Page 189 of 534 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 5331

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 189

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A friend of mine is thinking of going in for a cow-share. Essentially, we buy the cow and pay half, they care for it, and then butcher it (we'd have to split some of those costs), and then we get 1/2 the cow in a year. Interesting investment.

We'd have to buy a freezer, too. Apparently 1 cow lasts two people 1 year. I assume that 1/2 cow will last three people about 1/3 year. I'm wondering if it will cost less. . . But, the quality will be great so. . . hmm. It's a toss-up. We'd still have to buy regular meats 2/3 of the year, though.

hmmm.

foraging and learning to fish is progressing, too. Slowly, but progressing.

school starts for us next thursday. we are all looking forward to it. Reminds me, I need to toss DS's backpack in the wash.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Cow share is a really cheap way of getting your meat, and you know where its come from and you know how its been processed. I'd go for it if I were you Zoe. We picked up a cheap second hand chest freezer off TM a few years back (just make sure the door seals are intact) and it was a very wise investment. I don't know that we've ever had 1/2 a cow before, but certainly a 1/3 lasts us for ages. I think DH worked out that after processing the meat worked out at less than $8 a kilo which is very cheap. I like that you get unusual cuts as well, things that you won't find at the supermarket like heart and tongue.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    afternoon ladies - just back from the hairdressers in Culvie.................. I have had a lovely day.
    Good luck with the first day back at school LL. Any tears ??????? And giving things away is so very therapeutic for the soul....one mans rubbish...etc
    Get that trade me 'to do' list on the go too........it can be a great little money earner !
    and Zoes, I haven't heard of this cow sharing thing, but what a brilliant idea. I agree with LL - just do it !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    First day of school today *happy dance*
    i am jealous! i have been out in the stinking heat with whining ratty kids all day. i threw a total hissy fit and made them go home as they were acting up so much. i so need some space. 5 days to go!!!

i have gotten 1/4 cow of the neigbour before. lots and lots of mince and stewing steak in relation to the good cuts. prob about 1/3 mince. it does depend on the butcher who cuts it up or if you end up with the cow in one piece that you have to cut up as well. around here alot of people sell their cows to the works and spend the money on steak instead. personally i prefer a deer and i prefer venison and also you get more better quality meat i reckon.

LL i am guilty of not labelling bags as well. i do cut all the meat off my venison so it will either be steak, stir fry or roasting lumps. i keep meaning to get organised and label it but everytime i end up with the wrong bags and the sharpie wont write properly. wild pork in my freezer will be either backstraps or legs which are self explanatory.

Hey it's nice to know that my freezer full of randomness is not alone. We did end up with a roast the other day, instead of the chops I meant to thaw out, but thankfully I had time to cook it - happy accident.

Absolutely no tears at school this morning Gwamma. Some of the other kids were clinging on but DS was great, he asked me to come in with him and then announced shortly after that I could go now. I made a hasty exit!

Home for the afternoon now, off to ferrit out more TM stuff..........

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    aw don't talk about school.
    My big boy starts Monday, and every time I think about it I cry.
    My husband is off work Monday because I know ill need him lol
    My son on the other hand is very excited.

Aww Ayla, that's sweet that your DH will be there to support you. My DS is a busy wee boy, with tons of energy so school is very good news for both him and his exhausted parents . This is his second year so we're well practised now. My DD will be starting school in Brunei later this year, she's not quite 4 yet and I'm not sure how I feel about that for now. She already does kindy and day care 5 days a week so I suppose it'll be much the same?

Good luck!

He did go to a Steiner preschool for 2 days a week 2011, and 1 term of 2012 and I missed him every second LOL.
    He is really looking forward to school though, so I am happy about that, but it is a bit hard to let go you know what I mean?

my youngest is 2.5, so will be at home with me for at least another year yet, so will be good to spend one on one time with him.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    We did end up with a roast the other day, instead of the chops I meant to thaw out, but thankfully I had time to cook it - happy accident.
    if you have a sharp knife, you can always steak a roast but you cant turn steaks into roasts!

i love my kids more than anything but i still reckon they need time away too. i find that i also have alot of things i need to do which they make it difficult to do as they havent quite gotten the basic concept that i need to earn money to support them, or we need not to make loads of noise creeping up on the prey sorta thing. it does blow me away that when i was their ages ( 9 and 12 ) if i had beaches, inlets, horses, bush, dinghys and bows and arrows. even just a 1 acre back yard with bush on, i would not be within tripping over distance of my mum, she wouldnt have seen me for dust from when i got up till it was dinner time!