Page 209 of 535 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 5350

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 209

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    To be honest with you, it is perfectly normal for the real and imagined (whether from TV or otherwise) to enter the child's "reality" at this point.

Children have very imaginative play, and they also will use imagery that they see around them to describe things that they don't fully understand. You have to look at it like a metaphor from the child's POV.

When DS started kindy, he was (and is) a very enthusaistic child. When he and his buddy Oscar would have free play, they would always go for the same toy.

At the end of kindy, DS would talk about how he and Oscar got into a huge fight, which started out with them just arguing "like the way that fox and duck were arguing" and then "I flew at him like a bee and slapped him!" and then he would describe oscar as jumping up onto the ceiling and crawlling across it before landing on top of me-- CRASH!

Here's what really happened, according to the teachers.

Oscar and DS love to play with the tractor during indoor play time. DS is faster, but Oscar hsa no qualms about grabbing it right out of his hands. DS protests, and Oscar ignores that protest. DS tries to grab it back. The teachers intervene before it escalates.

The teacher steps in and says "boy! look at this great tractor! both of you really want to play with this tractor! But I saw that DS had it first. So, this time, DS will play with it. DS, what other toy do you think is really cool that you think Oscar would like? (DS picks out cool toy.) Oscar, why don't you play with this toy, and then next time you can have the tractor and pick out a toy for DS to use!"

And this happened about 3 days in a row.

And then, you know, they are best friends.

So, each day DS tells me about the "fights" that he gets in and who wins and who is doing what. Also, who was on dragons and used light sabers (we have not watched star wars, but you know, it's in the culture -- he saw an angry-birds star wars sign on the street, and that got him interested). Who got their head chopped off, and whose mother died because she fell off a building.

And it's not like it is necessarily coming from "TV" -- this, I think, is just how some minds work. And it's not reality. . . it's just a metaphor for "This is a really emotional, dramatic, extreme experience with strong emotions . . . and I'm describing it in this incredibly violent and strange story that mixes what really happened (we played under the tree) with what is impossible (and then axes shot out of his eyes and hit Lydia in the back and her mom screamed because she was so upset with us!).

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yeah the teacher said it was completely normal which is good, it took away that stress.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we are having a beautiful wellington day, and I added some things to our daily schedule because DS has been struggling a bit being 4.5! It's hard to be little!

first, we have decided that *each* morning on Mon-Fri we will be doing our park work-out and DS bike riding for 20 minutes before driving into work. . . yes rain or shine. Which means I need to get my rain gear sorted and keep towels in the car. LOL

With this, we'll be doing a weekend walk/activity that will allow us to have a lot of fun, too. We usually do this anyway, so this is already "codified."

second, we are working less in the afternoons to give DS more play time with us and just more time outside. we have lots of options for indoor and outdoor play within easy walking distance, so we can make lots of decisions on that day-by-day.

third, we're having DS be involved in food prep more actively. last night he did the salad all by himself (truthfully, I did help a little), and this morning he helped me juice. We also did a good tidy. Tonight he's going to help flip the fish and I have to cut the lettuce (because that was the hardest), but he'll do hte other veggies.

finally, we are looking at doing a few things as a family. I contacted an aikido school to learn about how young they take kids and how many of us can attend. I re-contacted the archery club, so that we could go out there (they never write back!). And, DH and I were gifted some old ukuleles (that still work) and so we're going to do an online ukulele lesson as a family once a week.

We figure that this will keep DS very engaged and happy; he really wants/needs our attention.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Seas clean out your message box !!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A balmy 68deg. F here; just beautiful weather for mid February. I went outside earlier to talk to some neighbors, and I think I may be the only one sober in any of the 10 units. Everyone has been drinking all day (or for the last five days) for the Mardi Gras celebration.

I love sobriety <<< that is sarcasm. But my liver needs a break, and after learning how much like fructose is alcohol, I understand some stuff I didn't before, so I'm doing 70 days of complete sobriety. It will end on my birthday, at which time I will buy of fifth of tequila, some lox, and some stupidly expensive cheeses, and drink myself blind. The good news about my bday is that it falls between Mardi Gras and the Jazz Fest, so things here will be relatively quiet.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

okay - will I be in america on your birthday ??????
    cos we could do tequila ???? not sure what lox is ??????

...small steps....

lox is smoked salmon or is it pickled herrings? tequila would be good around about now. you so need to live closer G!!!

yep I second that seas - but I might just teach you all sorts of naughty nonsense after my big trip to America!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    who says i wont corrupt you?!