Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30, #3 -- The Goal is to remain in Ketosis page 8

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm thinking of this 4 day one I did as kind of a warm up for a longer one like 7-10 days sometime this fall (as soon as the weather is cooler).
    And I'm sure you have a collaborative relationship with your MD who would be supportive of this research venture. The human body is an amazing piece of machinery when everything is in balance. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Louisa655; 09-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Day 13 of Whole 30 *(3) - Saturday Sept 8 -- "Keep the Rubber Side Down!"

Day 13 of 30: (Sat)
    Calories: 1080
    Fat: 48.9 - 40%
    Protein 59.2gm - 22%
    Carbs: 48.9gm - 18%
    Alcohol: 20%
    weight: 149.4 (-5lbs) ---

It's Saturday and the day started with my husband taking me out for breakfast to our favourite little place. With a good menu and a flexible chef, it's easy to stay within the daily requirements. The next meal was dinner, followed by a near death experience, which resulted in me having two glasses of wine (more on that shortly).

Dinner was loads of veggies from our neighbourhood farm, and a really nice cut of steak. During dinner, and as dusk is starting to set, Hubby announces that the domestic bunny that I'm tasked with looking after, is 'missing in action'. We let the bunny out to roam the garden and hubby either fell asleep or didn't notice that bunny was MIA.

This newsworthy item led me to directly exiting from dinner in search of "Flapjacks". I couldn't find Flapjacks anywhere. My dog, 'Basil' was on the hunt with me and this rabbit was No Where to be found. Hubby joins in the search and it's starting to rain and it's getting dark.

I spot a small opening in our fence into our neighbour's yard and wonder if Flapjacks is over there. I use a chair to peer over our 12' privacy fence but can't see Flapjacks anywhere. Neighbours are away for the weekend and they "nail" their gates shut, so I couldn't get into their garden.

Next thing I know, Hubby who is 5'9" pulls up a chair to the 12' fence and begins to scale it, over into the neighbour's garden -- at which point there is a heart-stopping 'CRACK' and a scream. The 12' horizontal planking of the fence, and my husband crash 14' below, onto their stone steps. I rush over to the chair to peer over the fence, and my husband is bleeding from the head and not moving. I run around the front of our property to try to break into the neighbour's "Fort Knox" garden --- no deal. I run to the other side of their garden where their 2nd fence is bolted up with a padlock (what's with the heavy armour, me thinks). So, now I'm ripping the panels of their fence off. (Did I mention my husband is a surgeon and any broken bones is going to result in a problem for us?)

I'm calling to my husband that I can't get into the garden, trying to get his attention. He stumbles to his feet, and is bleeding from the front of his head AND the rear of his head. The rear gash was about 4" x 3".

Now, my husband is a man with a lot of pride, and he doesn't like anyone playing doctor to him. So, he starts telling me the diagnosis. Since neither of us can get him out of the garden in any safe manner --- the only option is for him to climb back over (it was an option that I didn't support, but you can't tell hubby anything). So, hubby, bleeding, clammers up 14' while I hold the chair steady on my side of the fence. I'm trying to 'help' him but of course, "I don't need any help". At this point, out of the corner of my eye -- I see bunny make a break for it, and run across our lawn --- SUCCESS! Flapjacks has returned!

So, long story short, hubby's not going to any 'damn hospital' and I ran for my surgical supplies. I come back out wearing surgical gloves, with ice, bags of frozen peas, gauze, bandaids etc etc. My hubby asks why I'm wearing surgical gloves (dah, so that I don't contaminate the wounds -- everyone knows that!).

Anyway, poor darling can barely move this morning and the front of his head, his eye, the back of his head are a mess. I don't know what he's going to tell patients tomorrow :0

SORRY FOR THE LONG EXPLANATION ON why I then poured myself 2 glasses of wine - - the thought of what COULD have happened sunk in and I needed a 'debriefing with a good Cab'.

This leads me to my Paleo Learning Lessons for Saturday:
    1. Near death crisis situations call for red wine --- even when you are in a strict Whole 30;
    2. Scaling fences, even as a fit, Paleo athlete may not be the wisest idea --- but bunny's life was at stake;
    3. I fully expected to be knocked out of Ketosis Sunday morning, but not so. I pee'd on my ketosis stik and well -- the colours don't lie! So, I'm getting the sense that so long as I'm eating <40grams of carbs a day, and avoiding all sugars, that I can jump into and out of ketosis with ease. I don't want to test this theory with too much alcohol while trying to lose this last bit of weight, but I'll put it into the book of 'next research project' .

Workout: 10km fast walk before dinner.

I also had to put away 2 more pairs of pants because my bum has shrunken so much that the linen pants look ridiculous on me. I'll weigh myself Monday morning but I'm sensing that I may have gone south of 149 which would send me over the moon with excitement.

Must dive into my studies now, but feeling good that the dreaded grocery shopping is done and bone broth is bubbling away. Poor hubby is trying to keep moving to prevent from getting too stiff. He's running the Toronto Marathon in a few weeks and then the NY marathon in early Nov --- there is healing to be done!

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone --- As we say in cycling: "Keep the rubber side down" -- which now applies to the soles of my hubby's shoes ;-p
    Last edited by Louisa655; 09-09-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    WOW!! Best wishes for your hubby (and you, dealing with same). Reminds me of Jamie's description of fitness utility after the big NZ quake last year - you just never know when you're going to need it, but when the problem hits, you'll work with what you have.

Paleobird Guest
    Yikes. This is one of those times when all you can do is be thankful it wasn't worse. And you got the bunny back so all's well that ends well. Healing thoughts to the Hubs.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Another interesting thing was that, after that one very keto break-fast meal of marrow bones, I didn't get hungry at all yesterday. I finally nibbled a little cheese and a handful of pine nuts before bed but I could have skipped them entirely. And again this morning I'm just not hungry. It's like the fat burning machinery is running just fine and says, "Nah, thanks but we don't need any food, body fat is nom."
    Wow, you're right, that is VERY interesting! I wonder if it's because your body if pulling fat from fat stores, or if it's just become uber efficient at pulling those calories from the marrow, nuts, and cheese? Probably not a sustainable way to eat since you don't want to dim the metabolic burning machine so to speak, but it is a good thing to know that you probably will be able to do your fast just fine when the time comes. Just make sure you have fat to burn when the time comes! lol

So I watched a few video clips on youtube today about ketogenic diets, a few of the videos were about children on ketogenic diets, (like "Katie's hamberger meal" or something like that) anyway, it was so sad, but so touchingly hopeful at the same time.

Oh my goodness Louisa! You had me riveted to your story with just the bunny! And then your poor husband. I can picture him lying there on the stones, bleeding! Aaaack! And then you trying to rip the fence apart bare handed.

So VERY, VERY glad that he turned out to be mostly fine. Here's hoping that he makes a quick and full recovery! (I'm assuming that his colleagues at work probably doctored him up a bit when he went into work the next day.

Okay, so my Primal Lesson Learned for the day, is that I need to splurge and buy a Le Creuset cast iron dish so that I can make stews!

I walked up and down a main shopping street in Vienna, and was so very, very disappointing to find that Austrians don't like crockpots. There was not even one, to be found. Yesterday morning, I had picked up some lovely stew meat, and so I pulled down my stock pot and made stew in the oven today.

I cooked it forever because I had the oven temperature too low, but eventually I got it up to the right temp. The meat was soooooo tender, the vegetables perfectly cooked down. Was soooo incredibly yummy! Happy day.

I also did a lot of house cleaning today, laundry, etc. And I finally decided to throw out my size 18 pants! They are waaaayyy too loose and if I try to wear them one more time, it'll be far past embarrassing. So I threw them out! It felt really, really good. My 16's are loose on me already, so I figured it was a safe thing to do.

Also, of note, is that a few days ago I tried on a pair of my 14's and they almost fit. Which I found incredibly surprising! I remember being a 14 before, and I seem to think that I was down in the low 190s or high 180s when I was one.... Perhaps it's vanity sizing...

Stats for today: Calories, 1,707 -- Fat 148 -- Protein 56 -- Net Carbs 25
    78.3% fat / 13.1% Protein / 8.6% Carbs

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Wow, you're right, that is VERY interesting! I wonder if it's because your body if pulling fat from fat stores, or if it's just become uber efficient at pulling those calories from the marrow, nuts, and cheese? Probably not a sustainable way to eat since you don't want to dim the metabolic burning machine so to speak, but it is a good thing to know that you probably will be able to do your fast just fine when the time comes. Just make sure you have fat to burn when the time comes! lol

So I watched a few video clips on youtube today about ketogenic diets, a few of the videos were about children on ketogenic diets, (like "Katie's hamberger meal" or something like that) anyway, it was so sad, but so touchingly hopeful at the same time.
    Probably both. I didn't get hungry today until noon. I was kind of glad I did actually feel hunger again. I was sort of starting to worry that maybe I had 'broken" my hunger sensors or something. But all is well. Fat bread spread thickly with mascarpone for lunch is a wonderful thing.

Probably both. I didn't get hungry today until noon. I was kind of glad I did actually feel hunger again. I was sort of starting to worry that maybe I had 'broken" my hunger sensors or something. But all is well. Fat bread spread thickly with mascarpone for lunch is a wonderful thing.
    Yay!!! So glad you felt hungry! And mascarpone is divine, isn't it!? Lately, I've been using some of my alloted carbs by mixing applesauce with the mascarpone. Oh my goodness, it's heaven.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    PB, whew, I was wondering, is the girl ever gonna eat again?? I'm in ketosis but I look forward to eating twice daily.

Louisa, WOW!! So glad everything turned out not tragic~ I fell off the top step of a 12 ft ladder trying to put thick plastic on my greenhouse fan vent and thought my neck was broken, it wasn't but hurt like hell for weeks, every part of my body hurt for the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post

So VERY, VERY glad that he turned out to be mostly fine. Here's hoping that he makes a quick and full recovery! (I'm assuming that his colleagues at work probably doctored him up a bit when he went into work the next day.

Thanks for your positive thoughts -- he's having a rough day -- the worst is his sore back -- Calling the chiropractor today and keeping the head wounds clean -- yeash!

Okay, so my Primal Lesson Learned for the day, is that I need to splurge and buy a Le Creuset cast iron dish so that I can make stews!

I love my Creusets --- You can use them on the stove top and then put them into the oven and right to the table -- great cookware.

I also did a lot of house cleaning today, laundry, etc. And I finally decided to throw out my size 18 pants! They are waaaayyy too loose and if I try to wear them one more time, it'll be far past embarrassing. So I threw them out! It felt really, really good. My 16's are loose on me already, so I figured it was a safe thing to do.

Wooo Hooo! What a good feeling, isn't it? Good that your 16's are getting loose -- few more weeks and you'll be moving into the 14's. What progress!

Stats for today: Calories, 1,707 -- Fat 148 -- Protein 56 -- Net Carbs 25
    78.3% fat / 13.1% Protein / 8.6% Carbs
    Great stats on your foods today. Any walking outside today?
    F, 48, 5'10"

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast