Page 17 of 536 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 17

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Seaweed I just can't do paua. I am not sure why? Give me marinated raw fish, raw oysters, mussels any day. As a child we used to forage for pipis, and they were the best - I havn't tried kina either, but it looks gross !!!!!! and after standing on the odd one as a child, they didn't make it onto my christmas card list ! What do they taste like ?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    paua are interesting. i definitely wouldnt waste loadsa $s buying them in the shop. the last one i priced was about $45. eeek! that's alot of fillet steak lol usually i do the bash and chop, then fry them with onions and garlic. sometimes i throw some cream in. usually i throw some chilli in or kaitaia fire or smokey tabasco. i love pipis and cockles. all those sorts of shellfish. steamed open and eaten with vinegar. kina i never could do out of the tubs. my mind couldnt make me eat them at all. till we went diving one day in a very shark infested patch of water. in fact i got stalked by a seal in the water the time before when we went there. since i have paua in the freezer, it was cold and there was a nasty rip going on, i had a shark phobia moment and suddenly decided it was a not good time to get in. so i sat on the rocks and kept watch for fins lol one of the guys found a kina so they broke it on the rocks for me and i got to eat it. it was scrumptious. all the chicks i weave with reckon it is better out the shell. sorta sweet. sorta tangy. not overly fishy. they eat kelp so they will be very nutritious. maybe it was just the moment that made it taste so nice as i was way out in the middle of nowhere, no cell signal, in the sun by the ocean. total peace and silence. i had some yesterday for lunch with scrambled eggs and zucchini noodles. julienne a zucchini. chuck it in a colander with a sprinkle of salt to sweat for half an hour. rinse if off and drain. fry up some onion and a smidgen of garlic. throw in the zucchini. when it looks cooked. move it to one side of the pan. throw in and scamble 1 beaten egg and the tongues out of 2 kina. salt, pepper etc and eat. really yummy.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Olderog;961024]
    while it's astoundingly easy to go paleo in this country, it is also true that at the same time you only have to look about to see a tragically high portion of other kiwis eating their way into an early grave. [QUOTE]

This is so true, and I find it so irritating as a healthcare professional where I see the direct impact of food and lifestyle on wellbeing. Yesturday I was parked outside kindy waiting for my son's school to finish and a kindy mum arrived late to pick up her kids, you could just tell by looking at her that not one piece of fruit or vege had crossed her plate in a very long time. She had that typical bloated body with horrible acne and lank hair, she just ooozed crappy food out of every pore. If only we could talk sense into these people! Instead, I get left with trying to convince people to change their lifestyles/diet after they have already trashed themselves for decades and have chronic illness that can't be fixed. Thats taxpayers dollars working for you right there!

Anyway, thats enough of my ranting for the day.

Hope everyone is enjoying the last of the spring weather before the rain arrives tomorrow (boo we have some lovely cherry blossoms here at work and they will be all gone if this heavy rain starts).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Ooh, Lizzielou I feel your irritation. Why is it that what other people do bothers us so much?

Today my Mum brought over two bottles of fizzy, she must know I don't drink the stuff, but still she did it. Then I had to open it and serve it back to her and dad and my dh. I just couldn't make myself join in, but still I felt bad giving it to them. Yet if I had offered freshly squeezed grapefruit juice it would have been turned down on the grounds that it would interfere with their medication. Therefore I don't offer it, so how come she still offers the fake stuff to me?

Oh, how did things ever become so topsy turvey? Certainly gives me even more incentive to keep doing all I can to make sure I do not follow the same path to poor health.
    Last edited by Annieh; 09-25-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Cordof is offline Junior Member
    I'm a Kiwi who's been on Primal for about 6 months now. Never looked back. No more stomach probs, no heartburn, and loads more energy.

Cordof - a huge welcome to you. We just keep on popping out of the undergrowth.
    I totally agree with you on the stomach, heartburn, energy stuff. Why didn't I find MDA years ago ??????
    G

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i found MDA as he agreed with me lol i sorta arrived at the conclusion grains and sugar and industrial oils were not good for me and there was primal.

dithering about doing a whole 30 here but i want to do something different. i am thinking a pesco whole 30 with only wild game meats as well. my only struggle is what to feed the kids as they will riot if i try to overdo the shellfish etc.

there is also the issue of the ubiquitous coconut milk/oil/cream. i fully admit i am a coffee junkie. i need to have something i can drink with milk or equivalent in it with the flavour of coffee or close to it. i can cope if it is decaf, hummingbird coffee do a decaf bean which is awesome. you wouldnt know the diff till you start falling asleep real early at night instead of being hyped. but yeah, i will be having to have coconut cream in it which i think i can do.

primalgoon is offline Junior Member
    Hi peeps from good ol NZ "long time listener, first time caller" here, just saying hi. Been doing Primal since about March, with small bit of derailing when on holidays overseas last month..

Primalgoon, fantastic that your first post is with our little kiwi thread. How has the primal lifestyle treated you ??????? I am sure that a small bit of derailing isn't going to upset things too much.
    Where in this lovely country are you posting from ?

G

...small steps....

primalgoon is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the welcome primal Gwamma, I am from your neck of the country (hence the goon in my name)

I am finding the whole primal thing really great, and giving up the grains was way easier than I imagined it would be. The hardest parts are trying to work out what to eat, especially breakfast, as I have it at work most mornings. I have gotten round that by doing extra tea and nukeing it in the microwave at work... it may not be the way of Grok for heating but Im not into cold beef stog, and if I light a camp-fire in the office I am pretty sure it would set off the sprinklers.
    The other hardest part of this whole life-style is the way other people treat it.... "no its not some weird diet... no its not Atkins.. yes you can survive without grains... yes I have heard of the dangers of eating lots of saturated fats"...
    But otherwise, grumble over, pretty fantastic, I cant imagine going back over to the dark (and grainy) side...