whole9 to reset. Continues to casually IF 16/8. Still has cookies, cakes, ice cream occasionally.

August 2012: Zoebird goes to australia. Most stressful month *ever* and eating was horrendous. Lots more grains than ever. Zoebird gains fat.

Sept 2012: coming down off of August, Zoebird notices she has gained fat.

Sept 30 2012: DH mentions that he's been researching IF (which I'd mentioned to him over a year ago), and that he wants to give it a try. He's been researching being both young and beautiful, and it looks like IF might play a good part in that *if* a person is getting enough calories. We also get Arthur DeVany information.

Oct 1 2012: DH and Zoebird decide to go forward with an IF/whole-30 protocol with a high-raw content in terms of veggies. Frozen (to be steamed) veggies will be utilized sparingly.

So far, so good. Of course, it's only day one. For dinner, DH is having a kumara with steak and BAS. I'm having BAS and steak. I have a new recipe for kale-cilantro chimichurri sauce. I can't wait to try it!

i do tend to go alot for denial which is anothe reason i dont IF. I have always toyed with the idea of getting the Arthur Devany info.

k i have my assault boots on, i have removed the studded belt and put my hair back and am doing the outdoors look lol great how clothes can make you a magician. the other good thing about this way of life is, even tho i am rinsed, i dont have to slather myself in makeup to look presentable. i am going to look for some piko piko fronds while i am ecotouring to try. and grab some horopito for seasoning things.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I would say that the issues around IF/whole30 and the like have everything to do with whatever your specific goals are.
    Yes, this is the truth of it for me. My goals are: weight stabilization (3kg over my goal, so loss would be nice but not essential)and reduction in chronic pain, all while eating food that I love without constantly denying myself. I NEVER want to do WW again. I don't think I need to do IF and whole30 to achieve these - although the chronic pain thing is still a work in progress.

Interesting history Zoebird, and good luck. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanx for that history Zoebird. It is interesting to read about others struggles/life. We all suffer? from it, and it is how we interpret or solve it that makes a huge difference. And its great to read of your positive attitude.
    I still have a ways to go, but have been inspired by your earlier post.
    ....so today is also day 1 of a revamped whole 30 for me. My focus is different...so we shall see if it is sustainable!

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Exactly. My goal is to maintain where I like to be -- keeping things simple. IF actually made my life easier, becuase I wasn't forcing myself to have the breakfast that I didn't want. My body naturally went that way.

I never did a whole30 before because, well, I never really felt that I needed to. I'm mostly doing it at this point to see if I can, and to see if I can break the sugar habit of the last two stress-related months.

I wouldn't say that any of it has been a struggle, per se. But my goal is to get back to 18% (i'm at about 20% now) which I maintain very easily with my natural IF cycle (i typically prefer not to eat breakfast, for example) and basic primal. Which means that now-and-again I do have "treats" such as going out for gelato or some such.

But it got out of hand in the last two months (due to stress), and so because of this, I need to clean things up a bit. It happens to coincide with when DH wants to do it, which makes it more fun.

And, oddly, part of our motivation is to spend less money, time, and effort on food, and more of those things on other things that we enjoy doing.

For DH, this is a big change. He has orthorexic tendencies -- and for years would have a great deal of anxiety around food. Over the last 15 years, a lot has changed and he's a lot less stressed about it. He sees this IF process as an opportunity for more fun and less worry about food. He's really excited about it. Before, he felt shackled by 6 meals a day, and the prep time and clean up time from it, as well as having to stop and eat, and if he didn't eat, he would practically go into a panic attack.

Now, he's like "wow, this IF thing, it could work really well for me!" So, it's liberating, rather than being constraining.

But everyone is different. That's why I dont' "recommend" any given thing beyond "basic primal." tweak when you think that something will help, but otherwise, basic primal is *great* for your health and well being!