Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you get an "EAT EAT EAT" mentality after eating a low-carb dinner? page 3

fcby9 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yes. I used to handle it via a gigantic fruit plate (6- 8 servings of fruit), but now handle it with a long postprandial tea drinking with savory things that can be stretched to eat for an hour or so. I drink 3-5 cups of tea, slowly, and eat a small dish of chilled coconut milk and about an oz of fine-chopped cheese (tiny pieces); sometimes I go for a big bowl of fresh cabbage drizzled with balzamic vinegar & sea salt instead of chips. When I am extra stubborn, I go for 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, eating each berry for a long, long time....
    Leida, I love your slow food approach.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    To the OP: I'm definitely the same way and I'm working on overcoming this as we speak. I found that if I drink water after my dinnertime meal (I only eat two "meals" per day) I digest it slower and don't have as strong of a craving for post-meal snacking. If I don't drink water within 10 minutes of finishing my meal, I start to forage around the kitchen and indulge in crazy uncontrolled snacking! Sure, like you, it's primal foods (usually a few handfuls of coconut chips, a handful of macadamia nuts, and once in a while some dried fruit) but it's too much and my body hates me for it the next day.

Give water a try... or, like someone else suggested, tea. Both work for me.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would like to add, that I simply count on having my slow snack after dinner, and plan for it. It proved to be easier than trying to eliminate the life-long habit. I try to miss lunch instead on recovery days. My lowest weight in the day is after I come home from work before dinner rather than after I just woke up. Big deal. Overall, the trend is downwards.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    What the heck, I'll toss in.

I always want something sweet after a meal, so this is how I handle it most times. Since I'm not allowed much sugar right now anyway (candida), I do not eat breakfast, typically. I have a mid-morning instead of some macadamias, coconut oil bar, bowl of veggies with butter, to break my fast. Then after lunch, I might have some more coconut oil or a couple of nuts. After dinner, depending on what I've eaten, I might want something sweet. Fine -- rather than fight it miserably, I will have frozen berries in coconut milk -- a fast ice cream -- or a coconut oil nut butter cup made with a bit of stevia. Or maybe even a small square of dark chocolate -- the really dark kind. I find giving in a little eliminates me eating a bunch of other things. That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    What the heck, I'll toss in.

I always want something sweet after a meal, so this is how I handle it most times. Since I'm not allowed much sugar right now anyway (candida), I do not eat breakfast, typically. I have a mid-morning instead of some macadamias, coconut oil bar, bowl of veggies with butter, to break my fast. Then after lunch, I might have some more coconut oil or a couple of nuts. After dinner, depending on what I've eaten, I might want something sweet. Fine -- rather than fight it miserably, I will have frozen berries in coconut milk -- a fast ice cream -- or a coconut oil nut butter cup made with a bit of stevia. Or maybe even a small square of dark chocolate -- the really dark kind. I find giving in a little eliminates me eating a bunch of other things. That's what I do.
    Frozen berries in coconut milk sound so freaking delicious...

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    It is! I learned it from Sarah Fergoso (sp?) as she does it with her kids for a fast dessert. Super yummy.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It is really freaking delicious. And if you can find coconut cream, it's even better. It's almost the same as coconut milk, but just a little more dessert-like, a little more creamy and with more of a coconut fruitiness to it. It's not sweetened or anything, just ever so slightly different.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Comma is offline Senior Member
    A hardboiled egg with nut butter. Just tried it. Very sumptious.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there any "dessert" or anything remotely sweet that would bring you out of ketosis, though? That's the state I'm trying to remain in, and even blueberries are kind of carby, if you have a cup. And to have anything less than a cup (for me) would be kind of unthinkable. Once I get into them, it's like, "OMG! Sweetness! Eat up, there's a famine in the near future!" Sigh...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123