Page 116 of 535 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 5341

Thread: Our own little Kiwi Thread ! page 116

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    shadow walkers. none of my kids are scared of the dark
    Sceadugenga - Mythical Creatures Guide

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    doing well here. fasting is going nicely. doing a 1-8 window right now that's going well. Looking at going 2-5 as a possible time frame as well.

otherwise, work is good. half-way to particular goals, and happy all around. DS is doing well -- growing again (as they do!) and smart as a whip.

also, getting geared up for the festive hobbit time.

lots of hoo haa about animal abuse on the hobbit. i rolled my eyes when i saw the pic they posted with the article. either it's the camera angle or that is one upset horse. check out the whites in the eyes and the rider looks like he hasnt got a clue.
    Hobbit animal complaints too late: SPCA
    i'm still gonna stand behind the coldness here for not IFing. Plus OMG butter rabbit! that was so the best recipe in the world gwamma. use the idea as a base and then make it with anything. fry garlic and meat in butter. throw in a can of coconut milk. garam marsala and spices. bit of yoghurt. spoon of tomato paste. salt and simmer. done in 15. i think i spent more time going thru the rabbit to make sure i didnt leave an shotgun pellets in it. yes kids it is chicken lol crunch crunch!!

I will hang my head in shame and reappear when I have something to gloat about
    lol silence in these situations is a virtue unreal how annoying these bots are!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article. Personally, I don't believe it because why would anyone do that? It doesn't make any sense at all.

The horse in that scene (as well as the rider) are supposed to look at odds. Bilbo is not supposed to be that horse and adventure savvy (though the Brandybucks of Buckland on the edge of the shire are known to be quite savvy horsemen-- they are also the only hobbits to lock their doors). And looking at the angle of the horses head, the white aspect of the eye is exaggerated.

Knowing one of the trainers who worked on LoTR, they said they had to teach horses to do a lot of things for film -- such as throwing their heads certain ways while holding their bodies still (something you can see in that photograph) to demonstrate that the horses "weren't' happy" which was needed for the scene itself, but the horses themselves were never in danger.

It's similar to teaching a dog to show a great deal of territorial behavior at the drop of a hat -- which dogs are trained to do -- while then also training them to act afraid and back up (another scene from the LoTR that you might recall?). But the dogs are just doing their "tricks" and not being harmed in any way in the process.

Also, the real problem is how long after the complaints came, because then you can't really investigate. So, we'll never know. . . and it's really upsetting to assume that so many people were not doing their jobs properly -- particularly in a country where people take animal care so seriously as they do in NZ.

The horse in that scene (as well as the rider) are supposed to look at odds. Bilbo is not supposed to be that horse and adventure savvy (though the Brandybucks of Buckland on the edge of the shire are known to be quite savvy horsemen-- they are also the only hobbits to lock their doors). And looking at the angle of the horses head, the white aspect of the eye is exaggerated
    exactly. which is why i thought it was an interesting choice of pic. how to slant your opionion before you start reading. there was another article and it was equally vague. same lovely pic. but from what it said alot of it was stuff like dangerous fences, boggy ground etc. i cannot tell you how many horses and ponies locally have broken legs in paddocks. we're talking smart old horses. it is just a fact of life. our old pony got caught on a muhlenbekia vine the other day. tied her leg up totally. she is smart so she just stood still till i found her. she's clipped her cover onto the fence too and done the same thing. patiently waited to be rescued. not all horses are anywhere near as onto it so they kicked and get injured. sheep fall into creeks and cant get out. the list goes on. but yeah, from what the other article said the insinuation was it was more that sort of abuse than whipping and beating abuse.

NZ primal Gwamma is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    doing well here. fasting is going nicely. doing a 1-8 window right now that's going well. Looking at going 2-5 as a possible time frame as well.

otherwise, work is good. half-way to particular goals, and happy all around. DS is doing well -- growing again (as they do!) and smart as a whip.

also, getting geared up for the festive hobbit time.
    thrilled to hear that everything is going well Zoe.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    lots of hoo haa about animal abuse on the hobbit. i rolled my eyes when i saw the pic they posted with the article. either it's the camera angle or that is one upset horse. check out the whites in the eyes and the rider looks like he hasnt got a clue.
    Hobbit animal complaints too late: SPCA
    i'm still gonna stand behind the coldness here for not IFing. Plus OMG butter rabbit! that was so the best recipe in the world gwamma. use the idea as a base and then make it with anything. fry garlic and meat in butter. throw in a can of coconut milk. garam marsala and spices. bit of yoghurt. spoon of tomato paste. salt and simmer. done in 15. i think i spent more time going thru the rabbit to make sure i didnt leave an shotgun pellets in it. yes kids it is chicken lol crunch crunch!!
    I am so pleased the rabbit was a success Seaweed. I so wish my wee poppett was here, instead of America - shooting me some rabbit !!!!

I have just mowed half the lawns, so now for some lunch and then back into it.....be good you lot !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

I am so pleased the rabbit was a success Seaweed. I so wish my wee poppett was here, instead of America - shooting me some rabbit !!!!
    i am going rabbit shooting tomorrow afternoon if we can all get away. depends on work loads. i am taking the pump action which i absolutely love. so theatrical lol i usually end up with wicked bruises all over my shoulder as it kicks back so bad. but yes. so far we've done fish, prawns and rabbit with THE recipe. basically any white meat/fish/shellfish and it will work. i will try it with venison next time to test that theory.

off to town shortly to look for coconut oil and a few other bits and pieces and going to the library. i just finished the book my neighbour lent me which was awesome so i need something else to read.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like you ladies would like one of my favourites low cooker recipes. Really easy to play with and change it up. Going to try coconut milk next time :-)

So here's a recipe I've been playing with recently (I didn't invent it, but can't remember where I got it from originally) based on a Malaysian/Indonesian style soup or stew:

As I was cooking for 15+ people I used the following approximate amounts and ingredients, but you can take this as a base and play with it, scale it down, etc., whatever spices you have in the pantry. I also substituted the beef for lamb neck chops, the second I made it.

Ingredients
    1 kilo grams of beef, cuts meant for making soup or curries. (use cheaper cuts that need to be cooked slowly, like brisket)
    1 kilo grams of beef tendons
    Veggies: 4 large onions, (can add a bulb of garlic, but I don’t eat it if I can help it), 6 sticks of celery, 6 large tomatoes, 4 medium carrots, 1 tspn of powdered ginger (could use fresh obviously). Finely chop the onion. (garlic if included), ginger and cut the other veggies into large pieces.
    Herbs: Not vital, but adds a different dimension. Throw in some of your favourite flavours.
    Whole spices: 8 cloves, 4 star anise, 8 cardamom pods or a tspn of powder.
    Spices (powdered): Use your favourite spice/rub. I use garam masala, but you could use a Moroccan or Cajun mix. Either rub it into the meat, or just sprinkle it into the crok pot. I used 5 or 6 tablespoons of garam masala.
    Some fat for browning the meat if you choose to.
    Enough to just cover the meat/veggies during cooking.

Instructions
    I put all of the ingredients into the pot, starting with the onions, celery etc. then the tendons and meat (but you could brown off the meat first in a separate pan before adding the onions and spices then the veggies and water). I then sprinkle in the spices and stir through so everything gets a good coating. If you’ve time leave it like this for an hour or so to let the flavours really get ingrained into everything.
    Pour in the water until it just covers everything, which in my case was just before it overflowed the crok pot

Stick it on low and leave to cook, it’ll probably be done after 8 or 9 hours, but the longer you leave it the better it gets. It’s ready to eat when the tendons have gone nice and soft and almost translucent. If you put it on high, obviously the cooking time is reduced. The last time I made this was during the day, it was turned on at about midday on low to begin with, but switched to high at at around 1 or 2 pm to make sure that it was ready to eat that evening.

When the beef tendon is nice and gooey, add salt to taste and fresh herbs and serve.

I should be cooking it again this week, so will add some pics then
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

with the exception of the veges and obviously i used rabbit, not beef. that is pretty much what i used spicewise. garam marsala, cardamon, whole star anise, whole cloves, fresh ginger and garlic. i added in some cinnamon as an after thought. oh plus the can of coconut milk. maybe i stuff up but if i lob everything in my cast iron fry pan in sorta logically order, i have curry in 15 or so mins so i never know why i need to slow cook it.

what is beef tendon in kiwi ? ie what would i find it labelled as in the supermarket?