Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Primal ride, and I flat out BONKED page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Eh, now we're getting into keto versus non-keto exercise. They are different. According to some things I've read, a person in deep keto doesn't really need a huge breakfast if they have enough body fat to burn and can burn it. But I like the idea of eating a lot of high-fat food to add extra fuel to the fire, more immediately available calories for the journey's beginning. That makes more sense to me. Then you've got added carbs - bad idea if you are truly in good keto. Good idea of you ride the fence and know you'll switch easily from the carbs to burning fat instead of bonking. But you'd better be VERY confident in your body's ability to shift gears and get a lot of energy from fat. Then there's the carb-addict, who has to keep eating and eating carbs because their body cannot use fat for fuel. Nobody wants to be that guy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

a-ray is offline Member
    I've got to agree with others in saying that you probably are completely adapted to burn fat yet. Once you get to that point you will have no problems with your bike ride.

I went on a 17 mile bike ride last saturday morning and I'll I had to eat was a couple primal biscuits with some cheese, I didn't have bacon or eggs to add, and a cup of coffee. Had 2 bottles of water with me as well, but only drank 1 and maybe half of the other.

DirtRoadRunner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Eh, now we're getting into keto versus non-keto exercise. They are different. According to some things I've read, a person in deep keto doesn't really need a huge breakfast if they have enough body fat to burn and can burn it. But I like the idea of eating a lot of high-fat food to add extra fuel to the fire, more immediately available calories for the journey's beginning. That makes more sense to me. Then you've got added carbs - bad idea if you are truly in good keto. Good idea of you ride the fence and know you'll switch easily from the carbs to burning fat instead of bonking. But you'd better be VERY confident in your body's ability to shift gears and get a lot of energy from fat. Then there's the carb-addict, who has to keep eating and eating carbs because their body cannot use fat for fuel. Nobody wants to be that guy.
    I've been reading up on ketosis and it frankly sounds like a lot of work to get there. I'm a recreational cyclist and hiker, not competitive, so I don't think it would be worth the struggle. But I definitely don't want to go back to the carb-addict runner I was 4-5 years ago when I ate about 65% of my calories from carbs (and was subsequently hungry nearly all of the time and put on weight the instant I stopped running from an injury).

In the past I'd be good for 60-70 miles after with nothing but a Nutella-laden bagel for breakfast and a Gatorade and granola bar on the road. I'd hit muscle fatigure/cramping before bonking, rather than this weekend where I bonked even though my muscles felt fine. I'll try the "good" carbs this weekend before my ride. I've also heard that some Paelo/Primal people like white rice before a big ride/run, so perhaps I'll try that.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    A better approach might be something like a weekly carb cycle, so your body is accustomed to switching from one fuel to the other. I did a season with weekly four-ish very low carb days, then two or three nice, safe-starch heavy days, with fat dialed back if you want. This worked very well for me, and I only quit doing it because my life schedule got stirred up all messy-like. I don't go for marathon rides or jog, though. I sprint and lift heavy, with body weight ad-lib.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

goneprimal is offline Member
    ....have you tried seriously upping your salt intake?

Before you start convincing yourself it's a carb/ metabolism issue, try a teaspoon or two of sea salt dissolved in a cup of water.

Field tested. I've been paleo/low carb for years, can run a sub-40 10k, and mountain bike 4-5 times a week.

goneprimal is offline Member
    google hyponatremia. Here is a link to a list of symptoms for mild cases.
    Hyponatremia: Symptoms

DirtRoadRunner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post
    google hyponatremia. Here is a link to a list of symptoms for mild cases.
    Hyponatremia: Symptoms
    That fits my symptoms perfectly. I'll give it a shot. I'm eating very little salt, other that what I put on meat (seasoning) and salted nuts.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    yes i was puny on the bike for 4 wks after cutting grains out. It took my husband 6 weeks. Once you get thru the "carb flu", you'll be fine. Just give it more time.

another one with the primal/paleo low-carb thingy... eat some safe starches.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It took me a good month to get properly adapted, and I have done some good bike rides in this state, 50 miles plus with some serious climbs. No problem. Though, they were not competitive situations. It is so worth while getting adapted that it's worth rethinking your sport. I ditched distance running, now I walk the dog up a hill and do some sprints. I'm in way better shape and have more time, too. But like Knifegill said it takes time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast