Page 16 of 534 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 16

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well done seaweed, two weeks is worth celebrating !!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    one of the good things, or conversly, bad things about high fat is even i am too scared to eat sugar while i am high fatting as a) i dont want to undo the nastiness of low carb flu and have to do any of it again and b) the thought of the sugar making me store all that fat as fat is scarey, even with my disordered relationship with food. plus i am now finding too many other yummy things to eat to worry about sneaking a few slices of GF banana cake. i have a couple of kina which i am thinking i will make with scrambled eggs and zucchini noodles for lunch tomorrow. if i dont eat them raw while i am making the eggs and noodles lol i have a whole stack of paua which i am going to try to make into something with coconut milk. i was thinking even a mild red thai curry to keep the flavour of the paua and then have it over cauliflower. plus the wonderful whitebait which i still just have to fry up in omlettes with garlic salt. not to mention a few meals worth of blue cod fillets i just chucked into the freezer with the venison and wild pork already there. so where do i have room for cake? & there's more lol i got a bag of pork bones at the weekend from the farmer's market so i have pork broth to go and fish broth too!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    well, wellington enjoyed another beautiful spring day today. And what a productive day for us it was, too!

for work: we edited and burned a DVD for one client; created a new video and edited 3 others, and I also wrote five blogs!

for home: did a nice, deep cleaning of the whole house (only thing left to do is the fridge, really. I can do that tomorrow afternoon), pulled weeds throughout the garden and swept up; did laundry; and got the outdoor covered area (green house?) cleaned and swept and ready for the clothes lines that we're putting up tomorrow (i have to buy the materials). I'm putting up six short lines using the frame of the space as the places for the eye bolts, and then using really brightly colored line because the walls in there are white, and then the other (roof and one other wall) are clear. That's where the sun comes through!

for family: did a nice family walk around the neighborhood and picked up some fruit for tomorrow's lunch; played with DS and also watched a few Mouk cartoons (they are really cute); had a nice skype call with the ILs; nice family meals and time just hanging out. DH and I watched the last masterchef wherein Andy wins! wee!

car isn't working, so we've got an appointment for a mobile mechanic to come out tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping that it's a simple fix (wiring and connectors on the battery) and not the starter, alternator, something like. also, the fan needs to be looked at, but that will probably be a bit later yet.

so, we haven't done our grocery shopping, but it's ok. DH will do a quick run and DS and I will meet him at the bus stop and we'll all head home together. It costs us more to take the bus than it does to take the car, but there we go. Weird, that. Still, we can access food easily enough. LOL

i have a little list of projects for the house as follows, in order of importance:

1. clothes lines;
    2. shelves for living room (DS's toy/book organization so that I have more space for his clothes!);
    3. paint kitchen, shelves for kitchen walls, create fun "gallery wall" with "frames" painted on the wall for DS's artworks;
    4. shelves for laundry above washer;
    5. shelves for bathroom above sink (there's a shelf there now, but it looks crazy);
    6. hooks for towels, pjs, robes instead of weird towel bar;
    7. shelves for closet organization.

The biggest project is 3 -- the kitchen. I wish the landlady would pull out the carpet and put in some kind of vinyl or something. That would be awesome. The carpet is so gross.

Zoe, that is one long list girl !!!!!!!
    Good Luck, and sounds like you had an awesome family time.
    Would you like to come and clean my cave ? its an absolute mess....bones everywhere, loin cloths and the like ......LOL

...small steps....

I think it's a rather short list, actually. LOL lots of other things have already been done.

Being a minimalist, a massive declutterer (i do at least 30 minutes of decluttering per week at both home and office, as well as a big one every quarter), and also living in a very small place, it's really easy to get everything done in terms of cleaning. The quarterly declutters and deep cleanings take about 4 hours, which isn't bad at all.

The list of home improvements, they are harder because we have to save up to pay for them, borrow tools from neighbors to do the work (no point in buying tools if you don't do a lot of projects IMO. We also use the tool library, which I'd never heard of until we moved to NZ), and then do that work around our normal schedules (which on the weekends is a lot of skype calls).

Super-psyched about work, too. We were in stuff.co.nz today (kids yoga!), and we got a lot of enquiries about our whole yoga program because of it. It was awesome! So, we're gearing up to see new students and we have two families signed up for the yoga class already. THEN, i got interviewed for the radio (local) about it, which is pretty awesome, assuming it gets picked up relatively wide. So that's really awesome.

Also, got the schedule organized for the evening classes over the next two months, wherein i'm only responsible for one night per week. Nice!
    Last edited by zoebird; 09-24-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Olderog is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone.

Good to read all the experiences here. We've been paleo since February this year. I've dropped from 102kg to 91 kg and stabilised there, while my partner has seen a smaller drop down from 86 to 84kg. There is no question that there is a huge hormonal influence on weight.

At the same time we've been getting to Pilates at least three times a week which has seen both of us tone and re-shape significantly. I'm not sure we're doing anything too radical, mainly we just eliminated the sugar, grains and trans-oils, while also focussing on the other important aspects, stress, sleep, sunshine and the correct exercise.

It's kind of frustrating how everyone else frames this as a 'diet'. It's not. I've taken to calling it an 'anti-diet', quite the opposite of the what everything else on offer is about. In fact I'd go so far as to say that what you actually eat is less relevant than how you manage stress and it's hormonal impact.

And as more than a few have already said; while it's astoundingly easy to go paleo in this country, it is also true that at the same time you only have to look about to see a tragically high portion of other kiwis eating their way into an early grave. Food at every level has a political dimension.

Zoe, fantastic about the radio. Nothing quite like a freebee !!! actually word of mouth is your most powerfull tool in buisness ( I believe), so keep at it !
    and Olderog, welcome to you and your family. Love the name - presume you are an older roger ?????
    this is a bit like name plates !!!!! althou if i have got it wrong....its not !
    I do agree that it is easy to go paleo, and I have to bite my tongue while out and about....too many unhealthy Kiwis out there ....choices !!!!!

...small steps....

I don't talk about diet while out, but there are a LOT of paleo folk out and about Wellington for sure. I know a lot of them.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olderog View Post
    it's astoundingly easy to go paleo in this country, it is also true that at the same time you only have to look about to see a tragically high portion of other kiwis eating their way into an early grave.
    Hi Olderog, you sum it up well.

Welcome, and congratulations to you also.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hi olderog! i also find it strange how much decent food we have here, often just on our doorstep, and what icky things people eat instead. i dont bother talking about nutrition to anyone anymore. i cant stand those self righteous people who lecture anyways. besides i have enough of my own nefarious habits lol

paua curry was quite nice. i found an entire page and then some of paua recipes here since i need to get thru at least 20 of them if you include the ones in the freezer. paua almandine next i think.
    New Zealand Abalone Farmers Association -