Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get an "EAT EAT EAT" mentality after eating a low-carb dinner? page 2

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sometimes I get really bad cravings after dinner - I think mostly because I used to nibble on smth all night. So it's a question of habit and at times - boredom. After going paleo the cravings have become much less frequent but they still raise their ugly little head from time to time. Sometimes I give in (and regret it afterwards because I usually have nuts or cheese - both are super high in calories and difficult to stop eating, especially nuts) but often I try the good old trick with some tea and it works. Or tea + 10g of 90% chocolate, if I am really feeling that I am depriving myself by not giving in. I usually make the tea before dinner, so it's there before I can snack on something else.
    As JennGlob mentioned - calories matter too, especially for women and when loosing those last pounds. Recently I decided to go down to 15% bodyfat and had to follow very strict paleo plus watch my calorie intake to do that.
    You mention "toning" - some heavy weightlifting would help to sort that out easier than diet alone. But diet is still 80% of success, I believe.
    Last edited by inesenite; 08-29-2012 at 01:31 AM.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Anything with a sweet taste is a 'trigger' for me and can lead to massive overeating. So when I get a craving for something sweet at the end of a meal (happens frequently), I have either a cup of black coffee or plain green tea. Somehow that satisfies my urges.

If not, I just 'white knuckle' through because I know that giving in just reinforces a bad habit. Since I've been in the habit of ending a meal with a hot drink, it tends to be satisfying 99% of the time.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    On this forum you will find people who thrive doing the exact opposite of each other; some drop weight by guzzling fat and are extrememly carb phobic; others take a middle ground and have found that they've gotten over weight-loss stalls by adding carbs or upping calories. Some get past weight loss stalls by introducing intermittent fasting, and some (like me) who recognize how great good quality fat is can't lose fat by doing anything other than eating low-fat. In fact, every time I see someone post something about eating 1 piece of fruit per week and gaining 10lbs or something equally ridiculous-sounding, i'm reminded of how effortless it was for me to get down to 106lbs eating a TON of fruit every day (in addition to lean protein). We are a vaired bunch here...

The point is just to say that you may be one of the folks who will eventually thrive with high fat/low carb...and maybe you won't. Either way, don't be afraid to experiment, and be very kind and compassionate to yourself in the meanwhile. There are many factors that can stall weight-loss and one of the biggies is stress (as well as poor quality sleep, which the body recognizes as a stressor).

Also, women have a notoriously difficult time burning off fat from the lower part of the body; we are genetically designed to store fat there.

Why am I giving such a disclaimer? Mainly because this is easily the hundredth post from a woman struggling with low carb and difficulty losing those last few. Sure, maybe the answer is as easy as adding more fat, being more disciplined, etc...but in my opinion and from my personal experience, I think that women in general are probably better off with more carbs in their diets. For me, low carb eating was very helpful to gain control of my hunger, and it also really helped while i was recovering from an ED. But eating fat NEVER resulted in any weight loss for me. I only lost weight eating low-fat, and even then, the top part of my body became emaciated while the bottom part clung onto extra fat that it wouldn' t release no matter what.

So, ultimately, my advice is not very exciting: Concentrate on eating healthy foods that help you to understand and get in control of your hunger FIRST. Maybe this means eating a bigger, fattier dinner later in the evening, maybe it just means having some potatoes with your already adequate dinner. Whatever change you need to make, you're the only one who can figure out what it will take to cut the cravings. When the evening cravings are in check, then you can experiment with losing some fat (either by cutting back on fat or calories or changing an exercise routine or IF, etc...)
    Last edited by BestBetter; 08-29-2012 at 06:06 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i know this will be ignored.

if you are in your teens. stay primal... your hormones are doing a lot of things to you and for you and you want that to happen as naturally as possible. pushing yourself to meet some goal while so much is out of your control is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

When you hit 23 then focus on "correcting" today focus on prevention.

eat well
    eat moderately
    exercise moderately
    get all your vitamins and minerals
    drink your water.

please at least consider this.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inesenite View Post
    Sometimes I get really bad cravings after dinner - I think mostly because I used to nibble on smth all night. So it's a question of habit and at times - boredom. After going paleo the cravings have become much less frequent but they still raise their ugly little head from time to time. Sometimes I give in (and regret it afterwards because I usually have nuts or cheese - both are super high in calories and difficult to stop eating, especially nuts) but often I try the good old trick with some tea and it works. Or tea + 10g of 90% chocolate, if I am really feeling that I am depriving myself by not giving in. I usually make the tea before dinner, so it's there before I can snack on something else.
    As JennGlob mentioned - calories matter too, especially for women and when loosing those last pounds. Recently I decided to go down to 15% bodyfat and had to follow very strict paleo plus watch my calorie intake to do that.
    You mention "toning" - some heavy weightlifting would help to sort that out easier than diet alone. But diet is still 80% of success, I believe.
    Everything you said.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I've been trying to eat very low-carb for the past few days because I don't have a massive amount of weight to lose, so I find that weight loss tends to be a bit more stubborn. I'm a female in my teens, about 6'0 tall and around 178 lbs. I'd like to lose about 20 lbs. I have a lean upper body, but my butt and thighs are pretty curvy (I'm a size 10-12).

For breakfast and lunch, I tend to be disciplined and don't crave sweets. But after dinner, regardless of HOW MUCH I eat (e.g. 2 grass-fed beef patties, lots of broccoli and brussel sprouts sauteed in butter), I always CRAVE something sweet. So on top of that pretty substantial dinner, I had a few handfuls of almonds, a few glasses of milk, 1/3 bar of dark chocolate, and a banana. Nothing explicitly UN-paleo (except for the dairy), but it's just SO MUCH FOOD. I just have a crazy desire to eat something on top of a massive dinner, especially something sweet. (And fruit just packs on weight for me!)

It's pretty important for me to remain in ketosis because these 20 lbs will pretty much fight tooth and nail to cling on. Did you experience something similar after eating especially low-carb? How do you combat the desire to eat something else? Is this a sign that I should really just eliminate sugar for good, so I can overcome the addiction?

Thanks so much! It's so valuable to hear the opinions of my fellow Primal veterans.
    I assume by low carb you mean that maybe for the first time in your life you are actually giving your body adequate nutrients, especially adequate ones from animals. Yeah, well, your body just woke up. It went wait, oh, wow, what was that? Gimme more of that!!! Once you've filled up your stores and reassured your metabolism you aren't going to starve it of what it needs anymore, that hunger will calm down.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

fcby9 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I assume by low carb you mean that maybe for the first time in your life you are actually giving your body adequate nutrients, especially adequate ones from animals. Yeah, well, your body just woke up. It went wait, oh, wow, what was that? Gimme more of that!!! Once you've filled up your stores and reassured your metabolism you aren't going to starve it of what it needs anymore, that hunger will calm down.
    Hmm...it makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way. I think it's just that my body doesn't tolerate sugar well (even in a natural form). I just need to keep feeding it the good stuff, like bacon and eggs scrambled in bacon fat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I used to handle it via a gigantic fruit plate (6- 8 servings of fruit), but now handle it with a long postprandial tea drinking with savory things that can be stretched to eat for an hour or so. I drink 3-5 cups of tea, slowly, and eat a small dish of chilled coconut milk and about an oz of fine-chopped cheese (tiny pieces); sometimes I go for a big bowl of fresh cabbage drizzled with balzamic vinegar & sea salt instead of chips. When I am extra stubborn, I go for 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, eating each berry for a long, long time....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    i know this will be ignored.

if you are in your teens. stay primal... your hormones are doing a lot of things to you and for you and you want that to happen as naturally as possible. pushing yourself to meet some goal while so much is out of your control is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

When you hit 23 then focus on "correcting" today focus on prevention.

eat well
    eat moderately
    exercise moderately
    get all your vitamins and minerals
    drink your water.

please at least consider this.
    Seconded, lots of growing still taking place

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    When I crave something and not sure what exactly, I use my emergency bottle of l-glutamine powder. Chew one teaspoon of the powder (it has a sweet taste), then chase it down with a cup of water and the cravings are usually going away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast