Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis

Shop Now
    Today is Day 1 of my 3rd Whole 30. So far the experience has been grand. I'm 48 years old, 5" 10-3/4" and hanging between 149-151lbs. My body seems to 'like' 150lbs since it was there for years.

The goal is to drop more fat, and really lean out. My body likes to feel fit and 2 years of working on my Post Graduate degree has created some compromises.

The objective for the next 30 days is to document my approach to fat loss, and increased conditioning. I am a number counter and I am a geek, and not stressed by any of it. My motto is: You can't improve what you aren't measuring.

Over the past 2-3 weeks, my body has naturally drifted towards 2 meals per day. I've also noticed that I don't eat as much as most others on this forum, but I eat until I'm full -- never uncomfortable. I'm not an emotional eater and my biggest challenge is that I get bored easily and want to move onto the next 'task'. Therefore, I often get bored of my meal before finishing it -- something I'l have to work on.

And on a final note before the facts and figures of the day: I do not eat dairy, wheat, grains, sugar or legumes. I never eat fast foods, fried foods, or anything that comes in a package with a barcode --- the smell of fast food restaurants make me nauseous. I like clean, healthy, home, slow cooking.

So, without further adieu, there are the #'s for today:

Day 1 of 30:

Total Calories: 1,074
    Fat: 81.1
    Carbs: 19.9
    Protein: 68.1

Today's Weight 152 lbs

B-Fast:
    2 hardboiled eggs
    8 oz coffee with 2ozs coconut milk
    1/2 avocado

Lunch:
    small caesar salad (hold the croutons & cheese)

Dinner:
    small mixed salad with cucumbers, tomatoes & avocado
    1/2 rack of spareribs
    3 slices Proscuitto (and one for my dog)

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Workout - :60 minutes - outdoors

Warmup: 10 minutes:
    Skipping with weighted skipping rope

Main Work Out: 3 Sets of Each (short break between sets)
    20 Squats with 2 x 10 lb weights
    20 Lunges with 10lb weights
    Plank: 1 min
    Pull ups each arm: 15 with 10 lb weights
    Pull ups under a table (not able to do pull ups on a bar yet)
    SitUps with medicine ball on chest: 20

Warm Down: :20 minutes stretching on yoga mat and on yoga ball

Sleep Patterns:
    Wake up: 6am
    Sleep: 8-9pm
    Total sleep hours on average: 9-10 per night

Energy Levels: (0 - 10) **** 0 is the lowest and 10 being the highest:

9-10
    My day starts early with getting up and getting to work. Running all day at work with full energy levels. Leaving work to make dinner at home (I try to make 2 meals per evening) and freeze or make ahead. Workout, laundry, walking my fabulous dog, Basil, and then schoolwork, blogging or reading/researching. Luckily I work with my husband so I see him all day and he doesn't mind if I go to bed earlier than him.
    Last edited by Louisa655; 08-28-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    Louisa, do you eat fruit? I assume that no sugar means you've cut out fruit and sweet potatoes too? Interesting how you say you've never been an emotional eater. So even if something's beyond delicious (and totally Primal), you won't finish it if you're full? I admire that...

Also, how did you start eating just two meals? Many people say that they naturally do following the Primal lifestyle, but when I'm at home all day I tend to graze...NOT a good thing.

I have a similar build to you (around 15 lbs heavier than your starting weight), and I'm 6'0. I'm in my teens.

Paleobird Guest
    I've been staying in pretty much continual ketosis for all of August so far and I feel great.

Like you, I can understand intellectually why some people are emotional eaters but I can't really relate to it personally. I think the same people who are emotional eaters are also freaked out by the idea of counting calories and macros. To me, it's fun.

So many amazonian primal women around here. I'm 5'10" also.

Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    Louisa, do you eat fruit? I assume that no sugar means you've cut out fruit and sweet potatoes too? Interesting how you say you've never been an emotional eater. So even if something's beyond delicious (and totally Primal), you won't finish it if you're full? I admire that...

Also, how did you start eating just two meals? Many people say that they naturally do following the Primal lifestyle, but when I'm at home all day I tend to graze...NOT a good thing.

I have a similar build to you (around 15 lbs heavier than your starting weight), and I'm 6'0. I'm in my teens.
    FCBY9: Appreciate your comments/thoughts. I've never been a big fruit eater, so I don't crave fruit. Over the past two months of Whole 30's, the only fruit I ate was one serving every 2-3 days of wild blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. I've had 1/2 banana in the past two months. I don't dislike fruit, however my goal is weight loss, so I'm being rather strict.

Lovely girl, if you are still in your teens -- your body, soul and mind are still in development -- ahh, what a wonderful and challenging time those teen years are. I had four children (my twins are now 21, my son is 26 next week, and my 2nd daughter died of cancer -- as a child. I digress. You are way ahead just being educated about nutrition, exercise and having the maturity to be involved in this forum. Focus on eating good, wholesome foods --- and stay away from fast foods, sugary treats/desserts. I don't know of one teen who is 'happy or accepting' of their weight or body size/type -- such a tough crowd A great benefit of being lovely and tall is our ability to wear any type of clothing and looks good --- and we can hide a few pounds and no one notices I hope you walk tall, throw those shoulders back, and project your confidence. I often wear high heels which puts me around 6'3" -- and I love it! (my husband is 5'8" :0 Okay, I'm rambling, but no fruit for now. /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've been staying in pretty much continual ketosis for all of August so far and I feel great.

Like you, I can understand intellectually why some people are emotional eaters but I can't really relate to it personally. I think the same people who are emotional eaters are also freaked out by the idea of counting calories and macros. To me, it's fun.

So many amazonian primal women around here. I'm 5'10" also.
    Hi, Paleobird: Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences. I live in the city of Toronto, and from time to time when I ride the subway, I feel dwarfed by the high school girls --- young ladies these days are so much taller than I am and it's great to see this younger generation taller, vibrant and vivacious! This next month of staying in Ketosis will be an interesting project --- I've been an ultra athlete for years so I'm quite 'in tune' with my body both from a training and nutritional perspective. This long weekend is approaching quickly, and with no less than 4 social events, there may be some challenges ahead, but it won't be unmanageable. My biggest challenge will be no red wine for a month, but I think I'll be fine -- we shall see! Let's keep comparing notes, Paleobird --- here's to health, happiness and research! /louisa
    F, 48, 5'10"

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    FCBY9: Appreciate your comments/thoughts. I've never been a big fruit eater, so I don't crave fruit. Over the past two months of Whole 30's, the only fruit I ate was one serving every 2-3 days of wild blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. I've had 1/2 banana in the past two months. I don't dislike fruit, however my goal is weight loss, so I'm being rather strict.

Lovely girl, if you are still in your teens -- your body, soul and mind are still in development -- ahh, what a wonderful and challenging time those teen years are. I had four children (my twins are now 21, my son is 26 next week, and my 2nd daughter died of cancer -- as a child. I digress. You are way ahead just being educated about nutrition, exercise and having the maturity to be involved in this forum. Focus on eating good, wholesome foods --- and stay away from fast foods, sugary treats/desserts. I don't know of one teen who is 'happy or accepting' of their weight or body size/type -- such a tough crowd A great benefit of being lovely and tall is our ability to wear any type of clothing and looks good --- and we can hide a few pounds and no one notices I hope you walk tall, throw those shoulders back, and project your confidence. I often wear high heels which puts me around 6'3" -- and I love it! (my husband is 5'8" :0 Okay, I'm rambling, but no fruit for now. /louisa
    Thank you for your kind words.

Day 2 of Whole 30
    My day started at 6 am, after a solid 9 hours of sleep -- felt like a million dollars all day. Loads of energy and going strong. Could have skipped breakfast because I was not hungry, but wanted to start the day with some protein knowing that I would only have a salad for lunch. Survived Day 2 of no alcohol, sugar, wheat or other dubious food groups: Numbers for today:

Total Calories: 1,490
    Fat: 114 grams = 67%
    Carbs: 26.3 grams = 7%
    Protein: 92.3 grams = 26%

Today's Weight 152.8 lbs

B-Fast:
    2 hardboiled eggs
    8 oz coffee with 2ozs coconut milk
    1 avocado

Lunch:
    small caesar salad (hold the croutons & cheese)

Dinner:
    Ground beef stew with garlic, onions, carrots, spinach
    4" slice of cucumber & 1 Tbsp cream cheese
    2 slices Proscuitto (and one for my dog)
    2 Tbsp Sour Cream

Daily Supplements:
    Magnesium
    Iodine & Metal Trace Minerals

Workout - 10km quick paced walk in the pm

Sleep Patterns:
    Wake up: 6am
    Sleep: 8-9pm
    Total sleep hours on average: 9 per night

Energy Levels: (0 - 10) **** 0 is the lowest and 10 being the highest:

9-10
    Couldn't have had a better day -- felt amazing with loads of energy -- no cravings. Ketosis feels kinda like a runner's "high" --- everything seems to be calm -- nothing could phase me --- yet I'm thinking clearly and functioning on all cylinders. Cool feeling. I thought I would miss a glass of wine, but I don't. Feedback welcomed.

Calculating Louisa’s HSIS Weight, based on ideal BMI of 20%:

5’10” = 1.778M
    20*1.778*1.778 = 63.2kg
    63.2kg x 2.2 lbs = 139.04lbs
    Lean Body Mass = (1-0.2) * 139.04 = 111.232gm Protein Per Day
    Last edited by Louisa655; 08-29-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Trojan is offline Member
    I'm 5'9 1/2..can I join your amazon primal club?

I just started a journal myself about getting to ketosis and staying there for a while. Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers..

B
    SBF% 20.5
    CBF% 20.0
    Goal....14%

Muscle weighs more than fat and scales are evil.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I have been in Ketosis since June 1st and have never felt better. I have lost 45 pounds and am never really hungry either.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Hi, Paleobird: Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences. I live in the city of Toronto, and from time to time when I ride the subway, I feel dwarfed by the high school girls --- young ladies these days are so much taller than I am and it's great to see this younger generation taller, vibrant and vivacious! This next month of staying in Ketosis will be an interesting project --- I've been an ultra athlete for years so I'm quite 'in tune' with my body both from a training and nutritional perspective. This long weekend is approaching quickly, and with no less than 4 social events, there may be some challenges ahead, but it won't be unmanageable. My biggest challenge will be no red wine for a month, but I think I'll be fine -- we shall see! Let's keep comparing notes, Paleobird --- here's to health, happiness and research! /louisa
    During the August whole 30, I did two days where I indulged in alcohol and I'm kind of glad I did looking back because i have now come to the conclusion that I just don't drink anymore. Full stop. For each relatively minor bender (3 drinks one day and 3 glasses of wine the other) I set myself back by at least five days. I wasn't even having enough for a proper hangover but just the bloating, and the shift that I could feel back to a sugar burning state. The day after booze I would have crazy cravings that I never used to have. So, chalk it up to learning experiences and go on. This time I'm going booze free.

My question is this. Did eating clean make us more sensitive or was this reaction always there but we just never noticed it?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast