Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get an "EAT EAT EAT" mentality after eating a low-carb dinner? page

fcby9 is offline Member

Angry Do you get an "EAT EAT EAT" mentality after eating a low-carb dinner?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to eat very low-carb for the past few days because I don't have a massive amount of weight to lose, so I find that weight loss tends to be a bit more stubborn. I'm a female in my teens, about 6'0 tall and around 178 lbs. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs. I have a lean upper body, but my butt and thighs are pretty curvy (I'm a size 10-12).

For breakfast and lunch, I tend to be disciplined and don't crave sweets. But after dinner, regardless of HOW MUCH I eat (e.g. 2 grass-fed beef patties, lots of broccoli and brussel sprouts sauteed in butter), I always CRAVE something sweet. So on top of that pretty substantial dinner, I had a few handfuls of almonds, a few glasses of milk, 1/3 bar of dark chocolate, and a banana. Nothing explicitly UN-paleo (except for the dairy), but it's just SO MUCH FOOD. I just have a crazy desire to eat something on top of a massive dinner, especially something sweet. (And fruit just packs on weight for me!)

It's pretty important for me to remain in ketosis because these 20 lbs will pretty much fight tooth and nail to cling on. Did you experience something similar after eating especially low-carb? How do you combat the desire to eat something else? Is this a sign that I should really just eliminate sugar for good, so I can overcome the addiction?

Thanks so much! It's so valuable to hear the opinions of my fellow Primal veterans.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I'm guessing the milk, chocolate and banana are going to throw you out of ketosis. Just too many carbs, not necessarily bad ones, just too many. In the case of munchies, try for nuts and berries... Better yet, try to just walk the cravings off. Also, you may need to spread out your calories better throughout the day. Calories, especially for women, do matter so figure out how many calories you need to maintain and then lose. I'm sure someone will mention a website with a calculator to figure it out. I can't think of it.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I have a lean upper body, but my butt and thighs are pretty curvy (I'm a size 10-12).
    Sounds like you are perfect already
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

fcby9 is offline Member
    @ magicmerl: thank you, but you're too kind! I do need to lean out a bit. It's mainly just a matter of tone -- I'm not wild about the skinny-fat look (my top half is skinny, my bottom half isn't as). Grokette was phat and toned, haha.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I have a strong craving for something sweet after every meal. The only thing that works for me it to drink a glass of water. I try not to eat anything when I'm "craving" as nothing satisfies when I'm craving and I'll rage out and eat everything lol. A glass of water will usually knock me out of "I must eat everything!!".
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Baba is offline Member
    Ha, for me it wasn't sweets (more cheese and nuts), but yes, do I know the after-dinner-cravings!

Here's how I went from excessive after-dinner-nibbling to not eating dinner at all.

Fist step: choose some paleo treats and stick to them - allow no other foods after dinner.
    Second step: eat as much of those as you want, but only at the dinner table and on a plate - no nibbling on the sofa.
    Now you can start to ration the treats, either by limiting the daily amount or by only buying so much per week and eating it until it's gone.

Eventually I tried not eating dinner at all - and it worked! And of course there is no "time after dinner" when you've come to that point....

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Sounds like you are perfect already
    Yeah, curvy ftw
    Billie trips balls

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried eating something salty? It might satisfy those cravings. Also, as mentioned milk and banana (even milk alone) will probably prevent ketosis.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I have the same after dinner issue, not helped by the fact that I eat FAST and therefore don't always realise I'm full. What I find though is usually once I've had a cup of tea the brain knows that eating time is over. Somehow I've learnt that tea = no more food. I know that this is an anorexic trick, but have you tried cleaning your teeth straight after dinner? Might also work as an off switch. Or try a cuppa!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

denise is offline Senior Member
    i have noticed exactly this phenomenon. In fact, I get HUNGRIER for about 10' after a meal. VERY uncomfortable - but I have learned (am learning) that if I wait it out, white knuckling, for about 45' it noticeably fades away. Sometimes, I am actually slightly TOO full then and very relieved I didn't continue to eat. I think its a delay between my stomach receiving the food and a signal getting to my brain. In the meantime, my appetite is even more stimulated by the food I am seeing and eating - and so I get "hungrier".

I have also slowed down while I eat a LOT - to see if that helps.

I plan not to "consume/do" anything for that 45' - maybe an hour. IF it doesn't fade then maybe I need more food. If it does, its a signalling issue. Either way I am learning to listen to my body which can't be a bad thing??
    Last edited by denise; 08-29-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast